How much repair do the old timers require?

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Hi all,

My wife and I bought the farm four years ago. :D It's
80 acres ... about three fourths pasture land and one fourth woodland. The pasture is mostly timothy and clover with a generous mix of weeds of all manner and other grasses as well. The woodland is very think/dense and consists mostly of conifer with a mix of birch alder and aspen. The terrain is mostly flat with the back border/boundary steeply sloping off to a stream. We'll very likely retire there in about 10 years.

A neighbor has been cutting the fields and harvesting the hay for his beef operation but there're areas he doesn't get to and I can't say with any certainty how long this arrangement will last. I've been doing some of the cutting around the house and pond for instance with a walk behind machine which is great for the exercise but takes way too much time. I'm considering getting a used tractor and bush hog. I've been lurking the forum and have some idea the size machine I should be considering and there seems to be many used tractors available for sale.

My question is about the age of the machine. As I mentioned there are many out there for sale and affordable but they are in many cases older than me. :D So I have to wonder how often a fifty plus year old piece of farm equipment will break down?

TIA ..for your insights.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #2  
Hi all,

My wife and I bought the farm four years ago. :D It's
80 acres ... about three fourths pasture land and one fourth woodland. The pasture is mostly timothy and clover with a generous mix of weeds of all manner and other grasses as well. The woodland is very think/dense and consists mostly of conifer with a mix of birch alder and aspen. The terrain is mostly flat with the back border/boundary steeply sloping off to a stream. We'll very likely retire there in about 10 years.

A neighbor has been cutting the fields and harvesting the hay for his beef operation but there're areas he doesn't get to and I can't say with any certainty how long this arrangement will last. I've been doing some of the cutting around the house and pond for instance with a walk behind machine which is great for the exercise but takes way too much time. I'm considering getting a used tractor and bush hog. I've been lurking the forum and have some idea the size machine I should be considering and there seems to be many used tractors available for sale.

My question is about the age of the machine. As I mentioned there are many out there for sale and affordable but they are in many cases older than me. :D So I have to wonder how often a fifty plus year old piece of farm equipment will break down?

TIA ..for your insights.

I've got a total of 17 tractors. Most are used in my business, some stay on the farm. My "go to" tractors on the farm are 40+ years old and 30 years old. The 40 year old (MF150) has had LESS time spent making repairs IN IT'S ENTIRE LIFETIME than some of my newest tractors (3 years old or less) Older USUALLY = simple....Simple USUALLY = stone reliable. The trick is to get the RIGHT model and get one in good condition.

The MF150 sees around 140/150 hours per year now days, so it isn't sitting around idle....It works for a living. Other than oil changes, a couple flat tires, and a loose fender bolt last week, it hasn't had a wrench touched to it in 6 years. (painted it 6 years ago...) Oh wait....I did change a fan belt 4 years ago....It was an original 1971 belt.

I keep one "new tractor" here at the farm too...It's 3 years old. I've spent right around 4 times on the newer one as what the original purchase price was on the MF150 just on major repairs.

Based on actual results;

With older tractors, get them in top mechanical condition and sell your tools....You won't need 'em any longer.

With newer tractors, sell your tools so you can afford to pay the "technician" at the dealer...

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #3  
The family down the road from me still uses their late 40's Farmall H nearly every day-pulling wagons, raking, manure spreader etc. Their grandfather bought it brand new.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #4  
In most cases a good older tractor will last a long time and require very little in repairs. I have had several older tractors and for the most part have found them to be lower in cost to operate and maintain than auto's for example.

Picking the right used tractor is key imo.

/ How much repair do the old timers require?
Thanks for the tips gents. It stands to reason that if so many are still kicking they must have made them well back then.

A local old timer has been helping me with projects around the place ..septic, drainage, well trench to the house.. etc. I'm going to ask him for some help with this.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #6  
Like FWJ says, older does not mean more work needed and more often than not, older tractors will require a lot less work to keep going. The reason is: before computer-aided design and such, machines tended to be way overbuilt and as a result, they last a lot longer than the new stuff. Also, the lemons of that era have mostly found thier way to the scrapyard by now. New tractors are basically designed to last until the warranty runs out, then every part should fail simultaneously, if the designer did his job right. Just enough material is used to carry the loads, with no extra allowance for wear and corrosion. For the last 25 years, I have ran a 1951 Ford 8n that needed a valve job when I got it (they were not designed for unleaded gas), but I have not touched it in the last 24 years, other than oil changes. All of the tractors I have bought since that one, including one that is reatively modern, have required more work in that time period. The downside of the old ones is they dont have all the modern conveniences, and tend to use significantly more fuel, especially if gas powered. Also, it is tough to do loader work without 4wd, which is tough to find on old tractors. I would be a lot more scared of buying a new tractor than an old one.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #7  
The hours on the machine may be a more reliable gauge than the age in years. :thumbsup:

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #8  
I have to agree about the old FORD's. After 60 years they have just about proven themselves. Parts are available and they are reasonably simple to work on. Buy one cheap that someone has already gone thru and rebuilt.

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #9  
Thanks for the tips gents. It stands to reason that if so many are still kicking they must have made them well back then.

A local old timer has been helping me with projects around the place ..septic, drainage, well trench to the house.. etc. I'm going to ask him for some help with this.

My 1964 MF135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto, 2WD, power-assist steering) is running OK, but there's an oil leak (probably the oil pan) and a seal on the pto shaft is dripping oil. Bought it in Jul06 for $3600. It's a field tractor that has been lowered for use in olive orchards around here. Spent a few bucks to rewire it and repaint. It's a good tractor for mowing, discing, plowing, etc.

DSCF0008-small.JPGDSCF0011-small.JPGDSCF0024 (Small).JPG

DSCF0016 (Small).JPGDSCF0017 (Small).JPG

You can find 135s on eBay and craigslist quite often.

Good luck

/ How much repair do the old timers require? #10  
Depending on how old you go also gets into what do you need the tractor to do.

Although you may not have a big list independent PTO sure is nice as well as power steering!

A rear remote might also be needed as well as three point hitch!

For some time is critical, so a break down from the age and the time that it might take to get it fixed might also be of consideration. It is one thing if there are more then one tractor that can do the work!