Novice needs input

/ Novice needs input #1  

mikeintexas

I recently acquired 21 acres, half slopes, half flat. Will require about 15 acres rough mowing, 5 acres finish. I will initially get a FEL and bush hog. Eventually, I will get a post hole digger (lots of fencing to do) and a backhoe. I have narrowed it down to three tractors (all with HST) all within $1000 of each other. Kubota L3130HST, Deere 4310HST, and New Holland TC35. Any comments?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Novice needs input #2  
They're all good choices. Which one of them do you LIKE best? And which dealer do you LIKE best?

/ Novice needs input #3  
Mike,

Welcome to TBN. You will find a lot of good information here. I guess I would have to go along with Bird. The three tractors are all good ones. Through the color out of your decision and then pick the dealer that you feel the most comfortable with. If you feel more comfortable on one of them in particular then go there. You won't make a bad decision with them three.

murph

/ Novice needs input
Thank you for your reply. I think the TC35 is the best from the standpoint of price for horsepower but I've heard and read so much about Kubota performance and John Deere service that I hesitate to pull the trigger. That's why I'm seeking advise.

/ Novice needs input #5  
Mike,

If you are worried about the New Holland then I wouldn't go with it. My feeling is that they all have their little quirks, read the post under each of the tractors and you will find that. Make your decision then on the dealer you like the best. He is the one that is going to service it for you. He is the one that will fight at the factory for you for warranty issues. I don't care how good a tractor is, it is no good if you can't get it fixed.

murph

/ Novice needs input #6  
Mike, it is a fact that I would go with the Kubota, but that's MY personal preference based on the "feel" of the tractor and my experience with the dealers; yours may be entirely different. I've had two Kubotas and I've used my cousin's New Holland. I like his New Holland, has a few features I preferred over my Kubotas, but overall, I liked my Kubotas better. Kind of like whether you want a Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge pickup; all good and we all have our preferences and sometimes those preferences are based on subjective criteria as much or more so than objective criteria.

/ Novice needs input #7  
As the others have said pick the one you feel most comfortable with. All are excellent tractors. Sometimes it boils down to what you like the best even if it is only which one looks the best to you, after all many autos are purchased for that reason and that alone.
We all have our preferences and loyalities but it is your money and your backside that needs to be comfortable with your purchase.
Have fun and keep us posted on your decision. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Novice needs input #8  
have u taken them all out for a test? u must go with the one u feel comfortable with, they are all good machines and if u are looking for a guareentee that u won't have a problem with whichever color u buy, can't give that to u /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif usually u just buy the one u like best and most folks don't have a problem with them.i personally like the kubota.

/ Novice needs input #9  
You gotten great advice here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm only going to reiterate a couple things to emphasize them.

Make sure you get to try each of the tractors you're considering. You might be surprised that one just 'fits' better or feels better to you.

Use the FEL to move some dirt from one pile to another. See how comfortable that operation is for you. I think when you've done all of this you'll like something more about each of them than the others. Then you just have to prioritze and decide which way to go.

The other point I want to emphasize is your comfort level with the dealer from whom you are making your purchase. If you aren't comfortable with the dealer now it's not likely to get better.

Good luck with your search. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Novice needs input #10  
i was in the same boat and ended up with the kubota due to the kubota hst.if i went a gear tractor i probably would have gone deer 4600/4610[power reverser] .if you get a tc35 you should go tc40.kubotas new tractor is great less not being able to enter from the right hand side and the fuel fill location.i like the big n.h's[they are huge].the deer 4cyl run as smooth as my wifes car.if it were me to do over again i would look at the tc40d or kubota l3830/723fel.jmho.bws