Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy?

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
For almost the same cost I have located three older tractors nearby. All are gas engines, the Deere and IH don't have working tachs so no real idea of the hours. The Massey has about 1800 hours on a working tach and that seems reasonable given the history as a small tobacco farm tractor. The IH is the only one that has a ROPS.

Assuming everything works on all three (it does) which would you buy and why? Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #2  
Deere 2010 gas wasn't so bad of a tractor, but had to live down the bad rep of the 2010 diesel. Both had some early issues with tranny problems, the diesels had terrible engine problems. They didn't stay in the line-up long before they were dropped in favor of an improved 2020. Since it's still a running. working tractor some 50 years later, chances are it's not a "problem child".... But, at best, the 2010 wasn't the best tractor Deere Inc ever put on the market.

The IH 354 is "OK", but a tick under powered IMHO. It's a smaller, less powerful alternative to the highly respected 454. Kinda rare in the sense you won't find a lot of them. That can cause issues with availability of "re-man" parts, used parts, even NEW parts... Still a worthy tractor IF it's in good condition.

MF 35 Deluxe. The worlds most copied tractor. In addition to the thousands and thousands of Ferguson TO35/Massey Ferguson MF35's, there have been several "copies" built under license from Massey Ferguson. They sell (to this day) world wide, and are one of the most respected small utility tractors EVER. With all the thousands of knock offs (Same, IMT, ect) there are more 35's in use worldwide than any other single tractor design. They're just that good of a design. Simple, reliable, common as bugs on a bumper, they are a tough act to beat. MF/AGCO, and a host of aftermarket vendors supply parts for the 35 as well as any model or any brand in existence.

Given those 3 choices, and assuming all 3 are in equal condition, I'd be all over the MF35. 2nd choice would be the IH. And that's a distant 2nd in my book.

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #3  
the 35 is probably the best tractor out of the three you have found and it will be the easiest to get parts for

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy?
What makes a 'Deluxe' different from a regular 35?

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #5  
What makes a 'Deluxe' different from a regular 35?

The 35 Deluxe came with 2-stage clutch, lighting, and gauges as a standard equipment package, as well as power steering as an option.

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy?
What if I threw an IH 444 with 500 actual hours into the list of choices? Would everyone still choose the Massey?

How does $3000 sound for the Massey 35 with nice new paint (partially restored)?

Thanks to all of you to your replies so far. This site has been a rean boon to me!

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #7  
What if I threw an IH 444 with 500 actual hours into the list of choices? Would everyone still choose the Massey?

How does $3000 sound for the Massey 35 with nice new paint (partially restored)?

Thanks to all of you to your replies so far. This site has been a rean boon to me!

You'd sure make the decision a LOT harder.....

If condition of the pair were the same, I'd SLIGHTLY favor the Massey, if only because I know them better. That said, 444's had a little more hydraulic capacity, although the 35 has better hydraulic CONTROLS (ie draft control/position control) It would boil down to condition and price. EITHER could be a good tractor.

$3000 for a MF35 is right at the top of market value. I've seen a few nice ones around here in the $2500/$2800 range.

Keep in mind the condition of the tires on which ever one you settle on. New rubber could add another $1000+.

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #8  
One of my favorite tractors growing up was the 424 International that was replaced by the 444. In the seveties I bought one that was a basket case from a neighboring dealer that was dead from major abuse.
The tractor pulled three sixteens and with the sensitive standard draft control it worked great with about three hundred lbs of weight on the front and that was with unloaded rear tires with one set of weights! I was able to pull the plow at about 4 to 5 mph and not miss a beat, occasional wet spots were not a problem with the Differential Lock standard equipment and rare to be found on the Massy. It would run a six foot brush hog any where and any place, tried a seven but with only three hundred lbs of front weight while driving up the road I virtually had to steer with the brakes.

It was a diesel and in as much as it was killed from either starting when I bought it while rebuilding the engine and doing a little blue printing it would start at 50 with about six turns without glow plugs! It started down to 0 with out any trouble with just the glow plugs and no block heater

The Massy 35 group are common tractors no doubt! But it wouldn't be my choice if tractors were comparable in condition and price!

/ Deere 2010, IH 354 or Massey 35 Deluxe? Which to buy? #9  
ih 444 would be my choice by a long way. i have run both a 35 and a 444.