What Bush Hog would you buy?

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #11  
I prefer Woods Products and have a Woods 6' BrushBull Brush Hog. I find Woods to be the best choice for long lasting equipment. I also have a Woods BackHoe 7 1/2', Woods 6' Rear Finish Mower. I've had no problems. Just my two cents.

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #12  
soundguy: are you talking an 8' 3ph hd mower for a 4310? what's the weight of it? would you be comfortable on a slope with that setup? just asking bb

many of those models can be setup as pull type, or you can run it as semi-mount too.. or.. even as 3pt.. just don't go lifting it 3' off the ground while on a slope.

as for mowing slopes.. don't really matter what mower it is.. you can't mow on too steen a side slope... got to be safe.

soundguy

/ What Bush Hog would you buy?
Thanks guys I am thinking maybe the 6' Bush hog not sure yet though need to do some more research....definitely want a 3PT hitch model. Now how about blade maintenance on the Woods, land pride, and bush hog?

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #14  
blade maintenance is gonna be blade maintenance. pretty much the same no matter what ya buy..

big blades.. shoulder bolts.. big nuts.. etc.. etc...

soundguy

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #15  
blade maintenance is gonna be blade maintenance. pretty much the same no matter what ya buy..

big blades.. shoulder bolts.. big nuts.. etc.. etc...

soundguy

I agree!!!All make it only as easy as it gets........

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #16  
Check the detailed specs on all the brands you're considering. If you don't want to dent the deck on the first rock, look for thicker steel. Some of the manufacturers use 3/16 steel for the decks with 1/4 inch side skirts.
Also look at the deck reinforcements, particularly where the gearbox bolts down.

All three brands make pretty nice units, but some are better designed than others, IMHO. Only you can decide what is best for the weight your 3PH can handle.

All that said, I have my eye on the "New for 2011" Land Pride units, which I think are designed quite well... on paper at least. I'll reserve official judgement until i see one in person and get to crawl under to check "the bones..."

BTW, The Woods units make blade maintenance a bit easier by doing away with the huge 1 11/16 nuts and high torque values.

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #17  
Like the others said, check your specs on your tractor. I think 7' is getting too big, at least the way I use one.

As for brand, cant go wrong with either 3 and a few other brands out there.

Chris

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #18  
on the 7/8 issue. If it can pull a 7.. I'd try an 8.. in most cases a dual blade 8 is easier to spin up than a 7' single spindle. ditto on weight. a 8' mower only needs to be 8' wide and 4' long or so.. a 7' mower has to be 7' long and wide if a single spindle..

I'm not saying eihter are correct for the machine .. just that if a 7' is possible.. try for an 8.. etc.

soundguy

/ What Bush Hog would you buy? #19  
think you are moving in right direction. 6'. matter of weight specs. my terrain requires the lift 3ph model too. re: blade maintenance, just be sure you block up the unit before you crawl under to remove them. i purchased a 2nd set of knives (like a chain saw chain} just to keep it ready for action. as far as deck, look @ the thickness specs on various models. previously had the BH 296 (72" model) w/no complaints. my 8' Rhino has a double walled deck, not sure if it's avail in the 6' model. one interesting note: extreme heavy duty units ( 1.5" + dia cuts) can actually work against you in terms of weight and quality of cut, and are designed for rough cutting (ie right of ways, etc).....i'll bet you'll find the right fit. good luck bb