sleeved cylinders

/ sleeved cylinders #1  

Whiskey

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM 187 Yanmar / JD 790
Was out shopping last weekend, you know trying to spend the little wifeys money on a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and had one of the dealers tell me out of the three 30 hp. CUT's I'm looking at, his was the only one with sleeves in the block. Got me to thinking is this all that important.

Out of the three tractors I'm looking at they are all cast iron blocks and best I know the sleeve's are cast iron so what gives. Is this a rebuild issue meaning it's easer to rebuild if you only have to put new sheeves in when overhauling as aposed to boring out a motor and sliding in a sleeve, or can you even bore out a non-sleeved motor for fear of getting the walls to thin or comming to close to oil and water passage in the block? Does a sleeved motor last anylonger than a non-sleeved motor?

Last but not least should I even care about this on a CUT tractor being it's not a big farming tractor that is going to be working it's butt off everyday to make a living for me?

so in lighten me guy's

Whiskey

/ sleeved cylinders #2  
I never bothered to see what mine has.
If lasts 4-6000 hrs. I will rebuild it then.
I don't know how much u can over bore them (w/o sleeves)
but should be able to get 1 and probably 2 over bores SO
10-15000 hrs I will just throw it away and get a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now if u have some kind of failure like a wrist pin gets kicked out just dry sleeve it to std. and go on.
Clean oil and clean air <font color="green"> IS </font> the life of
any motor or mechanical system.
U know<font color="red"> 'PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER' </font> .

/ sleeved cylinders #3  
sleeved engines are nice. You can do the rebuild without a machine shop, and you do not have to be concerned about the machine shops qualilty of work. Sleeves can also be bored oversize. I would not make the sleeve issue a major buying decision though, unless maybe I was planning on keeping the tractor for a long while and or using it commercially. I think other decision factors should factor higher in your buying decision.

Just curious, which brand has the sleeves ?

/ sleeved cylinders
Slowrev:

Remember this was told to me by a Kubota dealer and I don't have anything to back up the others don't have sleeves.

JD790 & TC30 no sleeves
Kubots L3000DT has sleeves

kind of funny that my little YM187 Yanmar has sleeves and the JD790 dosn't being that it is a Yanmar tractor

Whiskey

/ sleeved cylinders #5  
This debate has been going on for years in the ag-tractor circles. There are plenty of all three types out there,and they all seem to be reliable. About the only one that does have some trouble is the wet sleeve design. Leaking O-rings and cavitation errosion is hard on these if not kept in good maintenance. It seems that it all boils down to taking care of the tractor and changing the anti-freeze with the correct type ever two years. If your manufacturer suggests coolant conditioner,than by all means use it!!

/ sleeved cylinders
Thanks guy's for the response:

I get it now it's a non issue when looking at the differant brands. Guess it just perked my ear when he said it and was thinking of long life but as always good maintenance is the key to any motor lasting.

Thanks again
Whiskey

/ sleeved cylinders #7  
<font color="blue">10-15000 hrs I will just throw it away and get a new one. </font>

Hoeman00,

I'm estimating I'll be at the 90 hour mark when my tractor turns 3 y.o. this June. After 10-15,000 hours, my great, great, great grandchildren will be throwing it away to get a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I guess by then, they'll deserve it.

I agree, I think this is a non-issue for most.

~Rick