Kubota L2900

/ Kubota L2900 #1  

MTUser

Bronze Member
Hello,

I am trying to buy my first tractor for my wife, and learn about them at the same time. She likes to take care of our property.

A 1994 Kubota L2900 is for sale locally, 4wd, with a LA480 loader and 1100 hours. I already found the info about using tractorhouse.com to get prices for retail. I see from looking at that site that around $14,000 looks to be the going rate.

Please can someone give a me a feel for the difference between wholesale and retail on tractors? Or, alternatively, what kind of discount you might expect from a private party?

Lastly, could someone give me an idea on how the retail tractor market works in terms of pricing? Are the prices posted by these retail establishments firm? Can I haggle? If I can pay cash, what kind of discount should I expect?

Any other pointers on purchasing appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Kubota L2900 #2  
It depends on a lot of things... very rarely are the prices really "firm". Private parties might be more desperate, again depends on your area, are there many tractors for sale in the area or is there much of a demand in the area? Likewise, some dealers "deal" and others don't... Not much of answer :p

Does the tractor look like it's well taken care of?

/ Kubota L2900 #3  
A 1994 Kubota L2900 is for sale locally, 4wd, with a LA480 loader and 1100 hours. I already found the info about using tractorhouse.com to get prices for retail. I see from looking at that site that around $14,000 looks to be the going rate.
Thanks.

I used to own one of those little workhorsesL2900,but IMHO that is way to much $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for that tractor($14,000).
My L3400DT cost $15,300 brand spanking new in 2007 out the door with FEL.

Boone

/ Kubota L2900
Snip.

Does the tractor look like it's well taken care of?

Yes, it does. Seems to start right up, and looks to be good condition. The owner has a brand new, bigger Kubota tractor, which I regard as a good sign.

I am not sure what to check for. Maybe there is a guide on "how to buy a used tractor" on this site that I have not found yet.

Thanks for the help.

/ Kubota L2900
I used to own one of those little workhorsesL2900,but IMHO that is way to much $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for that tractor($14,000).
My L3400DT cost $15,300 brand spanking new in 2007 out the door with FEL.

Boone

Thanks for the advice. How would I compare the features of L2900 and the L3400DT? I can see immediately that a 2007 tractor has to be better than one from 1994. Also, what is FEL? Is it something that only applies to tractors?

/ Kubota L2900 #6  
Thanks for the advice. How would I compare the features of L2900 and the L3400DT? I can see immediately that a 2007 tractor has to be better than one from 1994. Also, what is FEL? Is it something that only applies to tractors?

I had a L2900. That little tractor was practically indestructable.It worked 6 1/2 days a week in an nursury business I had with a partner.We sold it with almost 3,000 hrs on it.Always kick myself in rear end for not taking pics of it because most of the front end body parts were either missing or mangled.As were also no lights left on back,damage rear fenders etc.It had at least 3 different operators using it at any giving time in week.It (tractor)looked like it had been through WW3 and survived ! :D
The FEL stands for front end loader.
Some TBN member the other day posted a list of the abreviations when it comes to tractor lingo.
A newer tractor in year made does not mean its better(IMHO).
I just thought $14,000 was way too much for that.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/category/tipstricks/

Besides doing a TBN search here/Heres a good website for some info on BOTA'S ! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Kubota L2900 #7  
Agree, waaaay toooo muuuuch mooooney.!!!

/ Kubota L2900 #8  
About 4 years ago, I passed on a deal for an L2900 GST with loader, which had relatively low hours, and was in excellent condition. It was priced at $11,500.

My problem then wasn't with the deal. I just didn't have quite enough cash to swing it, and have anything left for emergencies. I agree with the others that $14,000 seems quite high for an L2900.

This year, my financial situation was better. I bought a bigger used JD with a backhoe.

/ Kubota L2900
Thank you for the explanation. That was dumb of me not to get FEL as I have been looking for tractors with at least that.

Could you explain what newer isn't better. Is it the hours? An older tractor with less hours is better than a new one with more.

Also, please would you provide your opinion on a fair price for the L2900 in my post?

Thanks.