HST vs. Shuttle Shift?

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
I'm fully briefed on the differences b/w HST and gear transmissions....how does a shuttle shift compare/differ b/w those two?

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #2  
I'm fully briefed on the differences b/w HST and gear transmissions....how does a shuttle shift compare/differ b/w those two?

I wonder?

The only way you get a shuttle shift is with a gear drive! Then you have the option depending on the make of tractor as to if it might be a syncro shuttle or a hydraulic shuttle.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #3  
Do newer power shift tractors offer shuttle shift also? Just curious since this is what is used on full size TLB's. Still indirectly a gear drive but no manual clutch to operate.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #4  
Over simplistic, but essentially you have the same number of gears going back as forward, the shuttle shift simply determines whether you go forward or backward. Some SS are non synchro so you have to come to a full stop to change directions, others are synchro, so you can change at low speed without coming to a full stop. Then there is the hydraulic shuttle shift where the clutch is activated by moving the SS lever and you don't need to come to a full stop.

We have owned all three. I am sure someone else can go into more detail.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #5  
Over simplistic, but essentially you have the same number of gears going back as forward, the shuttle shift simply determines whether you go forward or backward. Some SS are non synchro so you have to come to a full stop to change directions, others are synchro, so you can change at low speed without coming to a full stop. Then there is the hydraulic shuttle shift where the clutch is activated by moving the SS lever and you don't need to come to a full stop.

We have owned all three. I am sure someone else can go into more detail.

Aren't these also known as Reverser transmissions?

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #6  
Aren't these also known as Reverser transmissions?

Yeah, I "think" that is what John Deere calls them, but I don't know much about John Deere nomenclature.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #7  
I have both. The HST is more responsive, The gear drive with hydraulic shuttle seems to have more grunt but with a lag between FWD & REV. The gear drive is more RPM driven, as in no neutral petal position. There are benefits to both. I'd boil it down to responsiveness (HST) VS. grunt (hyd shuttle). Just my opinion with a fair amount of seat time with both types and a history of pushing my tractors to all they can be.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #8  
Deere's version is the PwrReverser. You can use it pretty much like a standard gear setup with clutching or you can go clutchless and just flick the lever. I had a hydro and now have the reverser. They both have their advantages. A hydraulic reverser is the cats meow for a gear drive. I needed power to the ground more than I needed surgical strike capabilities so that is why I have and like my reverser.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift?
OK, thanks. So would a shuttle shift be sort of in between a gear xsmn and a HST, as far as things like heavy loader use goes?

My future tractor will do more loader/bushogging work than mowing (75-80% of my land is wooded), so Im looking carefully at which xsmn would be best.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #10  
For loader work it is kind of in between. I set my hand throttle for 1500 rpms and then throttle up and down with the foot throttle when I do loader work. Direction changes can then be done solely with the reverser lever. It works real slick but hst is king for loader work.

For what you described I would recommend hst. My old jd 4200 hst was great with the brush hog and loader work. Test drive both and see what you think.