1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?
Good, way these other people have been talking bout it was like the Fords were bought out of the dollar store!:laughing: Have you by chance plowed any snow with one?:confused: Currently plowing with my John Deere compacts back blade and wondering how just the front end loader would plow the snow.

Thanks! And I will be sure to check the pins and gears when I check it out next week.:tractor::tractor::tractor:

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #12  
Good, way these other people have been talking bout it was like the Fords were bought out of the dollar store!:laughing: Have you by chance plowed any snow with one?:confused: Currently plowing with my John Deere compacts back blade and wondering how just the front end loader would plow the snow.

Thanks! And I will be sure to check the pins and gears when I check it out next week.:tractor::tractor::tractor:

no snow in south louisiana but plenty of clay and sand and they do fine with that. they have real good power. like i said that is why most construction company's city's and parishes and 90% of farmers around here run the i would be willing to say within a 75 mile radius of where i am at there is between 200 and 250 555c and d they are every where there is 5 of them to every 1 of the others

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #13  
i didn't see the link to the pics till just now that is a clean unit i have seen some in alot worse shape bring lots more i know they are steadly going back up in price where im at because they are lots cheaper to own than the new backhoes

Ok, sounds great! Can't wait to go take a look at it this week! Its out on rental right now to a farmer so when it gets in I'm going up to check it out! Hopefully it works as good as it looks!:D:tractor::D

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #15  
I am a Ford fan and think the 555 is on par with any other machine of its vintage. But hearing about your budget restrictions causes me to ask why you would want to get out of a new tractor with 138 hours and into an old hoe with maybe 13800???? hours on it?

Your current setup would be very trailer friendly and able to make a large dent in your 12.5 acres without the backhoe. It is a long way from needing repairs or any investment in parts and labor. There are backhoes for rent or hire anywhere in Michigan for the times when you may need them.

Its not that I think you are making a mistake. It may be a good move if you are planning on long term uses like excavating your own foundations and doing your own underground utilities. I'm just thinking practically.

i didn't see the link to the pics till just now that is a clean unit i have seen some in alot worse shape bring lots more i know they are steadly going back up in price where im at because they are lots cheaper to own than the new backhoes

Machine looks pretty good - just those darn tires are so warn... you know how much longer they might have?

I am a Ford fan and think the 555 is on par with any other machine of its vintage. But hearing about your budget restrictions causes me to ask why you would want to get out of a new tractor with 138 hours and into an old hoe with maybe 13800???? hours on it?

Your current setup would be very trailer friendly and able to make a large dent in your 12.5 acres without the backhoe. It is a long way from needing repairs or any investmenbt in parts and labor. There are backhoes for rent or hire anywhere in Michigan for the times when you may need them.

Its not that I think you are making a mistake. It may be a good move if you are planning on long term uses like excavating your own foundations and doing your own underground utilities. I'm just thinking practically.

I thought about that but I'm a child at heart. I'm driving down the freeway swerving all over the darn road watching all the guys on their equipment thinking why the F did I never do that!:mad: I got the 3120, and its a great little tractor but its just not what I was looking for. What I've used it most for is plowing the driveway and the thing is so light it slips and slides all over the driveway. Went down a hill in my driveway thing slid right around backwards and I was going back up the hill. Also my neighbor has a smaller New Holland (smaller frame but same size motor) and his tractor goes through the snow better because of the weight distribution. I also just want something to toy around with - I love projects - my tractors to perfect and its just boring. I know in terms of black and white my tractor definitely looks a lot better but its just not what I want. I want total destruction - my neighbor is jealous of my bigger tractor right now and I just can't wait for him to see me pull up in this thing. I can't argue that my tractor would do most of my work but I have to fulfill my inner child.

... By the way... there's no way that you would want to buy a 3120 is there?:laughing:

Last edited:
   / 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #18  
No, I'm good on tractors right now. I bought a smaller 35hp tractor last Novemeber because my larger Deere was too big to function well in some of the tighter areas I was trying to work in. Size can hurt you in some cases.

Backhoes are good at destroying things, but expensive to fix. During my last rental, I was trying to fill out the 40 hrs I was allowed on the clock and digging some fill out of the banks of my pond. The water was low and I was scooping sand on the uphill runs in 4wd with the throttle matted. On my last run I discover there were cow bones buried in my pond banks.

After bouncing up the bank I could hear a very loud hissing over the usual turbo noise. One of the leg bones had pierced a rear tire. It was flat before I could make it to the driveway.

Fortunately it was a rental and the tire damage was covered, so i have no idea what a new tire would cost. What I do know is that a buried cow bone can ruin a backhoe tire.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #19  
no snow in south louisiana but plenty of clay and sand and they do fine with that. they have real good power. like i said that is why most construction company's city's and parishes and 90% of farmers around here run the i would be willing to say within a 75 mile radius of where i am at there is between 200 and 250 555c and d they are every where there is 5 of them to every 1 of the others

This is an interesting answer about the population of backhoes in your locale.
Just look at the page from Machinery Trader for sale listings,

Caterpillar 1354 machines listed
Deere 1143 " "
Case 1010 " "
New Holland 224 " "
Ford 134 " "

Loader Backhoe, Used Loader Backhoe, Loader Backhoe For Sale At MachineryTrader.com - Manufacturers

from Machinerytrader index seems the opposite is true, with Cat backhoes having 10 times the volume of listings.

Where I live now we often have to dig through granite and other difficult rock materials, in Louisiana most of what you dig through is silt and clay. I grew up in south La.

Fortunately it was a rental and the tire damage was covered, so i have no idea what a new tire would cost. What I do know is that a buried cow bone can ruin a backhoe tire.

Great advice! Next time out digging I'll be sure to call 811 to make sure there is no cow bones!:laughing:haha:laughing: