4wd garden tractors

/ 4wd garden tractors #1  

Taftag

Tractor
2012 Kubota GR2021
I have 2 mowable acres with fairly steep side hill/ down hill areas. I bought a cub cadet zero turn tractor 3 yrs ago and have regretted it because it cant handle the hills well and i get scuffs. Thinking about replacing it. Looking for suggestions and if a trade in might be an option because i'm into the cub cadet for over $4k with attachments

/ 4wd garden tractors #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ 4wd garden tractors #3  
Deere has (or had...I don't follow the lawn tractor market) a couple AWD models (not zero-turn machines though).
Before you trade off....can you mow up and down slope? Think that would reduce the slippage and scuffing? Maybe a more aggressive tire tread? Or, filling your tires (probably not much weight can be added due to their size) or weights to increase traction?

I suggest you investigate these options before seriously considering a trade. You'd likely take a pretty good hit on any trade at this point in time.

Welcome to TBN!!

/ 4wd garden tractors
There is no way I could possibly go sideways without flipping in a couple places so I do go up and down, but a little bit on an angle because there is also a steep side hill in the middle due to a 12 ft underground wall from when the septic system was upgraded before I bought the property. I've also got a huge bed on the steepest part of the hill that I need to drive around and half of it is under pine trees where I have to make the turn at the top and its always a scary moment. I also have a cyclone raking system that I inherited from the prior owner, but can't use it in the front because its not powerful enough to pull the weight.

/ 4wd garden tractors #5  
Sounds like you are on the same path that I was on. I bought a ZTR and tried to mow my hills and that didn't work out so well as you have described. I ended up getting a BX1500 with a 54" deck and that is the tool for the job. :thumbsup:

/ 4wd garden tractors #6  
I have similar problems, i.e., I have to trim around trees on a 20 degree slope. I want a Simplicity 4WD lawn tractor for this, but another 12 grand on top of the price of my compact tractor is something I just can't bring myself to do. Guess I could look for a used one...

Until then, I'll just keep using with old JD 185 with rear weights to help with traction.

Attachments

• nv43802_1.jpg
    nv43802_1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,887
   / 4wd garden tractors #7  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum. :)

/ 4wd garden tractors #8  
I mow a few steep hills. Cast iron wheel weights and R-1 tires will make a giant difference. Lower the rear tire air pressure as much as you feel comfortable with. Also, if you can, drive up the steepest hills and go down the shallower hills. There really isnt a safe way to go down a steep hill. :(

/ 4wd garden tractors
What is involved with wheel weights in terms of installation and cost? It might be worth a try but i dont want to throw good money after bad

/ 4wd garden tractors #10  
Several companies make some pretty neat equipment for mowing on hills and slopes. For example, Kubota has a 4wd ztr-type mower (The "F" series), and you should also check out Ventrac and Steiner.

Those units are commercial type equipment, so unfortunately they are pretty pricey. A good used unit might be more affordable yet still have years of useful life. The trick would be finding one. Ebay, Craig's, dealers, on-line equipment traders, etc.