why trade so much

/ why trade so much #31  
attachment.php
If these guys didn't trade tractors often where would we get the good deals on used tractors?
attachment.php

Apparently, here in eastern PA, they don't trade 'em in; used CUTs are scarce.

Many of us at TBN come with different histories. Full time or retired farmers. Six figure executives wanting another toy to go with the cigarette boat and the helicopter. New to the "country" folks who want some horses and a wood burning stove.

Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it::D
12 years ago I has a barn I turned into a house/pottery studio on 3 acres. A TSC rider cut the grass, a weed whacker took care of the rest. Outgrew the place, bought a 1781 mill down the road, on 15 acres of millpond, stream, woods, and a couple of acres of "once upon a time" pasture. The riding mower handles the 1/4 acre of rough lawn, and a bush hog on the 850 cuts the rest, twice a year.
That 30 year old 850, turf tires and NOTHING else, was what I considered an upgrade (diesel! John Deere!) from the rider. That was 10 years ago, when I didn't know about TBN (or much else about CUTS:laughing:)

Now I know I want/need a basic 4WD, FEL, R4's, Hydro machine.I guess I better go buy a lottery ticket. . .

Attachments

• Guldin Mill 96dpi.jpg
    Guldin Mill 96dpi.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 416
  • barn jpeg.jpg
    barn jpeg.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 418
   / why trade so much #32  
Really neat property DAY.:thumbsup:

/ why trade so much #34  
Day,

Very nice property and the mill pond is great.

I would find a better place for the satelite dish though.:D

/ why trade so much #35  
I know I trade often because I am a tractor "enthusiast." I enjoy the experience of riding in the seat and being outside and knowing I do not HAVE to do it, but want to. I do not fully know what it is, whether it be the experience of operating a machine that is different and has different characteristics/strengths, a connection with my childhood (my father had a tractor and my fondest times were riding on that with him), or a connection with what is simple and yet productive draws me to trading often, but I do. Luckily, I have been able to support my addiction and have been able to sell or trade my older machine for a good price when I move on. To me as one who uses these machines for projects more than necessity, there is quite a bit of pleasure that comes from operating something for comparison. That said, I, like many others, am holding on to my current machine as it is perfect for my current needs, is paid for, and gives me the enjoyment I seek for not much money.

John M

/ why trade so much #36  
I can identify with that John as all I really need is a gas riding mower for my own uses. I enjoy tractors and certainy have an addiction to them too, for the same reasons you mentioned. Some of the best times my father and I enjoyed together were on tractors. For the most part my landscaping business is to support the addiction to tractors.:laughing:

/ why trade so much #37  
attachment.php
If these guys didn't trade tractors often where would we get the good deals on used tractors?
attachment.php

Apparently, here in eastern PA, they don't trade 'em in; used CUTs are scarce.

Many of us at TBN come with different histories. Full time or retired farmers. Six figure executives wanting another toy to go with the cigarette boat and the helicopter. New to the "country" folks who want some horses and a wood burning stove.

Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it::D
12 years ago I has a barn I turned into a house/pottery studio on 3 acres. A TSC rider cut the grass, a weed whacker took care of the rest. Outgrew the place, bought a 1781 mill down the road, on 15 acres of millpond, stream, woods, and a couple of acres of "once upon a time" pasture. The riding mower handles the 1/4 acre of rough lawn, and a bush hog on the 850 cuts the rest, twice a year.
That 30 year old 850, turf tires and NOTHING else, was what I considered an upgrade (diesel! John Deere!) from the rider. That was 10 years ago, when I didn't know about TBN (or much else about CUTS:laughing:)

Now I know I want/need a basic 4WD, FEL, R4's, Hydro machine.I guess I better go buy a lottery ticket. . .

Day -

Beautiful place! No pictures of the waterwheel??

/ why trade so much #38  
i guess im an old farmer that dont beleive in trading tractors every few years.i live by you buy tractors an equipment when you have to.so i was wondering why every1 trades tractors every 5yrs or so.is it because you can have new write offs every 5yrs.

