Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad?

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #11  
<font color="green"> John Deere's web site seems to return inconsistent results. I swear I am following the same path through their web site but sometimes I end up not where I thought I was going.

Their search feature is terrible. However this may be due to the fact that at their web site they basically repeat the same content over and over and over for each and every tractor model with a different web page file name. This results in a tremendous number of redundant hits when one attempts a search. Their attachments page is one such example.

In all fairness there are some good things about their site but it is easier to recall the bad things because of the level of frustration they create for me.</font>

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #12  
Cowboydoc,

Not to nitpick, but you can't do this very well. Any published images is more than likely a jpeg. You can enlarge it as you suggest, but the quality will be terrible because there is not enough image data there to allow the picture to expand. You can expand a tif file in this manner but it is rare to find a tif published to the web since they are so large. Tifs have the ability to "fill in" the data as they are enlarged. probably more than you wanted or need to know about this stuff but just thought I'd share one area I know something about.

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #14  
Forget about touching and feeling, my dealers deliver and leave for a week or two to USE.
That is the only way to go /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It's nice to have good Deere, NH, and Case dealers.

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK, apart from the graphics which you say you don't like.....what else is so bad about the websites?
....Bob )</font>

I was only really ranting about the itty ibtty pictures, I still think this is kinda cheesy. I don't have a real problem with most aspects of the web sites. With some digging and a bit of screwy navigation I can usually find what I am looking for.
Except.... one other thing I found bugged me a little.
While browsing the JD site. I was checking out the model 2210, I followed the link to the attachments page, I then followed the link to the specificatons page, hoping to get the specifications for a specific attachment (FEL). Nope, it dumps you back to the specifications for the tractor. Maybe the information exists, but I couldn't find it. I didn't try to find specs on the Kubota BX2200 FEL yet, but I have a flyer with those.

Yes, I realize there are other resources for pictures.
Yes, I understand the complexities of building a good website.
Yes, In general the sites are useful
Yes, I believe they offer a reasonable first point of information, and I do prefer to "kick the tires" and see the equipment in the green or orange flesh. But this brings up another point that I'll continue in another thread....

To be continued...

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #16  
<font color="blue">"...I followed the link to the attachments page, I then followed the link to the specificatons page, hoping to get the specifications for a specific attachment (FEL). Nope, it dumps you back to the specifications for the tractor. Maybe the information exists, but I couldn't find it...</font>

OK....JD isn't infallible. I noticed this myself in researching specs for my 4710 purchase and attachments. But, I did find most of what I was looking for on their website. JD as well as many other tractor manufacturer's websites have an extensive amount of information on them and they continually upgrade data and factual information to portray as best as they can an accurate portrayal of the products they offer. Maybe, they just haven't gotten to this weblink yet or maybe they are not cognizant of it.

You may want to send an e-mail to their service contact to let them know of this inconsistency.

....Bob

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #17  
Deere's isn't perfect.

But
Comprehensive Specs
Configurator
User Defineable Comparator with export to Excel
Parts Lookups
Online Manuals
Regularly Updated
Tons of related info
Comprehensive finance tools
Toy Catalog /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Definately a league of its own. Actually a part of the reason why I went Green.

Now some refinement on navigation
Specs and pricing that include attachments (loader, backhoes, etc.)
More "clickable" pics (that enlarge to show detail)

I think that the website is one area where even a small manufacturer could be on an even playing field with the big guys. I promise you that even the most rural buyers are using the web like crazy, these days...

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #18  
I'll agree most sites are hard to navigate and find specs, I found this also whaen i was searching, I ended up with a Mahindra 2810, but whaen i was looking there site was poor, they have since improved some, but still lacking, I have to say the dealer i bought mine from has a pretty good and easy to find specs on there site, does lack pricing, but has loader, backhoe and tractor specs for the Mahindras, NewEnglandTractor which the Mahindra site has tractor specs but no other specs for loaders or backhoes.