4wd garden tractors

/ 4wd garden tractors #31  
I have a dixie chopper filled tires and knobby tread should work to stop the slipping unless it is wet then nothing helps

/ 4wd garden tractors #32  
Do you need AWS or just AWD/ 4WD? I thought simplicity makes a more entry level 4WD model, or the BX1860 or GR series are some alternatives to the JD X series. Nice piece of property by the way.

/ 4wd garden tractors
This may seem like a novice question but how do you pump fluid through the valve system? I have a feeling my bike pump wont get the job done.

/ 4wd garden tractors #35  
First, you put down plenty of newspaper to soak up the mess you're going to make. :laughing:

Actually, it is a pretty cumbersome process (it was for me at least). There's a tool you can get at an auto supply store to remove the actual valve (called a Schrader valve) from inside the valve stem. You need another fitting that has a valve stem thread on one side and a garden hose thread on the other. Then you rig up one of those impeller pumps that runs off an electric drill, a funnel and you start pouring. Don't forget to jack up the tractor before you let the air out. :)

If you are in a farming area, there will be a local tire dealer that services ag equipment who does the same thing commercially for farmers. In hindsight, it would have been a whole lot easier for me to have just paid someone like that to do it. I can only speak for myself and maybe others had an easier time doing it.

By the way, you have a beautiful home, and I see why you need something a bit more capable for your mowing chores. I would think any 4x4 setup would operate well on your front lawn, although you have some trimming work where the 4 wheel steering or something like the Kubota F with a front deck would save you from using a push mower.

/ 4wd garden tractors #36  
Taftag,
It would be easier to have the tires filled at a tire store or your dealer if this is your only piece of equipment to deal with.

Nice place you have and shows lots of TLC.:thumbsup:

If you need to upgrade an x749 would do well for you without extra weights. Looking at your pics I didn't see anything steep enough to be an issue for my mower.

/ 4wd garden tractors #37  
This may seem like a novice question but how do you pump fluid through the valve system? I have a feeling my bike pump wont get the job done.

I use a small pump with the valve from Tractor supply that is used for filling tires. Then mix your fluid and hook up your pump to this adapter.
Tractor Supply Tire Ballast Valve

/ 4wd garden tractors #38  
I was thinking of the BX type machines, as LBrown noted. The x749 admittedly has some nice features, particularly 4 wheel steering, but the BX has all the basics to make a fine 4x4, diesel, hydro, power steering, mid-mount mowing rig for quite a bit less than $13k. Just comparing specs, the machines are more similar than different in weight, power, width, drivetrain, tires, wheelbase and so on. If the OP figures the X749 would do the job at his place, there may be some situation in which it would work while a BX wouldn't,
*but I don't know what it would be.
*Neither do I.

I used a cub cadet 129 garden tractor with ATV tires and they were fluid filled up until
* I got my BX1500 which is 4WD. The old and I mean old cub cadet was made in 1973 and it was a real quality machine. Set up with the ATV tires that were fluid filled it was a tank but not like the 4WD.
*What do you think about thr comments concerning the BX1500 in post number 23?

/ 4wd garden tractors #39  
I agree with the others to try all the simple less expensive fixes first such as hdap tires, wheel weights or fluid and adjustment of control levers to specs.

About the x749,
I really like the hdap tires as they have great traction without damaging the lawn. I do have 3pt a boxblade, rearblade, landscape rake, pine needle rake, chipper and other tow type spreaders and carts so far it has done a good job handling all of these implements. The thing that sold me on this model was the tight turning radius with all four wheels engaged and the variable hydraulic front wheel drive axle, much less scuffing if all the wheels are pulling at the right speeds. For lawn work I felt this is better than mfwd.

Most of my uses for the x749 is to perform cleanup in tight places where the larger compact tractors won't fit, so far it has performed admirably. Backing implements such as rakes between trees is much easier with the 4 wheel steer and is something that comes up all the time for me.

The BX series Kubotas' are good garden tractors as well and a better comparision would be the Kubota BX2360 or BX2660 to a Deere x748. The x749 with all wheel steer is quite different from any of these in handling. If you compare the prices I don't see much difference when comparing apples to apples.
The BX tractors are SUB COMPACTS and the x748 x749 ect are Garden Tractors.

/ 4wd garden tractors #40  
*Neither do I.

*What do you think about thr comments concerning the BX1500 in post number 23?

I guess you would just have to try one to understand. The BX1500 is a fine little machine and it has met my needs for a lawn machine. I cut 3 solid hours of hills and banks every week. Just what I need.:thumbsup::thumbsup: