New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #11  
If you want a plastic chinese tractor then by all means buy the Deere. I own a 4710 and it is sitting out back unoperatable again because of a burnt up fuse box. cost of part 700.00. It has a busted hood where a black walnut fell on it 350.00. replaced hydralic selector valve 1000.00 the 2 side panel's 500.00 return hose for hydralic oil, turn signal switch, Light switch. When I bought this tractor new I purchased a protection kit to protect the tins or I guess you call them the plastics now and as you can see I have replaced them all even the grill. I have owned alot of deeres and they were good tractors as I never replaced any of the above items on any of the other tractors I owned. So good luck if you buy the deere

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a cabbed 2007 JD 4520 eHydro with 120 some hours. It is in absolute mint condition. I was planning on going over this weekend to give the owner a deposit to hold until I can free up the cash to get it picked up.

The JD comes with:

• 400x loader with JD QA bucket and bracket
    Radio
    Various extra mirrors and worklights
    Air suspension seat from what I can tell - it is dang comfortable.
    One rear remote
    iMatch
    R4s

The total price is $35500 with no tax as it is a private deal. New machine price for this around here is about $43-45000 + 13% tax so it i has been down the depreciation curve already which is nice.

When I started pricing out the things I wanted to get done and a little bit of the hassle involved in getting them sourced, they started to add up:

- Two extra outlets at the rear ~$2500 installed with taxes in.
- $750 to 1000 to transport it here as it is 2.5 hrs away.
- Purchase of SSQA adapter and conversion of bucket to SSQA (I have forks and a hay spear that are SSQA) - $800 to $1000
- Loading tires ~$500 for Calcium

Total: $40500

If I compare that to a new Kubota L4240 (10 less HP)
- Cab
- No radio (I don't really think I need it to be honest - I like the quiet time)
- 2 rear remotes - sufficient - one for the top link and another for snowblower chute rotator.
- No delivery charge.
- Already has SSQA
- Loaded R4s
Total: $37604 + 13% = 42492.52. Speeco QH or Pats can be added to take the price up to $42800.

I'll have to dig in to worklights and mirrors but I am sure they can be negotiated in.

A L4740 is close in HP that would be another $2000 I think so $44500.

The JD is a much better deal having been through the depreciation curve already. I could purchase it and sell it 3 years down the road with a couple hundred more hours for not much less. I don't plan on selling either but then I didn't plan on upgrading from my current L3400 either 6 years ago when I bought it.

I think both the JD and even the L4240 will do everything I need - 6ft bush hog, blower - same sized implements really. I don't have an implement wanting for the extra HP.

The JD's cab sticks out as spectacular to me and much more comfortable than the Kubotas. My Kubota dealer does not have a L4240 or L4740 yet for me to drive but a L4740 is on is way.

Both will require me to spend on a hydraulic top link and a toothbar so those are moot.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning towards the JD for the value and the cab. I sure like the idea of not having to source stuff for the tractor, convert the bucket etc. Kubota dealer might even take my current tractor in a trade at a reasonable price making it easier.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520
If you want a plastic chinese tractor then by all means buy the Deere. I own a 4710 and it is sitting out back unoperatable again because of a burnt up fuse box. cost of part 700.00. It has a busted hood where a black walnut fell on it 350.00. replaced hydralic selector valve 1000.00 the 2 side panel's 500.00 return hose for hydralic oil, turn signal switch, Light switch. When I bought this tractor new I purchased a protection kit to protect the tins or I guess you call them the plastics now and as you can see I have replaced them all even the grill. I have owned alot of deeres and they were good tractors as I never replaced any of the above items on any of the other tractors I owned. So good luck if you buy the deere

Wow. You are seriously negative on the Deeres. Not really sure how to take it. I'm sorry you have had the problems you have had. I'd be pretty bummed if I did as well. How many hours does your machine have on it?

To be honest I have not heard anything much negative about the 4x20 series or the 3x20 series. If there have been horror stories about this line of tractors from Deere than I am all ears. I know that I have been plenty happy with my Kubota even though it has had the odd quirk. Overall reliability is fantastic and I don't expect less from a Deere.

