How much repair do the old timers require?

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #31  
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I've been looking at newer tractors, but I've broadened my search to older machines too. I found a Deere 1030 locally but it is more tractor than I need, big machine and I bet thirsty! Now I'm considering a MF 135 diesel that has been overhauled and has new clutch for 3700$. It also has a 6'disc that comes with it too. Eventually I'll want a tractor with a loader but this could be my dedicated mowing rig with a 6' shredder. A lot smaller investment than a new machine too...

/ How much repair do the old timers require?
Like FWJ says, older does not mean more work needed and more often than not, older tractors will require a lot less work to keep going. The reason is: before computer-aided design and such, machines tended to be way overbuilt and as a result, they last a lot longer than the new stuff. Also, the lemons of that era have mostly found thier way to the scrapyard by now. New tractors are basically designed to last until the warranty runs out, then every part should fail simultaneously, if the designer did his job right. Just enough material is used to carry the loads, with no extra allowance for wear and corrosion. For the last 25 years, I have ran a 1951 Ford 8n that needed a valve job when I got it (they were not designed for unleaded gas), but I have not touched it in the last 24 years, other than oil changes. All of the tractors I have bought since that one, including one that is reatively modern, have required more work in that time period. The downside of the old ones is they dont have all the modern conveniences, and tend to use significantly more fuel, especially if gas powered. Also, it is tough to do loader work without 4wd, which is tough to find on old tractors. I would be a lot more scared of buying a new tractor than an old one.

PTO power specs on the 8n are in the 24hp range. In your opinion would I need something more powerful to mow 60 acres?

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #33  
PTO power specs on the 8n are in the 24hp range. In your opinion would I need something more powerful to mow 60 acres?

You COULD mow 60 acres with an N Ford, but you better have PLENTY of spare time on your hands. Gonna be a long and slow process. I'm a big fan of older tractors, and I don't mind spending a bit of time with a smaller tractor to get the job done, but there's a limit to how far I'll go with that plan.

I'd want (at a minimum) 45/50hp, maybe even 60hp....Something that would handle a 6' to 8' mower (again, at a minimum) and be able to mow at a brisk pace on the level ground. Or else....your summers will be spent mowing....and mowing....and mowing....

My home is on 45 acres. Some of that is woods and a creek bed. I probably mow somewhere around 23/24 acres. Some hill sides, a good bit of fence line, some rough ground, and a bit of open fields. I do that with a 47hp tractor/6' mower. I spend about 11 to 12 hours total each time I mow. And that's enough....considering I mow it every 10 to 12 days during the summer. (A couple acres around the house gets mowed every 4 or 5 days) And I do have the "back up plan" of having seven 15' bat wing mowing rigs if I get way behind...!!! (I'm in the commercial mowing business)

Go too small and it's easy to get behind. Then you start rushing to get caught up. THat leads to accidents and damaged equipment. Use equipment that's big enough to handle the job at a leisurely pace, take your time and be safe.

Don't go too small. SLIGHTLY too big is FAR better than too small....BTDT, left the little tractor parked....

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #34  
Interesting that tricyles fronts were brought up, I wouldn't mind having a good one for some uses, they turn on a dime.:thumbsup:

I love my trikes! love to mow with them.. and yes.. they turn on a dime and can usually give you change..

soundguy

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #35  

27 actually.. but mega ditto what FWJ said.

forget the N for 60ac of mowing. go 45hp minimum and 6' mower minimum.

I wouldn't want to mow on a continous basis with any ford under an 8/9 XX though a 3000+ would be ok.

for light 10-15 ac or less a 35 hp ford int he 00/01 series and a 5 or 6' mower would be ok..

I'm a ford guy and I'll tell you straight up.

don't buy a 9-2-8n for your mowing.

don't buy a NAA for your mowing.

I would not reccomend a 541,6xx,7xx or 2000 3 or 4 cyl for your mowing.. though you could pull a 6' mower with them.

Minimum i would reccomend would the a 8/9xx, 4000 3 or 4 cyl. if going 1965+ get a diesel.. if 1964 and down, get a gasser...

soundguy

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #36  
For the last 25 years, I have ran a 1951 Ford 8n that needed a valve job when I got it (they were not designed for unleaded gas),

Just a note.. your machine may have needed a valve job.. but as for the valve seats / unleaded gas.. all 9n/8n left the factory with hardened intake and exhaust valve seats.

all 2n left the factory with hardened exhaust valve seats, wartime 2n did not have hardened intake seats.

soundguy

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #37  
The 1951 Ford 8n is my favorite tractor of all time, but I also would not recommend one for mowing 60 acres. The 8n really excells on drawbar work, particularly tasks like plowing. The biggest problem with mowing is the lack of live hydraulics. The lack of live PTO is no problem at all as long as you run a over-running coupler. For PTO work, I would tend to steer clear of the older Fords, and look instead at IH or Allis Chalmers. Most surviving models from the late 40's thru 60's by either of these brands are almost bulletproof. Personally, I dont think the JD's of that era are worth the extra money they fetch. Like SG, I also like my trike (1942 Allis Chalmers C). There is nothing like a trike in the woods, with the narrow front providing great forward visibility, minimal compaction, and the steering brakes enabling excellent manuverability. I just finished up hauling the logs for 2012/2013 winter firewood up from the woods with mine this past Sunday. No way would I have rather done that job with a modern 4wd, or any wide-front tractor for that matter. I didnt hardly leave a mark in my fragile woodlands with that light-footed, trike, AC C. I probably would not be as fond of the trikes as I am if there were any hills on my farm however, luckily there is not. I dont run any foreign power, which limits me to JD on new tractors these days. One has a lot more choices in American power on old iron however.

/ How much repair do the old timers require?
Thanks all.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #39  
Please note I was talking about trikes on slopes, Still think wide on hills/slopes better ymmv I keep the bx23 in 4 wheel drive on slopes. As some people point out right tool for job everything is NOT a nail

PR

Last edited:
   / How much repair do the old timers require? #40  
I am just thankfull to have owned and operated a trike while I still could. The millions of practicing laywers in this country now will ensure that such machines are not going to be made again for the forseable future. They are also great for cultivating, having the ability of turning right back for the next rows without a wide swing around the headland. Also for mowing with a mid-mount, essentially a zero turn at least a half-century before those little go-cart types came into popularity.