Buying Advice Need some compact tractor buying recomendations

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #1  

Badger65

I am getting ready to take the plunge and buy a compact tractor to help me maintain my property. I have less than 5 acres. Following shoulder surgery I find that I can't lift and dig like I used to. I'm hoping a compact tractor will help with some of those jobs around my property. I'm looking for a machine with a loader and small backhoe. I'd like to add a posthole digger later. I have 2 Kubota and a Kioti dealers within 50 miles of home. I've also found a Mahindra dealer and an LS dealer about 60 miles away. I was originally looking at the Kubota BX25(23 HP) but I'm worried that I'll be sorry I didn't buy a larger tractor down the road. I've also looked at Kubota B2920 (29 HP), Kioti CK20S (22HP), Mahindra 2216 (22HP) and 2516 (25HP)(which I really liked) and an LS S3010 (28.5HP). In spite of the different HP capacities, the tractors are close in price. I've compared these models against each other and they seem comparable except for weight (the Kubotas are lighter ). This is a big purchase and I don't want to get it wrong. I don't know much about the Kioti, Mahindra and LS brands except what the dealers have said. Can anyone give me some advice about what I should consider before I buy? Thanks!

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #2  
The Mahindra 2516 is a slammer of a machine!
1,000lbs plus lifting capacity small platform tractor.
I think if you are going to spend a little more and get out of the subcompact tractor category. The 2516 Mahindra is the way to go.
The Kioti CK20 is underpowered for its weight. I have sold lots of CK20 and now Bobcat CT122's but I do tell my customers that the use of high range will likely never happen.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #3  
What tractor chores are going to occur on your 5 acres? What will be the tractors primary use? Will it be used year round, summer, winter? What other equipment do you have like riding lawn mowers or snowblowers?

How often do you plan to use a backhoe and posthole digger? If you just need to put in a fence, hire a fence crew for this one time job and save your money (and shoulder).

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations
I will be using the tractor all year as I may eventually add a mower and snow blower. Right now I have both a lawn tractor (getting old) and a snow blower. I will use the tractor to help with digging holes for tree planting, to dig drainage ditches, to help in the build of two stone retaining walls (carrying the blocks etc.), to maintain my driveway, move mulch for our extensive gardens and yes, I will be putting in two fences. I'm sure a tractor will come in handy for other chores as well.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #5  
Badger65 You will hear get the biggest machine you can afford, which is good advice. I have a Kubota B2710 which I purchased in 02 with FEL, BH, box scraper, and brush cutter. I have since added a landscape rake, power grader, chipper, and grapple. I can only speak for the Kubota but my little 27 horse has been plenty good for me. When I purchased I had no idea of all the uses I would need it for, and originally I wanted a post hole digger. Never thought I would need a roto tiller but now I'm in the market for one. I would start with the basics the FEL and BH are indespensable, for some of the projects you got listed. You will think of many other uses, and some you may have the wife talk you out of:laughing: I would do the same start with what you need and as projects come and go so won't implement purchases.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #6  
I am getting ready to take the plunge and buy a compact tractor to help me maintain my property. I have less than 5 acres. Following shoulder surgery I find that I can't lift and dig like I used to. I'm hoping a compact tractor will help with some of those jobs around my property. I'm looking for a machine with a loader and small backhoe. I'd like to add a posthole digger later. I have 2 Kubota and a Kioti dealers within 50 miles of home. I've also found a Mahindra dealer and an LS dealer about 60 miles away. I was originally looking at the Kubota BX25(23 HP) but I'm worried that I'll be sorry I didn't buy a larger tractor down the road. I've also looked at Kubota B2920 (29 HP), Kioti CK20S (22HP), Mahindra 2216 (22HP) and 2516 (25HP)(which I really liked) and an LS S3010 (28.5HP). In spite of the different HP capacities, the tractors are close in price. I've compared these models against each other and they seem comparable except for weight (the Kubotas are lighter ). This is a big purchase and I don't want to get it wrong. I don't know much about the Kioti, Mahindra and LS brands except what the dealers have said. Can anyone give me some advice about what I should consider before I buy? Thanks!

Considering your shoulder situation, I'd concentrate first on which implements you'll need and how you'll get them connected to the 3-pt hitch without causing a problem with your shoulder. I'd start with Deltahook

3 point hitch | 3 point quick hitch | 3 point tractor hitch | The Deltahook

It's pricy, but so are visits to the ER and OR.

Trying to connect a heavy implement like a brush hog to a standard 3-point hitch can be a chore. I generally have to use a 5-ft steel pry bar to get the pins aligned close enough that I can kick the lower arms onto the implement hitch.

As far as tractor brands, I've owned two new tractors in my life--a 2005 Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL and a 2008 Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL. The 7510 is 21 hp engine/17 hp pto while the 5525 is 54 hp engine/45 hp pto. I'd recommend either one based on my experience.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations
Thanks for the information. The Delta Hook looks like a winner.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #8  
The Delta Hook looks good. Until you get into the application of it.

Each implement will need one of those attachments hooked to it from the outset, or ya need 2 people to switch it(according to the video) wth each implement change, which kinda defeats the purpose, or gives an astronomical cost if one has several implements. The standard 'Quick Hitch' may be a better idea.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #9  
I will be using the tractor all year as I may eventually add a mower and snow blower. Right now I have both a lawn tractor (getting old) and a snow blower. I will use the tractor to help with digging holes for tree planting, to dig drainage ditches, to help in the build of two stone retaining walls (carrying the blocks etc.), to maintain my driveway, move mulch for our extensive gardens and yes, I will be putting in two fences. I'm sure a tractor will come in handy for other chores as well.
Careful thought will need to be given to the highlighted section also. A lot of 'compact' tractors cannot be purchased with a 'belly mower', like your lawn tractor has. (the BX25 is a subcompact)

Be careful before you buy.......look at everything, and get it as a package up front.

/ Need some compact tractor buying recomendations #10  
Badger65,

I'd probably not choose something smaller than 30-35HP (diesel) 4wd and not less than 1000 lb lift on the Front end loader. You can do amazing things with these new compact 4wd machines. You need to think about rear lift capacity, will you be using a brush hog? Always look for the heavier frame tractors and check the weight of each one you look at. If the tractor doesn't come with the weight on the frame, I guarantee you will need to spend more $ for weight. Heavier frame machines seem to last longer. A bare tractor in that size should weight 2,500 lbs, then add the FEL or another 800 lbs, then get the rear tires filled with non corrosive liquid, add another 600 lbs. This additional weight will make digging into a dirt or gravel pile much easier and will save time. A 7.5 foot back hoe is the smallest I would go for that size. I like the New Holland TC1520 or TC1510. Proven affordable machines. They play a lot of games with Horsepower these days. I look for naturally aspirated engine HP not Turbo Horsepower. I'm not fond of Turbo's although a lot of guys swear by them. Make sure you look hard at the front loader design, if its built light, chances are it will spring or bend. Make sure the brand you choose will be around a while, because you will probably have it for while. Enjoy the search, it should be fun as well as a real learning experience. You will be amazed at the deals you can find when they realize you are ready to spend the $ right away.