BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #1  

nyfarm777

Hello and good evening,

I am new to the forum but so far I have received such great information and help on my task of purchasing a tractor for my farmland needs. I have decided I am going to try to purchase a Tractor with minimum 35 PTO HP for my everyday tasks, but now I am trying to focus on one brand and look into a model within that brand that I can purchase. I am focusing on Kubota and New Holland but I am open to suggestions in looking into other tractor brands that are worth taking a look. I am new to tractors and this will be my first tractor and any suggestions on choosing a brand would be good to have so that I can choose wisely and know I will be buying from a reputable brand/dealer, etc.

I was trying to search for more information in regards to the Kubota and New Holland models trying to get more information on which brand is better in terms of durability, quality, toughness, etc inclding price but have not found anything only parts of information of what I am trying to know.

I have seen Kubota tractors and I actually like their models and the tractors they sell, and New Holland has some tractors that look that would be also fit my needs but I would appreciate to get more information and a a comparison look to these two brands. If there other brands that might be worth looking into please mention them.

Where my farmland is located Kubota and New Holland dealers are not far away so that is not my concern. I will be using my tractor for a small farm, for plowing/tilling, brush hogging, land clearning, ditching and load work/backhoe work.

I appreciate the information any suggestions and recomendations,

Thank you very much.

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #2  
That's pretty general. Problem is, plowing. a 35 pto horse tractor today isn't capable of pulling anything over a single bottom and not over 8" in any ground other than sandy loam.

35 horse puts you at the low end of a medium frame/weight tractor.

I'd be looking at 50 pto or better unless you want your proposed chores to last all day and night....

If you plan on plowing forget an HST in a smaller tractor.

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #3  
To start with, pretty much all the new tractors are pretty good machines these days. You don't really need to be concerned about one tractor being all that much better than another.

I suggest that you decide on what is a distance that you are willing to drive to be able to look at a tractor. Once you determine that distance, make a call to every single dealer within that distance. Ask them them if they have any tractors in the 40-50hp range.

Go and look, sit and hopefully test operate each and every different make and model that you can. When at each dealer, pay attention to how they treat you and make you feel, ask any and all questions that you can think of. Their answers can affect how you feel about that dealer.

All the different makes and models are a little bit different when it comes to how they might feel TO YOU and what are options on some are standard features on others. When comparing prices, try to compare feature to feature so that you get a true value comparison.

Here are a few tractor brands that I would consider if I were purchasing a new machine these days. The high lighted names are actually from the same OEM company and are basically the same tractor with a different color paint job. Case and New Holland use to be the same machine with different sheet metal, not sure if that is still true at this time though. :confused:

Good luck with your research and feel free to ask any and all questions. ;)

Bobcat
Case
Cub Cadet Yanmar
John Deere
Kioti
Kubota
Landini
LS
McCormick
Mahindra
Massey Ferguson
New Holland
TYM

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #4  
It would help a bit if you could tell us something about your property. Acreage, how much in woods vs. open, hilly vs. flat, type of soil, climate (New York State?), etc. Presumably, snow removal is a factor.

What kind of "plowing" did you anticipate? Gardens and food plots or entire fields for crops? If it's small stuff, a tiller is a good attachment for a 40-50 hp tractor. Otherwise, 5030 is right... you're going to need bigger equipment.

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #5  
Really,
I plowed for years with a two bottom plow ,2/12 behind a L3130 HST in the rock strewn Northeast with no problems.Maybe 25 pto hp.[QUOTE

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #6  
Really,
I plowed for years with a two bottom plow ,2/12 behind a L3130 HST in the rock strewn Northeast with no problems.Maybe 25 pto hp.[QUOTE

I think that he mentioned "over 8" in the ground" Your 2/12 would normally be tilling 6" of dirt wouldn't it?

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison
Thank you for the replies. The property consists of 85 acres with half wooded completely and the rest open but full of brush and some scattered trees in some parts. The property is located in Orange county so parts of the property will have some of their prized black dirt as they call it. I will clean out the property(open part) to start cultivating and growing about 5-10 acres or more of vegetables and other crops. We are trying to start a small farm.

Well since I am trying to focus on something used and economical but with a good PTO HP range for attachments what models (even other brand models) in the kubota and new holland brand should I look at if anything? I will try to go to the dealers to get more information and test drive but I know for sure I will be buying used to save myself some cash.

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #8  
I'm thinking you should be looking at a older, but in good condition, agricultural tractor in the 60-80 hp range. Heavy, well-built machines, not necessarily 4x4, but very capable of handling your tillage and mowing work. I'm thinking Deere, Massey Ferguson, Case IH, Ford/New Holland. If you can find one in decent condition, it should do your work reliably. You may have to spend some time doing some fixing once in a while, but parts would most likely never be a problem.

This is going to be a bigger tractor than even the large "compact" tractors usually discussed here on TBN, but your property and your work suggest that type of equipmenet to me.

I wouldn't worry excessively about which brand (assuming you find one of the major brands), paying more attention to the condition of the specific tractor.

Maybe some of the guys that make a living with equipment like that will have better advice, but that's what I'd suggest.

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #9  
I was actually in a similar situation and was unfortanately not aware of this website at the time, but ended up going with a brand new New Holland.... I wish I had gone the other way! Maybe I got a "Friday 5:00" tractor, but I have had numerous problems with it. The dealer sold me the tractor and booted me out the door. Dealing with NH regarding the warranty work has been a nightmare and I'm still having problems. I wish I did go with the Kubota or an older New Holland in decent shape. Whichever you decide to go with, you may want to do some research on the dealer you buy it from, regardless of the brand. Good luck :)
Note: New Holland only pays 60% of warranty work to dealer, meaning you may have to bring it back to the original dealer you got it from to have taken care of properly....

/ BRAND Kubota/New Holland Comparison #10  
Listen to your "Grandad4"! Farmers have been tilling the soil for decades without 4WD and HST, and will continue to do so.
If there are any farmers nearby go make one or two of them your "new best friend". They can answer questions you didn't know you had.
Maybe hire one to come bush hog some of that "open but full of brush" ground. If you ask nicely, he'll probably let you sit in the seat,and try 'er out!