Comparison Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they?

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #1  

Martian

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere
So I've been looking at a Ford 555C, sales person hasn't been the greatest though, so I've been looking on Craigslist. And along with what the people have been telling me here on TBN to look at a Case. So I've found some good looking tractors:

Backhoe 590 Turbo 4x4 Extendahoe

1996 Nice case 580 super K

The only problem is my brain is wired to the two stick controls. Tried the 4 stick once and it was like a 5 year old was running the hoe. I was just wondering how difficult it is to change and how difficult it is to switch. Once you get used to them anyone prefer one or the other.

Thanks for the help guys:D!:D

:tractor::tractor::tractor::tractor:

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #2  
I've run both 2 stick and 4 stick units quite a bit and you can get used to running both. I'm just about as proficient with the old 4 stick as I am the 2 stick. What is a little tough is getting off one machine right onto another that have different controls. I've had times like that and even when you are experienced with both it takes a few minutes for your brain to reprogram to which machine you are on.

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they?
I've run both 2 stick and 4 stick units quite a bit and you can get used to running both. I'm just about as proficient with the old 4 stick as I am the 2 stick. What is a little tough is getting off one machine right onto another that have different controls. I've had times like that and even when you are experienced with both it takes a few minutes for your brain to reprogram to which machine you are on.

Do you see yourself as more productive in either or is it indifferent? :confused:

THANKS!:D

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #4  
When you think about all those used Case backhoes out there somebody had to be productive with them. Like I said last weekend get in the seat and run it, doesn't take long to learn. All the backhoes and excavators I have run up to a Cat 330 excavator are easy to learn. If you want a challenge learn to run a motor grader like an expert, you can spend most of your life doing that.

I see. Think I'll call the guy tomorrow and try to find out when I can set up a time to try it out.

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #6  
Case is backwards from the others...............you will get used to it, just takes time.

Just make sure all functions work, that's the main concern.

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #7  
Case is set up from left to right bucket, stick, boom and swing. Unless its and extenda hoe the swing wil lbe on the feet and the 4th lever will be extend and retract.
I hate the Ford/Sherman pattern with a passion. I grew up on 2 sticks on Cat and Deere and a few Case. When I was 16 dad bought an old 3550 Ford with a 4 tick but it was set up like a Case with a 4 stick. Took about a a day to get into it with the hand swing. A few years later I had a job and a man had an old 4500 tlb set up on the SHerman pattern. I bought the hoe from him and was gonna dig a footer and sewer line with it. I had to go home and get mine. I can usually go frome 2 or 3 cranes with different set ups no problem, but this gets me even go from excavator to tlb controls no problem but something about a sherman lol.

Case actually excelled in the multi stick control for many companies over their cae 2 stick controls.. I worked for a company that ran mostly new Case TLBs. Down here mostly folks down here run 2 stick tlbs. My I started as a laborer and saw an old boy that was good on a 2 stick about to beat his brains out. He called the office and stated he only could run Cat or Deere controlls. They sent us a 410 deere and to his suprise THe new Deere came 3 sticked. I Quickly became the backhoe man on the job plus I knew how to stow the boom.. I think youll like the Case they are simple and tough.

/ Case 4 Stick Backhoe Controls - How are they? #8  
I am the opposite of most here. I learned on 4 stick Case with extendahoe and 2 stick machines make me look bad! It has been 15 years or so since I sold my 88 Case 580K but I know I could get on a Case 4 stick and dig a hole today.

I rented a Ford 655A while I owned the Case. IMO, the Case was a better built machine. They both did the job but stupid things broke on the Ford (door locks, handles).

The only thing I miss about my business, is my Mack, 12T tiltdeck trailer and 580K.

Case is backwards from the others...............you will get used to it, just takes time.

Just make sure all functions work, that's the main concern.

Yes, but I think the levers might fry my brain:D

Case is set up from left to right bucket, stick, boom and swing. Unless its and extenda hoe the swing wil lbe on the feet and the 4th lever will be extend and retract.
I hate the Ford/Sherman pattern with a passion. I grew up on 2 sticks on Cat and Deere and a few Case. When I was 16 dad bought an old 3550 Ford with a 4 tick but it was set up like a Case with a 4 stick. Took about a a day to get into it with the hand swing. A few years later I had a job and a man had an old 4500 tlb set up on the SHerman pattern. I bought the hoe from him and was gonna dig a footer and sewer line with it. I had to go home and get mine. I can usually go frome 2 or 3 cranes with different set ups no problem, but this gets me even go from excavator to tlb controls no problem but something about a sherman lol.

Case actually excelled in the multi stick control for many companies over their cae 2 stick controls.. I worked for a company that ran mostly new Case TLBs. Down here mostly folks down here run 2 stick tlbs. My I started as a laborer and saw an old boy that was good on a 2 stick about to beat his brains out. He called the office and stated he only could run Cat or Deere controlls. They sent us a 410 deere and to his suprise THe new Deere came 3 sticked. I Quickly became the backhoe man on the job plus I knew how to stow the boom.. I think youll like the Case they are simple and tough.

Does have the Extend a Hoe, It just seems like a really old style to work. They definitely did it right because even today they still order them with it, so they've definitely done something right, just more the time to learn it.

I am the opposite of most here. I learned on 4 stick Case with extendahoe and 2 stick machines make me look bad! It has been 15 years or so since I sold my 88 Case 580K but I know I could get on a Case 4 stick and dig a hole today.

I rented a Ford 655A while I owned the Case. IMO, the Case was a better built machine. They both did the job but stupid things broke on the Ford (door locks, handles).

The only thing I miss about my business, is my Mack, 12T tiltdeck trailer and 580K.

Do have to agree with that... there has to be some reason that so many more people bought Cases than Fords

Does anyone know how much time and money it would take if I decided I wanted to mess around and switch the controls to two stick. Not necessary but if I was looking for a project.

Anyone happen to know how many horsepower the 590 Turbo is, I've seen different ratings out there and wondering if any of you knew.

Thanks