Buying Advice 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy?

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #1  

Martian

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere
Hi all,
I've been looking at backhoes for a while now and I've been looking at this Case 590 Turbo. From what I've seen online the 590 is rated 98HP which is 3.5 times more than my John Deere 3120. Reason for wanting is I just got 12 wooded acres that I would like to use it on. My tractor was fine for my 3 acres at home but it just wouldn't have enough power to do a lot of what I want to do up north.

With that said anyone love or hate their 590 Turbo?

Thanks for the help!!

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #2  
Have you looked at this unit, what kind of shape is it in?

That is a good sized hoe, lots of power and reach.:thumbsup:

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #3  
Case BH's make up about 90% of BH's around here. I believe the 580 is more common than the 590 but they are workhorses and wouldn't be so popular if they did not do the job. If the unit is in good shape, you should be happy. What are the tasks you have planned for it on the new acreage?

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #4  
case does make a nice backhoe and the 590 is no exception, however before you make a decision I would look at where you can get parts and for what prices because they made a lot more 580's than 590's and parts can be a little tricky

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy?
Have you looked at this unit, what kind of shape is it in?

That is a good sized hoe, lots of power and reach.:thumbsup:

Haven't looked at it yet but from the Craislist it looks in decent shape. Good thing is it was owned by a farmer and he operated it himself.

Case BH's make up about 90% of BH's around here. I believe the 580 is more common than the 590 but they are workhorses and wouldn't be so popular if they did not do the job. If the unit is in good shape, you should be happy. What are the tasks you have planned for it on the new acreage?

I have a little bit of property right down the road so I drove my 4 wheeler down there and I couldn't get a 100' in because of all the down trees so most of what I'll be doing is just thinning it out. I'd like to try and do most of the work myself and get it done the way I want it.

case does make a nice backhoe and the 590 is no exception, however before you make a decision I would look at where you can get parts and for what prices because they made a lot more 580's than 590's and parts can be a little tricky

That is a good point... but what exactly is the difference between the too?

I think the 590 had more horsepower but I'm not positive.

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #7  
I'm sure the 590 has it's place but I have never had a problem with power on my 580k. If the 590 has more weight and stronger hydraulics then I guess it could be worth more otherwise I don't think I would pay more for a 590 over a 580. Actually I just don't think I would ever need the extra power of the 590.

Don't get me wrong if the price is right for the condition I wouldn't not buy it. I just know that when I run mine I never have it anywhere near max RPM for the motor. The relief valve will kick in long before power becomes an issue. All higher engine speeds get you is more hydraulic flow and a little quicker operation.

I bought my 580k to clear a lot on my 40 acres to build a house. I've pulled stumps with it that were over 3' in diameter or were 4 or 5 trees growing out of the same root ball. Some stumps take 10 or so minutes but I have never found a stump it couldn't handle. People often talk about how strong they think the 854 loader is on the Kubota GL's but it's a toy compared to the 580K.

crazyal said:
I'm sure the 590 has it's place but I have never had a problem with power on my 580k. If the 590 has more weight and stronger hydraulics then I guess it could be worth more otherwise I don't think I would pay more for a 590 over a 580. Actually I just don't think I would ever need the extra power of the 590.

Don't get me wrong if the price is right for the condition I wouldn't not buy it. I just know that when I run mine I never have it anywhere near max RPM for the motor. The relief valve will kick in long before power becomes an issue. All higher engine speeds get you is more hydraulic flow and a little quicker operation.

I bought my 580k to clear a lot on my 40 acres to build a house. I've pulled stumps with it that were over 3' in diameter or were 4 or 5 trees growing out of the same root ball. Some stumps take 10 or so minutes but I have never found a stump it couldn't handle. People often talk about how strong they think the 854 loader is on the Kubota GL's but it's a toy compared to the 580K.

Ok. What year is your 580K? Where they made the same time? Also that's good to know you had plenty of power. I definitely would jump on a 580 but the 590 is in great condition and is really close to me. Also do you have the Case controls or the 2-stick? And you comment about the RPM's I totally agree, I get to a point on my 3120 where I see no extra strength and it almost makes the tractor a little to jumpy. Also do you pull out stumps with your loader or backhoe?

Thanks for you help!

/ 1994 Case 590 Turbo - Should I Buy? #9  
Ok. What year is your 580K? Where they made the same time? Also that's good to know you had plenty of power. I definitely would jump on a 580 but the 590 is in great condition and is really close to me. Also do you have the Case controls or the 2-stick? And you comment about the RPM's I totally agree, I get to a point on my 3120 where I see no extra strength and it almost makes the tractor a little to jumpy. Also do you pull out stumps with your loader or backhoe?

Thanks for you help!

Mine's I think is a 91. After buying it I found out that the year means less than the serial number. When buying parts that's what they will ask for.

I almost bought a 680k because it was in great shape from the original owner. It had only been used in the sandy like conditions on Long Island. But to get it here was turning out to be a kind of a problem. I hire someone to drive it up here was very expensive if they drove through NYC and up NY to get here. I was looking into having it dropped off at a ferry that went from Long Island to CT and then have it trucked from there for about half the cost. But then I came across the one I bought 20 miles away.

So if it's close and in good condition and the price is good I would do the same and buy it. The 580 is pretty heavy and you'll notice it in the woods. You sit high so when it leans on uneven ground you really feel it but over all it doesn't feel tippy. I'm not sure if the extra weight will help you or hurt you. Often times while trying to remove a stump I have to have the front bucket curled down and planted so the front tires are off the ground so it keeps from dragging the BH towards the stumps. It'll take you a little time to build up some skills on how to remove things like stumps but that's kind of fun.

I have the 3 stick without the extend-a-hoe. I have been told that if you transport a turbo 580 to put something over the exhaust pipe (like a bucket) to keep water and stuff out of the turbo.