Buying Advice Kubota M series

/ Kubota M series #1  

High Compression

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60
Hey gang. I am looking to buy an M series Kubota, but with so many models, I'm not sure what I need. So it will definitely need to push a 12-14' snow pusher. Then in the summer months, a 11' disk mower, and round baler. With as many transmission options as models, that doesn't help either. Whats the difference other than horsepower, between the Mxx40 series and the M1xxX, series and the M1xxS series?:confused:

/ Kubota M series #2  
I'd think that the power shift would be a big plus for your work over a sraight transmission! The hydraulic shuttle would be a must and normally come with power shift transmissions.

The 11' disc mower eats a lot of horsepower so I'd be looking at the 126 or 135!

/ Kubota M series #4  
Interestingly, I have 2. A venerable M9 (The tractor that I always considered to be the 4020 of Kubota, the longest running production large frame tractor that Kubota sold)

My M9 has the optional creep transmission and the dual speed 540-1000 pto. ....has the hydraulic shuttle and a hydraulic main clutch. I typically run all the hay tools with the exception of the BR780 round bailer with it and it handles everything just fine. I bought the M after Kubota discontinued that series, ordered it and waited 4 months for the tractor (my dealer had to make sure that Kubota still had the necessary components to assemble one and they did). It is a 12x12 transmission, 4 on the main box and 3 on the auxilliary.

I also have a 105S which is the new style cab and ac with low vents and oval cab lights. It is a 12x12 power shift. The 105 and the 9 have the same 4 cylinder turbo charged air to air engine and both operate at 540 at the same engine rpm, 2250. The 105 is only 540. It stays coupled to the BR780 because the computer that controls the bailer takes some cab room and it's easier to just use it for round bailing. The 105 came in an X version with joystick on the armrest electric powershift. I didn't get that.

The M is 83 PTO and the 105 is 90 PTO, both have plenty of grunt, good on fuel and comfortable. Both have cast rear discs and both have double sets of remotes and draft control (not that I use it). Both are excellent utility/forage tractors. I was more concerned with torque rise than actual horsepower. It's the torque rise that gives you the power to run implements, especially round bailers, where, as the bale size and density increases, the engine has to be able to hold a steady rpm as the load imposed increases, that's where torque rise comes in.

Both have quick detach front end loaders but the 105 has the long parallelogram linkage. The M has the short, conventional linkage. The capacity is more than enough on both loaders for anything I do. Both dismount fairly easily and remount so long as you keep in mind the physical size of the loader. Neither is a little tractor, consequently, the loaders are large.

I did opt out of the Kubota QD attachment on both tractors and replaced the QD front's with ATI quick detach Bobcat style plates that have industry standard spacing so I can quickly (in about 5 seconds), change out implements.

Both are very fuel efficient and I'm happy with both though I do run the M a lot more. It's my favorite.

The 105 will handle an 11 foot disc mower and/or discbine no problem or just about any Cat 2-3 rear mount implement.

I'd recommend a use, low hours M9 as well (if you can find one). Mine isn't for sale.

/ Kubota M series #5  
The big difference, other than horse power, is the transmissions.

The Mxx40 series have a basic synchronised transmission with 8 or 12 gears. (On the 9540 you can get a 24 speed trans which has a high-low in each of the 12 gears.)

The Mxx S series have what kubota calls Swing Shift. It gives you more gears but you still need to clutch to change gears. This should explane it.

The Mxx X series have a 16 speed power shift where you don't have to clutch to change gears. This will explane it.

The S and X series also have a longer wheelbase than the Mxx40 series. For what you are wanting I would go for the X with the power shift. As to how much horse power you would want, I don't know. Hopefully that makes it a little more clear.

Ed

/ Kubota M series #6  
For a round bailer, I would vote for at least the 8540 or 9540 :thumbsup:

We commericially run a NH BR780 net/twine with the 105 with no problem whatsoever. I have run the 780 with the M9 and it to, does a fine job.

No matter what, I'd get the hydraulic shuttle. It saves the main clutch and the Kubota Hydraulic Shuttle is progressive, that is, shuttling no load versus heavy load, the shuttle senses the load and valves in the hydraulic fluid for a smooth start or reversal.

/ Kubota M series
Thanks so much guys. That has cleared a lot up. Does anyone have any experience with the new M135X with the front suspension? Driving it around the dealers yard is much different than cruising across the hay field. Does it really help or is it a ploy to spend more money?

/ Kubota M series #8  
My opinion is that it's just more parts to wear out. I've run tracked machines, less compaction on tilled fields and good flotation but no suspended tractors.

I had a chance to operate a JCB once but declined.

If you are at all concerned with rough ride, opt for an air ride seat and be done with it. I've retrofitted air ride seat bases in my M's with great success both for ride and my kidneys.:D

/ Kubota M series #9  
   / Kubota M series #10  
Then you will not know what to compare all others to :)

That's not a problem. The JCB Fastrak isn't what I'd need to farm with. If I was travelling longer distance, maybe but then again, maybe not.:)

Interesting unit however.