Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1710 & 1600, Kubota G6200, Simplicty 2010, Allis Chalmers B110, Montgomery Wards Squire 9

Default Re: 4wd garden tractors

Im not sure about zero turns, but most garden tractors run 12" weights. Easy to find on eBay. They usually interchange no matter the brand. They run $50-$150 mostly. You need to measure the rims to see if they would fit.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I am very satisfied with the x749 Deere with 4x4ws, handles steep grades well. Built low and wide for good stability you can add wheel weights but don't think you would need them.

Tractor
    mf10

Quote Originally Posted by Taftag View Post
    I have 2 mowable acres with fairly steep side hill/ down hill areas. I bought a cub cadet zero turn tractor 3 yrs ago and have regretted it because it cant handle the hills well and i get scuffs. Thinking about replacing it. Looking for suggestions and if a trade in might be an option because i'm into the cub cadet for over $4k with attachments

Have you looked at this mower?

SuperSlopeMaster: Commercial Steep Slope Mowers

I have seen one of these and they go straight up INTERSTATE freeway high angle overpasses.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308

I've got a steep (very steep in places) 1.4 acres that I also tried with a zero-turn and it was slipping downhill and tearing up the grass. Also uncomfortable on uphill turns, I know what you mean!
    I bought a Cub ZTT (zero-turn tractor) and I absolutely love it. It has the zero-turn capability, but sits very low and wide, I can now comfortably mow the steepest hill sideslope. (took awhile to get used to the feeling) Not sure about other makes, but Cub makes a 42", 46" and 50" model. Definitely a whole lot cheaper than a 4wd garden tractor!

Good luck!

Tractor
    Foton 82 hp with loader,Ferrari Cobram 65 & Shibaura D23F

I had the same issue with steep hills. This was what I bought. Safe as.

‪Grillo Climber 9.21 Mower (HD) "At Work" Part 1‬‏ - YouTube

Cheers Zac

Tractor
    2012 Kubota GR2021

The jd 749is what i was thinking about but its expensive. However it would probably seem less expensive if i hadnt blown a few grand already on my cub ztt 46" with bagger. The jd dealer said blue book on it would be about $1k but i dont't know how to check that. Also wold consider buying used but nobody seems to want to get rid of those 749's in any of the used places ive seem online

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by Taftag View Post
    The jd 749is what i was thinking about but its expensive. However it would probably seem less expensive if i hadnt blown a few grand already on my cub ztt 46" with bagger. The jd dealer said blue book on it would be about $1k but i dont't know how to check that. Also wold consider buying used but nobody seems to want to get rid of those 749's in any of the used places ive seem online
    An outstanding product, but be aware the green paint is known to be expensive. You can find a similar orange machine (kubota... equally good equipment) for several thou less $, and there are other good brands also. It pays to do some shopping.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    An outstanding product, but be aware the green paint is known to be expensive. You can find a similar orange machine (kubota... equally good equipment) for several thou less $, and there are other good brands also. It pays to do some shopping.

Grandad4,
    Curious which model Kubota you are referencing?

When shopping last year I didn't find anything similar to the x749. The x749 is expensive for a garden tractor imo, IIRC I paid $13,100. +sales tax for the X749 with choice of 48 or 54" mmm, limited cat 1 hitch, 540 pto and 4 42# front suitcase weights.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    Sounds like you are on the same path that I was on. I bought a ZTR and tried to mow my hills and that didn't work out so well as you have described. I ended up getting a BX1500 with a 54" deck and that is the tool for the job.

Love these BX1500 Tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    An outstanding product, but be aware the green paint is known to be expensive.
    * You can find a similar orange machine (kubota... equally good equipment) for several thou less $, and there are other good brands also. It pays to do some shopping.

*Here's a couple of them .
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner
    I want a Simplicity 4WD lawn tractor for this, but
    *another 12 grand on top of the price of my compact tractor is something I just can't bring myself to do. Guess I could look for a used one.
    I would go for a new or used Bx1500 or Bx18XX.
    This one brand new cost me less than $7800.
    More tractor for less money than the JDx749 or Simpilicty Garden Tractors and a step up from a garden tractor.
    Last edited by LBrown59; 08-10-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Grandad4,
    Curious which model kubota you are referencing?

When shopping last year I didn't find anything similar to the x749. The x749 is expensive for a garden tractor imo, IIRC I paid $13,100. +sales tax for the X749 with choice of 48 or 54" mmm, limited cat 1 hitch, 540 pto and 4 42# front suitcase weights.
    I was thinking of the BX type machines, as LBrown noted. The x749 admittedly has some nice features, particularly 4 wheel steering, but the BX has all the basics to make a fine 4x4, diesel, hydro, power steering, mid-mount mowing rig for quite a bit less than $13k. Just comparing specs, the machines are more similar than different in weight, power, width, drivetrain, tires, wheelbase and so on. If the OP figures the X749 would do the job at his place, there may be some situation in which it would work while a BX wouldn't, but I don't know what it would be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast