1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #1  

Martian

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere
Hi, I am new here, though always l've always loved heavy equipment all I currently have is a John Deere 3120. It's a great machine, although it is only 30HP it has plenty of power. Just recently though I purchased 12.5 acres of heavily wooded acres on a lake up north and will need something a lot bigger to clear out a path (I have a cabin right down the street that is on a smaller lot and I tried to drive my ATV through the woods and I couldn't find a clearing past about 50' into the woods). So I've been looking at getting a bigger, older backhoe. First of all my tractor is a 2006 or 2007, not exactly sure but I bought it as a dealer demo and had 30 hours on it when I bought it. Honestly, I just bought it so I could have a tractor and haven't had much use for it, I've only got 138 hours on it right now. It has a 300X front end loader and a Frontier back blade. I have used it very lightly, washing after nearly every use and has always been garage kept. I've looked around at tractors similar and are being listed at prices up to $19,000 but all with more hours and, at least in my biassed opinion, mine looks the best. With that said I NEED to get top dollar for that tractor, whether it is a trade in or it is me selling it on my own, I cannot afford anything over what I can get for my tractor. Now, with all of that said, I want a nice backhoe, I don't want a piece of junk, and I really don't want to fix it up, my target is early 90's in fairly decent shape. Definitely want a cab, not just for the cab but just too know that some company didn't leave that instrument panel outside in the rain for the last 20 years. Also I need 4 wheel drive as what most of the time what I use my current tractor for is plowing the driveway here in Michigan. I would love an extendahoe for the reach and a 4 in 1 bucket to make it a little easier to pick up fallen trees and stuff. The tractor that I was looking at most recently is a 1990 Ford 555C with an extendahoe, 2 stick controls(can't stand the 4), 4 in 1 bucket, and a cab but the problem is its listed at $19,900 (1990 FORD 555C Loader Backhoe For Sale At MachineryTrader.com). It's a great looking tractor but don't know if I would like to spend any money on top of the trade. Any advice, anyone love or hate their 555C? Also looked up on multiple websites the list prices of Ford 555C's and it is the most expensive (and the closest to my house). Looked at other backhoes too, like the older Cases but they tend to have the 4 stick controls, love the Cat's and Deere's but they tend to be more expensive. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #2  
I think for a budget of $20K I would reconsider the Case backhoe. I would much prefer a Case 580 with extendahoe to a 555C. While I have a Deere 110tlb I have many hours operating a 580K and it didn't take very long to be proficient with the multiple sticks. That said the Case is a lot better backhoe and better built than the Ford.

You could do alot of what you need with your tractor and a good chain saw too.

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy?
Don't tell me that, there's no fun without a backhoe!

I do love those Cases and Cats but for a similar backhoe they cost a lot more. The only Cat I found in my area (Michigan) that had both a 4 in 1 bucket and an extend a hoe like the Ford was a 1994 Cat 416B that was $27,000.

I don't know, Ford looks to be in pretty good condition - have you ever had experience on a Ford?

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #6  
Just cuz it's close doesn't mean it's nice. That's a sorry looking piece in my opinion. What is it that picture of the hour meter says? Can't read it and they didn't put it in the ad.
A lot of steam cleaning got that thing looking as good as it does, but it's got plenty of nicks and dents.
Keep looking and look at Case. You'll figure out the controls. Tires are expensive and a ***** to change.
Joe H

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #7  
in my opionion i believe the ford 555c and 555d backhoes are some of the best ever built i have run alot of different brands case jd and cat but like the fords the best

Yes but I've looked at every backhoe on Machinery Trader up to $25,000 and for the price it makes my list. Similar tractors - say a Case or a Cat or a Deere for the same year and features - though I have yet to find one with a 4 in 1 bucket in my price range - would cost me closer to $25,000. I contacted the dealer and from what it sounds he will give me a good price on my trade in (Hoping $19,900!!:D). Still looking around seeing if something new pops up but with what's out there (even been looking at all the regional Craigslists and even private sellers don't have as good of a deal) too try and find something better.

And is a Case, Cat or Deere really that much better of a machine to shell out an extra $5,000 for a :tractor:?

in my opionion i believe the ford 555c and 555d backhoes are some of the best ever built i have run alot of different brands case jd and cat but like the fords the best

Did you happen to ever use one like I'm looking at, 4 in 1 bucket, extend a hoe, cab, whatever. Any negatives positives of any of them? Ease of operation? Hows the cab? How tight is it? How well does the backhoe and extend a hoe work?

Anything at all that I should know??

Thanks for your two cents :2cents:!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!

/ 1990 Ford 555C Backhoe - Should I buy? #10  
Did you happen to ever use one like I'm looking at, 4 in 1 bucket, extend a hoe, cab, whatever. Any negatives positives of any of them? Ease of operation? Hows the cab? How tight is it? How well does the backhoe and extend a hoe work?

Anything at all that I should know??

Thanks for your two cents :2cents:!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!

yes i have used many 555c and d backhoes and love them they are simple machines to operated and maintain since many parts of the drive train is the same that is in a 4 cyl ford tractor the cab has more room than a case i have used a case 580 super k and didn't like how the controls for the backhoe and have run a cat and my lawer owns a cat backhoe that i worked on and you would have thought you was working on a deere in how high the parts was. that is way every small construction company where i am at runs newholland backhoes and nothing else all in the 555c and 555d and a fewer 555e's but mostly the c and d models a large tractor auction i go to in okla. runs 8 555c's and d's nothing else that should say something . but as far as checking one out just check all pins and bushings in the loader and backhoe, check the kingpins in the front end and all the gears in the trans for slipping and all should be good