Tractor Search

/ Tractor Search #1  

Nokesville

Once again, thank you for all the suggestions and advice. Based on everyone's comments, I am convinced that I need to look for a tractor in the 28-30hp range (12 acres mowing). With that having been said, I have started looking at the JD790, NH TC30, and Kubota B7800. I really like the NH TC30. It's roomy and the gear lever is off to the side. Based on my limited budget and the fact I plan to mainly use the tractor to mow my 12 acres, I am looking to purchase a gear drive over the hydro.

I would like to get some feedback from everyone on their opinions of a gear drive -vs-hydro. What's the reliablity with each? I have heard the gear drives are basically indistructible. I have also heard the hydros are reliable, but when they breakdown you better have deep pockets. Any truth to these statements?

I would also like to know what "extras" you recommend as part of my tractor purchase. Wheel weights, water/antifreeze in the tires, turf tires/ag tires, etc. In addition to the tractor, I plan to purchase a 72" MMM and a FEL.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

/ Tractor Search #2  
<font color="blue"> ( I would like to get some feedback from everyone on their opinions of a gear drive -vs-hydro. ) </font>

<font color="red">WARNING! End to cold war could be over!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just kidding. There are so many posts here on gear VS hydro. My suggestion would be to read as many of them as you can. Also, see if a dealer will bring one of each out to your place and let you test drive them in your real world situation. Hands on experience will help you very much. Good luck in your search.

<font color="red"> Duck and cover! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Tractor Search #3  
Nokesville,

I agree with Mossroad. Read up on all the post. My personal opinion is Hydro is the best way to go. I kind of compare it to automatic transmission versus clutch in a car. And I hate clutches. If you are mowing in the wide open and not going around things, the clutch would be great. But if you are going around things all the time then the hydro would be better and faster. I also think the hydro while may be more expensive to fix, it is a lot more reliable than use to be in all brands.

Now I am not sure about New Hollands TC30, but my TC29D with Hydro has cruise control. So if you are going long distances with mowing you can click that in and then put your feet wherever.

What ever you do, just make sure you have fun and keep it safe.

Murph

/ Tractor Search #4  
I have a power shift tranny and wish I had hydrostatic. I think the hydro is easier to use and safer.

I have ag tires and in limited traction situations they are hard to beat. Ags really mess up the grass when it is wet. My tires are getting worn and I am wondering if I can talk myself into getting the new tires filled with foam. Weight equals traction unless you are in deep mud. I couldn't do without 4WD. I put the snow chains on for the first time during the big snow but they didn't help that much. I have about 150 pounds of weight on the front which really helps keep the front tires on the ground when I use three point implements.

For me the variety of attachments that I have are what really make the tractor useful. I use the chipper/shredder alot. The rear blade works well in snow up to a foot but I couldn't plow two feet with it. I'm planning to plow and harrow some of the corn field this year to turn into pasture. I use the rotary cutter a lot.

I got most of my attachments used. I keep my eye on the classifieds in the paper and watch for equipment by the side of the road with a for sale sign and check the local tractor dealers from time to time. Saves a bunch and other than being rusty they all work fine.

Chris

/ Tractor Search #5  
Nokesville,

If you play with the search function here, and search for something like hydro or hydrostatic you will find a lot of posts.

When you click on a post listed in the search results, you will be taken to a thread where that post resides. You will quickly find many posts of interest on just about any topic this way...

Sometimes it is hard to zero in exactly the first time, but you will find what you want. Then after digesting a lot, you will have the background to ask specific questions and you will find people here very generous in their advice.

Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS...as far as the extras go, I forgot to add the block heater to mine and had that added later. Not that it is hard to do...but it is cheap [and easy] to have the dealer do it...

/ Tractor Search #6  
Oh yeah Lights! if you are going to work after dark it is hard to have too much light. At least on my tractor the stock lights don't quite cut it. Extra lights on the ROPS would be nice and something to light up the implements behind too.

Chris

/ Tractor Search #8  
The class III boomers have a 2 speed cruise and it works great for mowing, not to mention 84" MMM.
I mow about 2/3 of 8 acres and never touch the hydro pedals.

/ Tractor Search #9  
I've owned both, hydro and gear tractors. I like the hydro a lot better. It'll make mowing much easier, especially around trees and close to buildings.

You did mention the price difference. You could get a 3pth mower instead a mmm. That might save you the difference of a gear tractor and hydro. I've got a 3pth mower and it does fine.

As far as AG tires, I've had AGs and R4s. The R4s are better on the lawn than AGs.

The reliability issue on the hydros, I don't know. I haven't heard any say anything about having an major problems with them. I have heard a clutch replacement on a gear tranny isn't cheap, so it may equal out.

/ Tractor Search #10  
I perfer the HST tranny to the gear especially if you will be using your tractor primarily for mowing as I do.

In order to help on the budget you may want to consider a 3pt finish mower as mentioned in another post theyprovide a very good cut and removal is easier.

I think if you will be mowing 12 acres every week you will want at least a 6 foot mower maybe you could swing for a slightly larger tractor with more PTO HP and get an 8 foot mower.

As a point of reference it takes me about between 40 - 45 minutes per acre to mow at my place with limited trees, toys, and rock formations to mow around. I cut mine with a Wooods RD 6000 and my B-7500. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif