Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions?

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
My primary tractor around the farm is a L3400 which generally serves me quite well.

I've got 13 head of cattle now with calves. 10 or so acres of pasture and lots of manure that tends to accumulate which I like to spread in the fall.

I have a New Idea 210 spreader which my 34 hp handles like a champ. I don't overload it though.

It really is a pain though to have to unhook the PTO and spreader from the drawbar when it is time to load the spreader, and then hook it up again. I waste time doing that and don't particularly enjoy it.

I'm pondering getting an older 2WD tractor to hook the spreader to. Seems excessive, but I also like some of the older tractors and think I would enjoy having one around.

Deere has done an incredible marketing job because my little boys think that I should have gotten a Green tractor to begin with! So JD is an obvious make to consider. The reality is that I am open to whatever is a good reliable tractor that can be had for the $4-5k or lower range that can pull the spreader and that parts are available for. I strongly prefer diesel as I have a nice tank with a pump.

Some tractors that I particularly like - aesthetically are the MF135, 165, 235 and 250. I have no clue what JD models I ought to consider in the 40 or so hp range that I think I need to pull this spreader. Any others?

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #2  
The idea of having a second tractor around the farm has multitudes of positives. (That's why I have 14 currently....At least that's my EXCUSE!)

Limited to $5000 as a maximum, your choices of 40/50hp Deere's is somewhat limited....at best. As far back as the 40 series, (2040-40hp, 2240-50hp) sell upwards of $7500 in decent shape. Go back a step further to the 20 or 30 series, and the "collectable value starts to kick in....Not uncommon to see 1520's, 2020's, 2520's, 830's, 1530's, and 2030's selling in excess of $7500 also. You MAY find a "deal" on one of those models, but that'll be the exception rather than the rule. Typically, any post 1960 Deere utilities selling for under $5000 will be rough at best. BUYING a Deere is when their legendary resale value is a hard pill to swallow.

Around here, some of the best buys on "cheap HP" are International Harvestor's. Not uncommon to find 'em for half what a comparable Deere sells for. There are TONS of nice 574's around here. They are GREAT tractors for the money they usually fetch. Another model that is a LOT of tractor for the buck is a 706. They often show up around here for less than $5000. Depending on what year, they are 70+ hp. (and VERY good tractors)

I'm with ya on the Massey Fergusons. For what you're planning, I'd shop for a nice 165, 255, or bigger. For dragging around a manure spreader, overkill is far better than "underkill". I looked at a pristine 175 yesterday that had an asking price of $4500. I would be buying it to re-sell if I bought it. Not enough meat left on the bone for that though....(Usual resale value around $5000...by the time I bought it, hauled it home, and then re-sold it, I wouldn't make enough to justify tying up the cash)

Lots of good deals on older (X000 series ) Fords, Allis Chalmers, Olivers, ect....Parts are still available on most popular models.

Another consideration, you might look at BIGGER tractors. (ie 50 to 100hp) They have a little less demend overall than smaller utility tractors, so the prices aren't always so disproportionately high. You should be able to find a number of brands and models from 50 to 100 hp for LESS than $5000.

The thing to keep in mind, when you buy an older farm tractor, you are buying the condition of each individual tractor rather than the reputation of a NEW tractor years ago. What WAS a great model may be a worn out piece of junk. And what was originally a "decent" model may be in mint condition now, and a much better choice. I don't like to lock myself in to one model when searching for a used older tractor. Keep you mind open to whatever comes along IN GOOD SHAPE and AT A GOOD PRICE.

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #3  
Personally I'd stay away from diesel in your ideal price range. For $4 to 5K you are going to get an older tractor where old diesel engines can be problematic, especially if used infrequently. I have had great success with an Allis Chalmers D 14 gas model. It would be just the right size for your requirements and it's orange to boot. Good ones here in Minnesota will run from $2500 to $4000. They are reliable, run cheap, easy on and off, and can set for months and pop right off when you need it again.

OrangeGuy

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #4  
Ford 2000 can be bought if in really good shape for under 4000,And I believe the pto hp is 40+gas motor. Im guessing on the hp but it will pull my 6ft shredder......

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions?
Ok I think you guys just opened me up to gas tractors as well. Its not going to get much use - probably less than 15 or so hrs per year - so its not like going to get gas in a gerry can is going to be much of an issue.

I'm open to suggestions on diesel and gas.

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions?
   / Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #7  
Ford 2000 can be bought if in really good shape for under 4000,And I believe the pto hp is 40+gas motor. Im guessing on the hp but it will pull my 6ft shredder......

2000's are low 30's hp. 3000 is the 40hp class 1000 series Ford.

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #8  
Personally I'd stay away from diesel in your ideal price range. For $4 to 5K you are going to get an older tractor where old diesel engines can be problematic, especially if used infrequently. I have had great success with an Allis Chalmers D 14 gas model. It would be just the right size for your requirements and it's orange to boot. Good ones here in Minnesota will run from $2500 to $4000. They are reliable, run cheap, easy on and off, and can set for months and pop right off when you need it again.

OrangeGuy

Let's "qualify" that statement.....You can find all sorts of DIESEL MF135's, 150's, and 165's, well under $5000. (Under $4000 in fact) Those Perkins diesels tend to be MORE reliable than most gas engines of the same age. My 150 will start in the worst winter weather. I know of several Perkins diesels with well over 10,000 hours that haven't ever had any issues. I had a GAS Ford 3000 for years. (was my loader tractor) I'd use the the DIESEL 150 to jump start the cold natured 3000 far more times than I'd like to count.

I won't "avoid" gas tractors, but they are a second option IMHO.

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #9  
AN mf or white with a perkins is definitely a good option. I wouldn't bother with gas, I hate tinkering with points etc.

/ Second tractor for manure spreading suggestions? #10  
Not a thing wrong with GAS tractors we have had an old massey that was my great grandads and till this day we still use it,and I own a ford 2000 the thing doesnt use oil, starts easy,and use it monthly great on gas.Hasnt been hard to start in winter.All we used was gas growing up shredding all day. I own both (new)diesels and (old)gas.Try getting an estimate on rebuilding a diesel to a gas motor........