Tractor Sizing First Time Buyer - What Size?

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #21  
TractorTruck,

I have a TC29D with Hydro, Supersteer and sensi-trac. I love the supersteer for mowing. As far as the loader I don't think it changes stablility at all. I used to have a TC21D and it was not stabile at all. I took it back in and got the 29D. My lawn is very hilly and I now let my 13 year old daughter mow the lawn because the 29 is so much more stable. If you have any other questions about the 29 just holler.

As far as pricing, I paid just under 20k for the tractor, 72" mmm and 7308 loader.

murph

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... I was thinking that the new Kioti CK20 was going to do the job but, now it sounds like I better plan on bigger things. My CFO is not going to like hearing that - I just got her convinced that it would be worth while to make such a purchase so I better wait a while to tell her about an upgrade.)</font>

Keep in mind that the size issue is also a matter of what you are willing to spend more of... your time or your money. If money is a sticking point, then you probably do not want to be looking up around the 35 HP range. You can handle a 5 foot brush hog with 25 HP, depending on your conditions and how often you mow. If you go too much smaller on the tractor, you'll have to step down to a 4 foot brush hog and spend more time. It's similar with other implements.

You may find the ranges of size recommendations you receive here narrowing a bit if you can give us an idea of where you stand on the time vs. $$ trade-off.

BTW... I think Kioti makes some good machines for the money.

John Mc

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #23  
Let me verify my statement on Supersteer and stability. I have no problem with mine even on some sidehills. If you have some pretty good sidehills and the wheel tucking in tight you will see some problems. Supersteer is good for getting around things and you have to look at what you are going to mostly use the tractor for. If it is mowing, then go supersteer, if it is FEL work on side hills then I would forget the supersteer.

murph

/ First Time Buyer - What Size?
I went to a couple of dealers yesterday and spent some time at the NH dealer. The salesman was impressed with the knowledge I have gained here with all your help so, another big Thank You! to all of you. I am thinking of getting the TC33 w/o SS but, I have yet to get any seat time. At this point, I want to make contact with more dealers and see how they are.

I also looked at some Kubotas, the Grand L series is very nice and I may drive some tractors in the next couple of weeks so, that one goes on my list. I've yet to look at any JD's and the NH dealer only has big JD's in stock - there's another JD dealer that handles the compacts but, I don't trust that dealer based on prior experience so, I'll have to travel farther to find others.

Still trying to determine what we can really afford and need in a tractor but, really appreciate all your help. I am thinking of selling our DR chipper and 4WD ATV to help raise money for implements. It's kind of hard to let go of the ATV, it's been our little tractor for pulling trailers and plowing snow for years. Guess it's going to come down to 'How Much' we can get for it. Kind of funny - the ATV salesman told me I should be buying a tractor instead of the ATV. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Don,t forget about these grey tractors,also the chines tractors and yanmar tractors. I just bought a 25 h.p. new chinese tractor and including a new 5 ft. cutter and and a 6 ft heavy duty blade,also new,a new carry all and new pig pole all forunder $10,000.My neighbor has got a reconditioned jap tractor that he has been tring to tear up for three years now[seems like it any ways], for about the same money. IF you have plenty of money than go for one of those [name brands],the service will be a lot easier,or it should be,but to us poor folks,15 or 20,000 dollars for a small odd job tractor is to much money. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Yeah, I've been checking out those options as well, Richard. I just don't know about the lack of dealer support. My cousin also looked at the Jinma (Northern Hyd) units prior to his purchase of his Kubota and he was not impressed with the tractors. There is a place selling Jinma's pretty close but, it is a gas station who gets them from his brother in law - or something like that. Sounds like a pretty loose support program to me. I have a lot of mechanical experience so, that's not really a problem. I just know that it usually pays to buy the best that you can afford - from experience. I have to look closer at what "afford" really means to us. I'm close to having some business stuff paid for but, I don't yet know how "deep" I'm willing to go. My CFO (Mrs.) has been very agreeable to this point and is allowing me a good amount of "Free Rein".

A good comprimise might be to go with the Kioti package deal that includes a 30.5hp 4WD tractor, 4R's, FEL, Box Blade, Tiller, Mower, and trailer all for $17,200. Problem is, no dealer nearby, no HST. Those are pretty big sticking points for me at this point but, so is the price of the big three. Kubota has a decent finance program but NH's not as good unless you can pay it off within a year. It sounds like different NH dealers may have different terms, though.

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #27  
Kubota has a great finance program. They're really nice if you get a bit behind on payments, too (don't ask me how I know that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif). Mine's paid for now, but it was a great deal at the time - I think I was paying 3.99%, which is darn good.

But as far as what Richard was saying...I have no doubt that the "gray market" tractors can be a good deal. But I can tell you for sure that you'd have a tough time reselling one. I don't know of anyone that would buy one and I know quite a few "tractor people".

Oh, and I am a big fan of HST - especially in close quarters. I've seen people use clutches very well, but for most of us mere mortals HST is a great way to save yourself from doing something distructive - for example, you'll almost never find yourself rolling down a hill in neutral, hoping that you've locked your brakes....

That sounds like a pretty good price on that kioti with all those attachments.A tiller alone [name brand one],will cost you 1200 or$1500.Maybe,since there is no kioti dealer close that could do major repairs,the sevice part or attraction is'nt there now on that kioti.I bought mine off of northern tool.They have a store kind of close to where I live in southern w.va..I was able to drive one defore buying and including a year and a half parts and labor warrenty, it was under 8,000,25 h.p.,4wd.NOW the downside to this is I have to find a mechanic to do any major repairs that will have to be done in the future because I am not a 1st class mechanic or maybe even a 2nd class one,but I figured I could find one and do the miner stuff myself.There could be a store not to far from you.Lool on the chinese tractor oweners web site and on johns tractor site.I as of yet [I've only got about 35 hrs on it]can not vouch for this tractor as far as if I'm going to have any more trouble with it than a name brand,I could tell you this fall.Those yanmar reconditioned jap tractors[the same people who make some of the john deeres,or so Ihave been told] also have dealers who work on them and sell them,there is one close to charletsville,va.Like I said though, that deal on the kioti sounded fairly good I guess. RICHARD GAUTHIER

chrisj,just because your circle would'nt buy one means nothing at all to most people.Like Isaid my neighbor has been trying to tear up his yanmar for three years and hasn't yet. I don't have a yanmar.I will agree with you on one point,if you have 20 or 30 thousand dollars to spend to mow a couple of acres and till a living room sized garden than I would buy one of the big three and build it its own house. A lot of us don't and mine is paided for. RICHARD GAUTHIER

CHRIS BELL,I'm sorry but I couldn't resist,you mean to say that all you old time "tractor people" don't know how to use a clutch or a standard transmission? me o my. RICHARD GAUTHIER