Actually a very fair and valid question. I'm not a farmer, but grew up on a very small farm with some old farmalls and a homemade tractor. My Dad still has a couple of the farmalls, but also sold one and got a JD 4310.
I guess I do look at it like cars, I like to "upgrade" every so often. Case in point - I just sold/traded a 2007 SCUT and bought a 2010 SCUT.....the 2010 has several more features that make it much more appealing. And, I'm selling another one of my CUT's to get a larger (45-50HP) CUT that I can do a lot more with.
As with cars/trucks, there is probably a general depreciation curve that indicates after a certain period of time, the value drops off more rapidly. If you can afford to stay ahead of that curve, you would be always own newer equipment that would be more valuable and perhaps require less repairs.

JMO......

/ why trade so much #39  
Actually a very fair and valid question. I'm not a farmer, but grew up on a very small farm with some old farmalls and a homemade tractor. My Dad still has a couple of the farmalls, but also sold one and got a JD 4310.
I guess I do look at it like cars, I like to "upgrade" every so often. Case in point - I just sold/traded a 2007 SCUT and bought a 2010 SCUT.....the 2010 has several more features that make it much more appealing. And, I'm selling another one of my CUT's to get a larger (45-50HP) CUT that I can do a lot more with.
As with cars/trucks, there is probably a general depreciation curve that indicates after a certain period of time, the value drops off more rapidly. If you can afford to stay ahead of that curve, you would be always own newer equipment that would be more valuable and perhaps require less repairs.

JMO......

That is probably one of the main differences between farmers and hobbyists/enthusiasts. For a farmer, the requirements are pretty much something that will drag stuff through the fields as well as pull stuff and pick things up. "Appealing" to one may be very well mean something different to each type with the emphasis being more on production for the farmer and something different for the hobbyist/enthusiast.

There will even be a difference between a cattleman and row cropper and others variations as well as full time v part time farmer.

I am old enough to have watched the evolution in farming and change from "nice to have" to "must have".

For those who think a cab is a "nice to have" for a farmer, go spend a few days working up a wheat or corn field that was just burned. That can literally put you out of commission for a couple of days. I have chronic bronchitis from breathing particulates over the years and sometimes have to wear a mask even inside a cab.

Now for a cattleman or other than full time row cropper, a cab may either be a "nice to have" or even hindrance. Location will also come in to play.

As a former farmer and now hobbyist/enthusiast, I find myself somewhere in between, but beginning to lean more to the "nice to have"; just still find it hard to trade though.

/ why trade so much #40  
That is probably one of the main differences between farmers and hobbyists/enthusiasts. For a farmer, the requirements are pretty much something that will drag stuff through the fields as well as pull stuff and pick things up. "Appealing" to one may be very well mean something different to each type with the emphasis being more on production for the farmer and something different for the hobbyist/enthusiast.

There will even be a difference between a cattleman and row cropper and others variations as well as full time v part time farmer.

I am old enough to have watched the evolution in farming and change from "nice to have" to "must have".

For those who think a cab is a "nice to have" for a farmer, go spend a few days working up a wheat or corn field that was just burned. That can literally put you out of commission for a couple of days. I have chronic bronchitis from breathing particulates over the years and sometimes have to wear a mask even inside a cab.

Now for a cattleman or other than full time row cropper, a cab may either be a "nice to have" or even hindrance. Location will also come in to play.

As a former farmer and now hobbyist/enthusiast, I find myself somewhere in between, but beginning to lean more to the "nice to have"; just still find it hard to trade though.

RRR -

You're absolutely correct, a point I had wanted to include but obviously had another lapse of aptitude. :laughing:

The farmer is in it for a business; guys like myself its more of a "hobby tool". Big difference. Farmers will put 5,000 or 10,000 hours on a machine and not even think about trading. As long as it keeps pulling. And, as a business, once it's paid off you're making a bit more profit.
Unfortunately, don't think I'll ever have a cabbed tractor! :(