Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Default Re: Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they?

Quote Originally Posted by MartianTractorMan View Post
    Yes, but I think the levers might fry my brain

Does anyone know how much time and money it would take if I decided I wanted to mess around and switch the controls to two stick. Not necessary but if I was looking for a project.

More than it is worth, why not rent a 4 stick Case for a weekend and give it a day or two to see if you can deal with it? That would be alot cheaper than buying something you are unhappy with.

It has been maybe five years since I ran a Case 4 stick but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one if I needed to. As someone else mentioned might take a little time to make the brain adjustments.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Anyone happen to know how many horsepower the 590 Turbo is, I've seen different ratings out there and wondering if any of you knew.

Thanks
    Go to the Casece.com website and look around.

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

. . . to look at a Case. . .

The only problem is my brain is wired to the two stick controls. Tried the 4 stick once and it was like a 5 year old was running the hoe. . .
    I'm a bit confused here, but I had a 1984 580 Super E, and it was a 3 stick with foot pedals for the swing. I've never seen a 4 stick Case. The old Fords were 4 stick, but I don't believe the Case was. (at least not a mid-'90's model)
    I think that Taylortractornut is correct. The "fourth" stick is for the extendahoe, IIRC.

As far as the 3 stick w/foot swing Case set-up, I can operate one as well as the 2 stick controls. (if not a little better) But, then again, I have a lot of hours on them.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Platinum Member

I'm in the same camp as Bigfoot. I've run most systems and once comfortable with the controls productivity is about the same.
    The Opti-Mist

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Case can be ordered with 4 stick controls without a foot swing I have a friend thats grew up on the old Ford Sherman controls. He ordered his new with a 4 stick sherman I cant hit the ground with it well I can hit the ground thats about it.

The foot swing pretty nice. because the when you push one down the other rises a bit and it balances you and its less tiring on the hands. My old Ford has L shaped handles and Take alot of hand spans to work it. Case levers are closer and the foot swing eases a set of fingers lol. The older foot swings are more comfortable to run to me than the same age of 2 stick cases with the tapered levers.

If you get a Case theres a trick to locking the boom up in transport position. A few folks here run them and dont lock the hoe up. Just fold the stick and bucket up and center the boom on the swing pivots then raise the boom with the lever pulled straight back. When the boom tops out quickly push the boom lever to the down postion and the boom will go up into the lock position.

Tractor
    massey ferguson 255

I have played on the 4 stick case and IMHO once you have the extendahoe you will find it is more productive than without as you move less often. the 4 stick 2 pedel case is not hard to learn. the hard part is to park the boom as you have to reverse the stick is it reaches the top. try going from a 2 stick backhoe to a 2 stick 4 pedel excavator than a 4 stick 2 pedel back hoe
    1977 massey 255 w cab 7 ft bush hog 6 ft box blade bush hog 330 FEL small back hoe

Is the 4th stick for the extend-a-hoe or is it for the swing? I have the 3 lever with the foot pedals for the swing but no extend-a-hoe. I like the 3 lever but I have learned how to use my wrist to push on one lever while pulling on the other two so I can uncurl the bucket to get a nice smooth trench. Until I got use to it I would be worthless on a 2 stick machine.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    massey ferguson 255

the ones I have seen the 4th stick is for the extend. I use small finger and palm , index finger and palm/thumb on the other.
    1977 massey 255 w cab 7 ft bush hog 6 ft box blade bush hog 330 FEL small back hoe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12