Need Tractor Advice (and education)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #41  
Hi Dennis,

If you don't mind I'd sure appreciate knowing how much you settled for on for that JD4600. I'm in Oregon and a 'friend of a friend' heard I was in the market for that size tractor and he said he'd let his 10 year old 4600 with the 4600 loader and back hoe go for around 15K...unfortunately it has 2200hrs on it although the guy is known to look after his equipment. I haven't seen it yet but plan to soon.

Hope yours is working out for you!

Rgds,
Gray Goodman

Gray -

I paid $20,000. Mine is about the same age in time, but only about 440 hours on it. It had it's 400 hr service at a JD dealer, so it should be good to go for a while.

I like the tractor very much so far. :thumbsup: Look for my two threads over in the John Deere Buying/Pricing section.

If the one you're considering has been well cared for, that amount of time should not be enough to scare you away. Besides that, compared to my deal, the price reflects the higher time.

Good luck in your search.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education)
What's the "break point" for hours on a tractor of this size? I know that many people have tractors that have been around for years/decades/etc. but I'm trying to figure out where I should put my comfort level for hours on used tractors that I'm looking at...should I try to stay on the small side of 1000 hours, 500 hours, 2000 hours, what?

In looking at some of the Kubota tractors (looking at the Lxx10 series, especially) I find that they tend to be 1000-2000 hours. In previous searches (Lxxx30 series) I'm finding the tractors with 200-600 hours. Is there a number I should be less willing to go beyond (not saying Unwilling, but that it's a threshold/guideline)?

I'm thinking I'm going to end up landing on a hydrostatic DK45se, L3430/3830, or L3410/3710 (dont know if hydrostatics were available for these, but it looks like they were). Any of these would put me in a unit that's powerful enough to do everything I will probably require without being under-powered, while still having the size/agility to get around the trees. In looking at these, I'm looking for the 'larger' of the FELs available for each model (i..e. the 723 rather than the 523). I've considered going 'down' to a 3130 and think that it would probably fit all of my needs, but (1) I don't want to be unerpowered and be stuck in a tractor, and (2) there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the prices. If you have a 3130 and can provide feedback, that would be awesome.

Does that sound reasonable to most, or am I a crackhead? (actually, those two things aren't really mutually exclusive)
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #43  
What's the "break point" for hours on a tractor of this size? I know that many people have tractors that have been around for years/decades/etc. but I'm trying to figure out where I should put my comfort level for hours on used tractors that I'm looking at...should I try to stay on the small side of 1000 hours, 500 hours, 2000 hours, what?

In looking at some of the Kubota tractors (looking at the Lxx10 series, especially) I find that they tend to be 1000-2000 hours. In previous searches (Lxxx30 series) I'm finding the tractors with 200-600 hours. Is there a number I should be less willing to go beyond (not saying Unwilling, but that it's a threshold/guideline)?

I'm thinking I'm going to end up landing on a hydrostatic DK45se, L3430/3830, or L3410/3710 (dont know if hydrostatics were available for these, but it looks like they were). Any of these would put me in a unit that's powerful enough to do everything I will probably require without being under-powered, while still having the size/agility to get around the trees. In looking at these, I'm looking for the 'larger' of the FELs available for each model (i..e. the 723 rather than the 523). I've considered going 'down' to a 3130 and think that it would probably fit all of my needs, but (1) I don't want to be unerpowered and be stuck in a tractor, and (2) there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the prices. If you have a 3130 and can provide feedback, that would be awesome.

Does that sound reasonable to most, or am I a crackhead? (actually, those two things aren't really mutually exclusive)
-Scott

There are several threads on hours, here is just one:http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/201883-2500-hours-lot-2.html

"Hours" are measured in different ways. One will be in hours of the engine running, another in engine running at PTO speeds with an hour to hour correlation at that speed and percentage at lower RPM. Some may even go by when the key was on, but that will be on really small machines.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #44  
have you thought of renting a tractor and rotary cutter kinda like a long test drive??? I myself rented a Kubota L3200 this past weekend to mow my pastures. I learned alot about newer equipment last weekend.

L3200 enough power for 60" rotary cutter, didnt like HST w/o cruise, tractor was too small frame for my frame, no way to rest my arm on fender or arm rests, sore back and shoulder after 5 hrs mowing, needed the 4wd with R4 tires..this suprised me the most

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education)
have you thought of renting a tractor and rotary cutter kinda like a long test drive??? I myself rented a Kubota L3200 this past weekend to mow my pastures. I learned alot about newer equipment last weekend.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a smart idea. I donno how much it is to rent a tractor for a few days, but I may end up doing that to see what I like/dislike, and what power of engine I may need.

Thanks for the suggestion.
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #46  
I used my own rotary cutter just rented the Kubota L3200 it cost me 135.00 with tax and ins for a day. But it told me I need a larger framed tractor and I dont like R4's it Rained on me so the next morning it was wet. several times i needed 4wd when mowing in tight places. Never needed it with my old Ford or MF

I called several places and found a john deere 5203 2wd, kubota L3200 hst 4wd and a deere 3520 4wd e hydro I picked the kubota prices were simlar