Price Check Price range for 1957 ford 800 series

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series #1  

ike333

Tractor
looking
Hello to all... I'm looking at a ford 1957 800 series with loader and backhoe. It jumps out of third gear and the motor was last rebuilt in 1997. Transmission was changed our 2 years ago with new clutch.. what should I consider when looking at this model and what should I pay on the high and low side??

Thanks much

Ike

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series #2  
jumping out of 3rd could be as simle as a worn detent plunger and spring, or could be something more like gear and bearing wear.

there is a row of slot headed plugs downt he side of the tranny that hose the shifter detents.. you can unscrew with a big flat blade screwdriver and pull the plug out and use a maglet to fish the plunger and spring out. 3/R is the top gate and gets the most use.. kinda like a shuttle.. wears the most.

if it looks real worn, here's a trick. 4/5 is the bottom gate.. gets used the least, if at all.. pull it's spring and plunger and swap them.. if that solves the issue, buy a new set and repalce them all.. or at least the worn one you swapped into 4/5.

if that don't do it, you got 2 more options.

1, full trans rebuild ( might be cheaper to buy another trans? )

2, redneck-repair... 3"" spring with 2 loop/hook ends with about 2" lead on each side of the spring, a sheet metal screw and washer.

put shifter into 3rd gear, slip 1 spring hook end around shifter nec right under ball, stretch a bit till it's under a few pounds of tension, and then mark a dot on the lower dash cowlingwhere the other loop end of the spring could be made to touch.. remove spring from shifer, install sheetmetal screw and washer to hold spring to coulwing, and hen you use 3rd, slip the spring over onto the shifter. ;) I got one 850 that if you decel/accel going down hill it will pop out of 3rd occasionally. it's an ugly work tractor used a few months a year to unload hay, and not worth a 500$ fix... so it got the spring.

also to think about.. is this an 850 or an 860 you ar elooking at.. both are 5spd, but the 860 is live pto / 2 stage clutch.. more valuable.

does it have power steering?

loaders generally wear the front end a bit.. expect that.

does the hoe have a subframe? or is it a 3pt or does it lack a 3pt?

is this really an 800 model.. or a later 4 cyl industrial tlb with a heavier front axle that simply has had it's trans swapped out from an 850/860?

how are the tires?

does she start easy?

hyds work.. all hoe and laoder controlls work? will it lift a load?

an average 8xx with a few issues and a how and laoder could be from 1500-3500 depending on your region and it's actiual condition and the answers to those questions above.

loadder style/design makes a difference as well as the hyd source for the laoder and hoe...

soundguy

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series
Sorry for bumping but I thought I might pick some brains around here about what would cause it to jump out of 3rd gear? This would be my first big tractor, I do own a wheelhorse c-125, I love it but I really need something with a backhoe and loader..

I would love to know if a 57 ford 800 series is the right purchase and what should the high-low range in price be?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Ike

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series #4  
Sorry for bumping but I thought I might pick some brains around here about what would cause it to jump out of 3rd gear? This would be my first big tractor, I do own a wheelhorse c-125, I love it but I really need something with a backhoe and loader..

I would love to know if a 57 ford 800 series is the right purchase and what should the high-low range in price be?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Ike

did you read my reply.. it took quite a bit of time to type all that in ???????

soundguy

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series
Thanks SG..

I guess I was typing this post when your answer was posted..

1. The guy told me that he replaced the trans with a used one because it was jumping out of third but even after doing that it still was doing the same thing I'n not sure but I think he told me it finally took the teeth of the gear..

2. I'm not exactly sure which model it is but he told me it has a live PTO and 5 speed trans. and yes the two stage clutch

3. This may answer the next 2 questions the hoe looks like it came from the factory on the tractor so it may be a industrial (tlb?) but I need to look at it a bit closer.. Can you tell me how I'll know if its a 860 or a industrial ford?

4. tires look to be about 80% front and back..

5. have not heard her start yet..

6. He said all hydraulics work great with no leaks..

7. I asked if the loader was a wagner and he said not sure, I asked if the hoe was a sherman and he said no he thinks it a ford...

Thats all I know about so far I'll look at it later today...

I'll be sure to ask if it has powerstering and about the charging system (12v?)

Thanks again SG I hope this gives you a better idea of what I'm looking at..

Ike

/ Price range for 1957 ford 800 series #6  
well.. the trans is likely from a 861 or a 4000 if it is 5spd and live pto ( 661/2000 as well ).. so you can't go byt he numbers on the replaced trans.

take a pic of the front end nose and also record some of the raised casting numbers.. especially on the engine, and on the rear axle trumpets.

pics in general will help.

soundguy