why trade so much

/ why trade so much #11  
One reason is they are being regulated out of existence in places like CA...

If you are in business and your equipment doesn't meet the State requirements... you are out of business...

Covers most equipment that runs on Diesel...

Know a guy that is always trading used equipment... it has turned out into a profitable sideline for him...

/ why trade so much #12  
i buy stuff to keep usually. only in rare instances have i traded..

soundguy

/ why trade so much #13  
Thanks TripleR, btw, that's me, on left, on my very own Massey. :D

Produce farming is in my blood, I guess. Almost 57 years after that photo was shot, I'm still at it. Changes? Far fewer than one would think. 90% of the stuff I do as we always have. There's almost nothing I'm doing today that I couldn't still do with that Massey just as well. Well, accept for one huge thing!!!

That big old bucket I can stick to the front end of the 'Bota. Oh yeah, .....and one more thing!!!! Power steering. :thumbsup:
That alone is worth every penny of a modern tractor.

There isn't much produce farming in my area as it seems no one really wants to "work" anymore. We were row crop farmers with some cattle, but we had a pretty good sized garden that helped feed us. We didn't use chemicals, so we all spent a fair amount of time using a hoe, weed hook, Kaiser Blade, Brier Scythe etc.

My dad traded two old N Models in on a brand new 1955 Ford 600 that we still have. Prior to getting the N Models which were bought used, dad farmed with Mules and raised them though I was a wee small tyke then.

I had to give up driving the Fords a couple of years ago, I still drive with my thumbs outside the steering wheel.:laughing:

Power steering and FEL.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ why trade so much #14  
"Most of the guys here are not farmers. They'll trade off their tractors like they would a truck, a boat or motorcycle. It's no big deal...."

That's the impression I've gotten and I see it most in the new-to-tractor-buying posters who seem to look at buying their "new" tractor just like they would a vehicle. It would seem that, like another mentioned above, that many of these don't realize the inherent life built into a tractor as compared to the average vehicle.

But I think we also see people who have misjudged or skimped on their original buy, later regret it, and now look to trade into what they really wanted all along........bigger, cab, loader, etc.

/ why trade so much #15  
"Most of the guys here are not farmers. They'll trade off their tractors like they would a truck, a boat or motorcycle. It's no big deal...."

That's the impression I've gotten and I see it most in the new-to-tractor-buying posters who seem to look at buying their "new" tractor just like they would a vehicle. It would seem that, like another mentioned above, that many of these don't realize the inherent life built into a tractor as compared to the average vehicle.

But I think we also see people who have misjudged or skimped on their original buy, later regret it, and now look to trade into what they really wanted all along........bigger, cab, loader, etc.

I would agree with that, I think one thing that is happening is that so many people now have tractors that would not have and them in earlier years (like me). They have become a status symbol for those who have larger yards; the Wall Street Journal had a story about that maybe a year or so ago. Some of those folks change their cars every 3 +/- years for reasons only God understands, and I suspect some are doing that with their tractors as well. I won't be swapping tractors routinely, too expensive and I have better uses for that money. But if I did swap, I'd never trade in the old one...that makes an expensive transaction even more so. I'll take that back, there might be a few specific reasons I'd trade (problems with the old tractor) but they are very few. At age 63, I think in my life I've traded in a car/truck maybe 3 times.

/ why trade so much #16  
For some people, always having the newest and most expensive of everything is a status symbol. Shows you've got enough dough to waste it and not care, I guess. That wouldn't impress very many of the real farmers I grew up with.

/ why trade so much #17  
Some simply cannot afford the down time. I know of Dairy farmers, that trade mixer tractors every 7 years or so. At 1200-1500 hours per year, once they get close to 10,000 hours, time to trade. Since the cows pay the bills, taking care of them is important.

A 30 - 40 year old tractor with only 3-4000 hours on it cannot be compared to a newer tractor that has 10,000 hours on it. Both may of been trouble free, but one spent more time sitting in a shed. Not a fair comparison at all.

We traded up to cast iron, a cab, and Powershuttle. It will be around for years. :)

Last edited:
   / why trade so much #18  
For some people, always having the newest and most expensive of .

Wow.. I got it all wrong. I got the oldest and cheapest.. ;)

soundguy

/ why trade so much #20  

this is the catagory i fal into....kinda. i have 5 acres of florida river bottom flat land and use of 5 more that belongs to my neighbor and best freind since 1975 or so. i have been needing a tractor since i bought this land but couldnt afford it til last year. i have been doing everything with riding mowers and having to replace them every year to 18 months depending on brand, the exception being troy built, ive been using it for about 4 years now, its been a tough machine. this land is classic florida, thick enough you cant walk through it, gall berry, bay trees and palmetto so i needed to get it cleared, that means tractor...4wd tractor. i know very little about tractors so i asked questions of everybody i could think of and then went lookin at new and used. i decided on the 5105 used mfwd because it was plenty big for the terrain i needed to get walked down and would pull the implements i wanted and never know they are there, i looked at smaller tractors and actually prefered something around 30 to 40 horse but they was scarce and priced high, big demand i guess. now for the difference. the land clearing is done and the 5105 is kinda big for 21/2 or 3 acres of row crops so i was considering selling or trading down to a smaller tractor even though i love the ability of the 5105 for pushing and diggin around lighter stumps that need gettin up. after going back and forth for months what i came up with is i am gonna keep the 5105 and rearrange the crops to get the rows 5 or 6 hundred feet long, right now our longest rows are 175 feet, thats a lot of turning around at the end of every row. i still want a smaller tractor for the plowin, cultivating etc' but i'll wait until i can afford another one without sacraficing the 5105. i am not a trader because your giving your old one away, thats why i got a delapidated old 92 f150 i'll probably never drive again but i sure wasnt gonna give it to a dealer when it can sit here for free. i guess its kinda like my best freind who ive known for all these years, the thought of it not bein there just aint a pleasent one,