Really just looking right now

/ Really just looking right now #11  
It seems to me, based on what I've read in this forum, good resale is restricted to the big three--not that you'll get nothing for other tractors, but probably a lot less than what you paid for it. Then again, if you buy it used, the value does not have as far to drop. assuming you get a good deal in the first place. I thought Bird's post had some great advice.

/ Really just looking right now #12  
I am kindof a traditional-farmer type, so I will try not to be harsh, just clear: this is not about money. Right now you live on 1/3 acre, you are talking about buying a couple acres to build a house. Neither plot of land really justifies much of a tractor, much less an expensive TLB. I would think one year of weekends and you will have moved every inch of soil on 2 acres with a TLB - even a BX22. So if you get to the point with the CFO where this is a hobby, a toy, you will at least be honest with your loved one. I cant even imagine having a CUT on a 1/3 acre plot...it would take less than a half hour to mow the lawn....? And a tiller - you would have two passes and be done.

I have 40 acres, till 5 mow 3, hog 5 and I cant justify a TLB. I hire a track hoe for $90 an hour and leave the light stuff to my used compact. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Really just looking right now #13  
SteveM

Harsh you are not. I was going to post same about people living on 1 or 2 acre plots needing a big tractor. As you noted, the house itself occupies the whole space.

I live on a 35 acre plot, mostly wooded. I have about 2 acres of lawn to mow, a pond to mow around, a gravel driveway about 600ft long to maintain, and a mile and a half of trail on my grounds. My small BX22 is up to the task, unless I am missing something. I am not a farmer.

A tractor as a toy is a different matter though.

SethO

/ Really just looking right now #14  
<font color="blue"> I cant even imagine having a CUT on a 1/3 acre plot...it would take less than a half hour to mow the lawn....?</font>

I had to laugh when I saw this - I am on a 1/2 acre residential plot, and yes, my tractor is a toy, although a handy one. With my MMM, it takes me about 5 passes around the front yard to mow, and around 15 passes in the back. Usually I can finish my drink before I am done mowing, if I take my time moving from the front to the back.

/ Really just looking right now
HI,

I don't believe the original poster really said how big of a tractor he was thinking of getting. He seems mainly to want to get the right one for him and realizes that he might want something bigger later after he moves to a place with a few acres.

I don't doubt that small TLB like the bx22 would work well for several acres, but I also know that there are MANY people that have tractors larger than the bx22...on several acres or less.

Myself, I have a Kubota B2910 and under 4 acres. I love it and am glad I went with the bigger tractor, although as some here may know I did start looking at the bx22.

For the last 20 years I have watched my neighbor happily use his 36 HP Massy on his 4.5 acres. Granted he does cut the grass on his small green tractor. But for other than grass cutting he is always on the big guy.

I think we should all keep in mind SteveM's thoughts...but personally, I don't think the bx22 is the stopping point for someone that only has several acres. Naturally my opinion is that something the size of a B2910 is the stopping point... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the extra loader capacity and the larger backhoe [when I use it]. I did not buy my tractor just because I could use one, but also because it is something I dreamed about having for 20 years [actually more] and when it became possible I got both a tool and a toy.

They say there is a skinny person inside each of us, and I guess there is a bx22 inside my tractor too. My B2910 may be more than I actually need, but it certainly is not more than I actually want!

Replies to many, with thanks...

Wow- so here goes;

Bird- Everyone seems to agree that a small tractor can do most thing a larger one can do, just much more slowly. I guess that keeping a smaller implement with a larger tractor would tend to negate at least some of its relative advantage. Unfortunately, the "cheaper" larger used tractors tend to push one into somewhere close to the new range of smaller units. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

chrisjbell- I had managed to figure out the bit about certain implements needing to cover the wheel base. So a smaller tractor can't handle implements that are too big, and smaller implements can't handle a tractor that is too big. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19th_VA- As for greys, they're always tempting, but I too tended to gravitate towards the big three. Something about not having the experience to trust myself to fight the current. Used tractors still seem amazingly high to me compared to new, but if I pick tractors anything like I pick stocks it'll be but high and sell low. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SteveM- If by harsh you mean honest, bring it on. I have always presented a tractor in the same manner as most of my other large tools; useful hobby items. In terms of need, we were just considering a 27+ acre property, basically completely undeveloped. Access issues ended up dissuading us, but I do actually have "real" tractor work in mind. But I will always admit that I am not intending to be a farmer, and I suppose I could live without a tractor on our current property. (An admission I will make only because "she" doesn't read these posts! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

SethO- The BX-22 is actually the unit I have focused most of my attention on, and is the one the CFO assumes is "my" tractor. And my birthday is coming up... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rdricks- Since we live on a court, we have a postage stamp sized front yard, more than a little of which is concrete. For me it's not much more than 5 passes pushing the old Lawn Boy. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Henro- I've never said how big, at least for the future. Based on the many threads exploring that topic, i know that I'm not going to let myself get pinned down on that right now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

All of this simply proves once again what an amazing resource TBN is. Do you think we can get Muhammad to start WorldPeaceByNet or CureForCancerByNet ?

/ Really just looking right now #17  
I guess everyone has their own reasons for the size of tractor they have. Most of you would say murph your crazy for having 29 horsepower for only 2.2 acres. And for the most part I would agree with you. But I had a 21 horsepower and on my hills I actually feared for my life especially with the loader. So 29 horsepower was not my goal but a more stable tractor. It takes me about an hour to mow my lawn. Actually I probably have only 1 acre to mow. I would have gone with the 25 horsepower but the 29 was only $400.00 more. So that is my reasons. Do I wish I had a smaller tractor and spent less. Absolutely not. My neighbors may laugh some but I don't care. I enjoy my tractor and now when my 13 year old daughter gets on it and mows, I don't have to worry. For those of you that have kids, it is a joy to sit and watch them drive the tractor. Something I won't ever forget.

murph

/ Really just looking right now #18  
Re: Replies to many, with thanks...

Hey, we're keeping you busy with having to respond to so many, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> So a smaller tractor can't handle implements that are too big, and smaller implements can't handle a tractor that is too big. </font>

Almost what I meant. The smaller tractor can't handle the bigger implements (I once tried to use a 60" tiller on mine, and it fit the 3PT hitch but the thing nearly tipped me over backwards when I tried to pick it up and move it /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif). A bigger tractor can handle smaller implements just fine (like Bird mentioned).

But what I was talking about is that for a mower (at least a brush hog), it isn't a big deal if the implement is narrower than your wheel track - it isn't going to make much of a difference. For something like a blade or a box scraper, if the implement is narrower than the tractor's wheel track it'll still work, but you'll have wheel tracks that won't get covered up by the trailing blade.

Does that make any sense at all? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

But you (generally) *can* use a smaller implement on a larger tractor without harm as long as the hitch type is the same.

Oh, and don't worry about replying to me specifically - I'm sure you have your hands full /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

BTW, the BX22 sounds like a *really* nice tractor. It has more HP than mine, is actually a bit smaller (which is a Good Thing because the COG is lower, so less likely to tip), and has power steering, too. My father in law just bought two acres and is looking so I'm pretty curious about this stuff now.

...Chris

Re: Replies to many, with thanks...

I understood exactly what you meant the first time, chrisjbell- can't a guy have a little fun? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And if y'all can take the time to reply to a newbie, I really can't expect any sympathy for having to take the time to read and acknowledge.

Y'know Richard, I just thought of something-

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not being a tractor owner yet myself (I bought a industrial TLB) )</font>

Doesn't the "T" in "TLB" stand for tractor ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Or does no PTO or three point disqualify you?