Tractor Search

/ Tractor Search #11  
HST is definately easier and more fun to use. However they will cost more to repair when they break, and probably be a dealer only repair job.

When an HST goes bad it is usually all the way out, unlike a gear tranny which will usually complain and get your attention before it goes all the way out. Towing a tractor with a HST can be a problem with some brands too.

Check out the 'What's ailing my bota 4610' thread in Owning/Operating on this board to see what can happen when a HST goes south.

As you can probably tell I like gear trannys best. Synchro with shuttle shift is my favorite.

Good luck and happy tractoring /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tractor Search #12  
Nokesville,

You have opened up a very interesting topic that has been covered massively in this forum. Try searching and changing your parameters to look for posts older than a few months and you'll most likely find a thread called Gear vs. Hydro. This is a very large thread that will include merits on both sides.

I test drove gear tractors and then found my current machine which is hydro (I bought it used). I didn't mind the gear tractor and you'll get responses from many who wouldn't choose any other kind - but I was a new tractor user when I got mine and I have to say that for loader work, usual estate type mowing, and just general use hydro is far and away easier to use and your left leg gets a break for not having to shift. I'm currently in the market for a grey market tractor to fix up and play around with and my choices are limited to gear tractors. I don't have any problem with this whatsoever but if I was only going to have 1 tractor then it would be hydro for sure. Best of luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor Search #13  
slowrev,
I don't think standing a tractor up on end so the HST can not pick up oil is "going south", just beyond the angle the designer "envisioned". "Shuttle shifts" are pretty much a hydro anyway.

One more thing how many "gear" folks have a manual transmission in their car/truck?

Nick

/ Tractor Search #15  
Slowrev, I spoke to a NH/Kubota dealer yesterday (Thursday) about our HSS (hydraulic shuttle shift) NH 2120. Estimated repair is $5000 to replace the forward and reverse shuttle clutches, worst case scenario. I asked, what do the hydrostatic drives for your Kubotas cost? He said, he did not know off hand becasue they have never yet replaced one. Not even one I asked, never he said. Hmm, whats the guess for a new hydrostatic drive for a L series, ball park I asked. $2000 brand new, not rebuilt and installation is actually similar to that of a geared or manual transmission so labor costs are similar. Since the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel for a HST will never wear out from use, that won't need replacing, I don't think the argument you make is accurate. In the thread whats "ailing my Bota", that could very easily have been, "What the heck is going on with my NH 2120". Our 2120 has HSS and it is stuck in forward. Forward is forward, neutral is forward and reverse kills the engine regardless of gear or engine RPM.

"when an HST goes bad it is usually all the way out, unlike a gear tranny which will usually complain and get your attention before it goes all the way out."

That could be true, but from my dealers point of view, speaking only for Kubotas, it has yet to apply itself. Maybe the owners go elsewhere to have a repair done, maybe he's been very lucky, but from a statistical point of view, I think the hydrostatic drive has been pretty well designed against failure.

I still thouroughly enjoy my manual transmissions. There are times when they are a bonus to be sure. More power to the PTO etc., more speed control (sort of) but that is so rarely ever a concern, that its hardly worth my attention.

Rat...

/ Tractor Search #16  
Nokesville, price the JD 4310 while your at it, the difference on hydro at my dealer was only $1000 more than shuttle shift. We have both types and I like Hydro better, by far.

Pretty much everone hit the nail on the head so far. A rotary cutter can do a good job on flat ground with gentle slopes. But bumps will get scalped. I don't care about scalping, I figure I'm "leveling" the high spots out. Finishing mowers will give a better cut but can't take the punishment of brush or saplings(not to mention rocks and junk). If your land is like a lawn, without trees or any of the aforementioned crap in it, get a pull behind finish mower. Otherwise, get the hydro and a Shredder as we call them down here. Actually, a Kubota Z type front end mower is the very fastest for mowing but not used for anything else.

Anyone who has to mow in between my trees would quickly appreciate the hydro for close quarter mowing.

My two cents...Kyle