question on hours and pricing

/ question on hours and pricing #1  

Anonymous Poster

Been looking at used tractors again. Gives me a knot in my stomach, something about the price....
Anyways, how do dealers figure what is the average hour use per year on compacts and subcompacts? According to Machinery Link it makes a difference on the pricing (makes sense, it does w/autos w/ mileage). Any help would be greatlay appreciated.

/ question on hours and pricing #2  
Tabby,

Welcome to TBN. Your question is a tough one. Automobiles have somewhat of an average based on statistics. Each year more and more people are driving more and more. The Department of Transportation gathers this information. The average at one time was 12,000 miles per year. Now it is more like 20,000 miles per year. Don't quote me on them.

Tractors are now being used for so many different things. Very seldom did use them for mowing lawns like we do today for example. But there really is not organization gathering this information that I am aware of. I have had my tractors for two years. I have put about 80 hours each year on the tractor. Some farmer or construction company may put on 200 hours per year or even more.

This would be a scientific wild guess but I would think about 100 to 150 hours per year would be average. I would think if you would call a couple of dealers or kind of look around at used rigs and make an average of all of them. You would probably come up with a number pretty close to the big boys.

Rest of you TBN'ers though out your average. Hours divided by years owned. Lets' help tabby here. Mine is 80 hours for each year.

Murph

/ question on hours and pricing #3  
<font color="green">my garden tractor was about 50hrs per year,i would imagine that my new tractor will be a bit more than that closer to 80 or so,this is home owner use no commercial. </font>

/ question on hours and pricing #4  
Hi Tabby-

Welcome to TBN. When I bought my used Ford 1520 about a year ago, it had 700 hours on it. Since it is a 1995 model, that works out to about 100 hours a year that the previous owner used it. I know he used a finish mower, but I don't know how much property he mowed or what else he used the tractor for.

I have put 150 hours on it in about a year's time. This was just cleaning horse pens, doing some gravel work on driveways, cutting and hauling firewood, re-doing some of the landscaping around the house, clearing snow from a 450 ft driveway and parking area, etc. We have 19 acres, and recently cleared about 5 acres (hired a big rig to do the clearing). Haven't yet started mowing the pasture.

For a "Weekend Warrior" to use the tractor an average of two hours every weekend, you would be looking at 104 hours per year. Those lucky enough to work close to home and have time to use the tractor in the evenings or in their work will put on more hours.

However, the real issue is how well the owner kept up the maintenance (changing oil, filters, hydraulic fluid, and fixing the little things right away before they get more serious). A desiel engine with 500 to 1000 hours on it ishould be just getting broken in if the maintenance has been performed on time.

As for hours vs. price, there are a lot of other variables, such as geographic location, brand loyalty, personal preference, appearance (was it parked outside or kept garaged when not in use?), etc. Probably not much help, but keep reading the stuff in this forum and buy Muhammad's book if you want to learn before you buy. It is packed with good information for new tractor buffs. Shopping and learning is part of the fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (even if it can be mind-boggling at times /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

/ question on hours and pricing #5  
I am coming up on the 3rd anniversary of buying my BX. I am sure that by that April date, I will have 500 hours on the tractor. That would work out to 167 a year. I maintain two three acre properties, and plow snow from a 300' driveway in the winter.
Will

/ question on hours and pricing #6  
Tabby

Have two tractors in different places and Iaverage about 100 hours a year on them. I just maintain property with them and a little farmin to feed the deer

Bartman

/ question on hours and pricing #7  
bear in mind that not only the hours but what kind of hours. can u give us alittle more info?

/ question on hours and pricing #8  
Unfortunately unlike autos the tractor and implement prices are pretty secret. It's very difficult to get ahold of the dealer books on prices. As far as how they figure it just depends on the tractor, the condition, records, etc.

/ question on hours and pricing #9  
T I have put about 80 hours each year on the tractor. Some farmer or construction company may put on 200 hours per year or even more.

Murph )</font> 200 hours a year, i doubt any construction company or even farmer would put that few hours on a peice of equipment in a year, the machine would never pay for itself that way, an average work week is 40 hours, so in 5 weeks you could easily put on 200 hours. i remember a place i was working for part time had a volvo loader and there was ceartain maintenance that it would tell you needed to be done, it would show up on the onboard computer screen on the dash and it was based on the hours the machine was run,i had been doing some work on the machine in the shop and took care of all the services at the time, then a few days later i had to fix one of the headlight gaurds that had gotten broken,well i looked at the screen and it said it needed servicing again, in the mater of 4 or 5 days they had put over 60 hours on it, so ya gota realize construction and comercial stuff gets run long and hard in most cases compared to homeowner use

/ question on hours and pricing #10  
My Kubota dealer is very happy to look up whatever I want or just hand me the book to look it up myself. I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal since that book is never going to buy one or sell one, anyhow. It's only a guide and you can't see the one they saw to guage that price. It still takes a ready and willing buyer and seller to create a transaction.