Comparison Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains

/ Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains #1  

93Mustang

Silver Member
Tractor
JD ##@)
Interested in opinions regarding 2 link vs general ladder chains. Have r4 tires and will be used on pavement so no vbar etc. Will be using on a hill so it seems obvious but reason I ask is that the 2 link is twice the cost... I assume general ladder will do less damage but also provide less traction?

Thank you - Dana

/ Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains #2  
The problem is keeping the chains from falling between the lugs of the tires. The 2 link just give you more chances of having a cross chain stay on top of the lug. They make nicer chains that are made for pavement that will work with any type tire.

/ Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains
Thanks crazyal- do you have a make or type you recommend for pavement?

/ Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains #4  
Any chain will mark pavement, if you spin your wheels!
The more links that contact the surface, the less chances of slippage.
" " " " the smoother the ride will be.
I have some paved drive, and yes slip the chains from time to time but then within a few weeks of spring thaw the dirt and crud kinda blends everything so I don't se the marks.
But then I don't paint my pave either nor do I wax my tractor.

/ Ladder vs 2 link ladder chains #5  
Aquiline makes a chain for skid steers and tractors called the MPC. They say it doesn't damage pavement. They are a little pricey.

http://aquilinetirechains.com/AquilineBrochure_0510.pdf

There's another company out of Sweden or Norway that makes a line of tires chains that include a pavement chain but I can't remember the name. They have a distributor in New Hampshire and often ship chains to local dealers for free so that's the brand I went with (but what I got is too aggressive for pavement).