Yours was the same response I got from a dealer who I have bought implements from. He now sells Mahindra and could not understand why I would buy a used Deere since it is made in China. I have no idea where these machines are made but the fit and finish seems awesome.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #13  
what about warranty and financing ?

i dunno maybe its just me but in that size tractor its only kubota for me, they are entirely integrated unlike most others who rely on countless subcontractors...now thats worth something

if i were looking at regular ag tractors then i'd definitely look at jd but when it comes to compact its no go.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #14  
John Deere does not make their tractors in China. they do outsource many of their parts however. Assembly is done here in the USA. :thumbsup: John Deere makes a GREAT product, I have seen numerous John Deere 4x20 tractors with over 4000 hours, still in nice shape considering the use they obtain. They hold their value very well, offer one of the best parts networks around, i cant see why you would go wrong on purchasing that 4520. :thumbsup:

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #15  
See... I'm not the only one that prefers Kubota in this hp class. Get a Kubota!!

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520
This is going to be a cash deal. The additional amount above my tractors price is coming from a home equity line of credit with a pretty decent interest rate at this time.

I have found that all the dealers only give you their best price on a cash deal so many of the savings from financing deals soon become moot.

I am not particularly huge on warranty on any of my purchases. One day I might be proven wrong if I got a lemon. I tend to research the reliability of the products I buy and buy only the most reliable ones. So far that has served me well. Warranty alone is not worth 2-4k to me when there is a good probability that nothing will go wrong. Always some risk but for a long term purchase you will be taking that risk on once the warranty expires anyway.

On the way to see the owner of that Deere tomorrow and give him a deposit, I am stopping by what seems like a very good Kubota dealer (my current one has not been able to get a L4240 or L4740 on his lot for me to try yet). I'll have to see how I feel about it once I try it out.

The good thing about the Deere is that if I buy it and resell it a few years down the road, I won't loose much money on it at all - except perhaps what I put in (conversion to SSQA, extra remotes).

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #17  
Any idea why the 4520 is for sale? Not to be suspicious or anything, but is there any reason to be concerned about the tractor itself?

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #18  
Plus I trust Kubota more than I do Deere in this horsepower range. :cool:

Good luck!

How did you come to trust them more? I'm leery of them because they won't fully participate in Nebraska tests.

My money is on the JD producing more torque, and that is the only true measure of the work a machine can do. FWIW, the JD tested (not advertised) at 135 lb-ft.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #19  
No comparison. New always beats used. With new you get the warranty as the original owner.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #20  
This is going to be a cash deal. The additional amount above my tractors price is coming from a home equity line of credit with a pretty decent interest rate at this time.

I have found that all the dealers only give you their best price on a cash deal so many of the savings from financing deals soon become moot.

I am not particularly huge on warranty on any of my purchases. One day I might be proven wrong if I got a lemon. I tend to research the reliability of the products I buy and buy only the most reliable ones. So far that has served me well. Warranty alone is not worth 2-4k to me when there is a good probability that nothing will go wrong. Always some risk but for a long term purchase you will be taking that risk on once the warranty expires anyway.

On the way to see the owner of that Deere tomorrow and give him a deposit, I am stopping by what seems like a very good Kubota dealer (my current one has not been able to get a L4240 or L4740 on his lot for me to try yet). I'll have to see how I feel about it once I try it out.

The good thing about the Deere is that if I buy it and resell it a few years down the road, I won't loose much money on it at all - except perhaps what I put in (conversion to SSQA, extra remotes).

I have purchased many used tractors in my life and almost all of them regardless of brand were good working tractors without problems unseen. Some older ones needed some fix ups, but I was aware of this when I bought them. Since no one here is supplying you with extra money you need to look over the tractors and buy according to your wallet. Good luck with which ever one you get. I have been very satisfied with my 4520 cab so far but there are lots of happy Kubota owners too.