New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a cabbed 2007 JD 4520 eHydro with 120 some hours. It is in absolute mint condition. I was planning on going over this weekend to give the owner a deposit to hold until I can free up the cash to get it picked up.

The JD comes with:

• 400x loader with JD QA bucket and bracket
    Radio
    Various extra mirrors and worklights
    Air suspension seat from what I can tell - it is dang comfortable.
    One rear remote
    iMatch
    R4s

The total price is $35500 with no tax as it is a private deal. New machine price for this around here is about $43-45000 + 13% tax so it i has been down the depreciation curve already which is nice.

When I started pricing out the things I wanted to get done and a little bit of the hassle involved in getting them sourced, they started to add up:

- Two extra outlets at the rear ~$2500 installed with taxes in.
- $750 to 1000 to transport it here as it is 2.5 hrs away.
- Purchase of SSQA adapter and conversion of bucket to SSQA (I have forks and a hay spear that are SSQA) - $800 to $1000
- Loading tires ~$500 for Calcium

Total: $40500

If I compare that to a new Kubota L4240 (10 less HP)
- Cab
- No radio (I don't really think I need it to be honest - I like the quiet time)
- 2 rear remotes - sufficient - one for the top link and another for snowblower chute rotator.
- No delivery charge.
- Already has SSQA
- Loaded R4s
Total: $37604 + 13% = 42492.52. Speeco QH or Pats can be added to take the price up to $42800.

I'll have to dig in to worklights and mirrors but I am sure they can be negotiated in.

A L4740 is close in HP that would be another $2000 I think so $44500.

The JD is a much better deal having been through the depreciation curve already. I could purchase it and sell it 3 years down the road with a couple hundred more hours for not much less. I don't plan on selling either but then I didn't plan on upgrading from my current L3400 either 6 years ago when I bought it.

I think both the JD and even the L4240 will do everything I need - 6ft bush hog, blower - same sized implements really. I don't have an implement wanting for the extra HP.

The JD's cab sticks out as spectacular to me and much more comfortable than the Kubotas. My Kubota dealer does not have a L4240 or L4740 yet for me to drive but a L4740 is on is way.

Both will require me to spend on a hydraulic top link and a toothbar so those are moot.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning towards the JD for the value and the cab. I sure like the idea of not having to source stuff for the tractor, convert the bucket etc. Kubota dealer might even take my current tractor in a trade at a reasonable price making it easier.

Last edited:
   / New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #2  
I'm generally an orange kind of guy, but it would be hard to pass up that 4520, and it is one beautiful tractor, without a doubt. About the only thing I can think of that might make a difference is if you really got hooked on the HST+ over the eHydro. Such a choice! Oi vay!

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #3  
Both tractors are good machines. You'll take more of a hit with the Kubota because of the initial depreciation. I'd take the 4520 but I already have a Deere and am looking at getting a 4520 as I downsize.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #4  
Most of my tractors are orange, but I couldn't pass up on the JD4520.

I must be missing something as you say it has loaded tires, but list $500 to put calcium.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #5  
This might be a personal quirk, but I'll take new over used anytime... Unless, PERHAPS, the used from from a family member and I knew the entire history of the machine intimately ..

As always .. YMMV

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520
Most of my tractors are orange, but I couldn't pass up on the JD4520.

I must be missing something as you say it has loaded tires, but list $500 to put calcium.

My mistake. The JD4520 tires are NOT loaded. I will have to get them loaded.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #7  
My mistake. The JD4520 tires are NOT loaded. I will have to get them loaded.

Most on here load with Rimguard or windshield wiper fluid in lieu of calcium due to corrosion. Rimguard is pretty expensive stuff; don't know the cost of WWF, but we have it in our tractors.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #8  
I'd go for the new Kubota! :thumbsup:

2007 is an old machine... it's almost 2012! :laughing:

Plus I trust Kubota more than I do Deere in this horsepower range. :cool:

Good luck!

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520
Curious to know where you guys are able to source all that WWF from? Does it come in a big drum that I can transport on a pallet in the pickup? That would be useful as I could keep the drum around in the case of a leak.

Also how much difference is there in weight per gallon vs. Calcium and RimGuard? Not that it should matter that much because I generally do have something hooked to the back of the tractor. There is the odd time when I lift something that I don't have anything hooked to the 3pt.

/ New Kubota L4240/L4740 vs slightly used JD 4520 #10  
My dealer only uses WWF, so that is where I got it; don't know where else it can be obtained. Someone posted the various weights, but I don't know the name of the thread though I do know Rimguard is the heaviest.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will happen along.