Buying Advice Downsizing from Kioti CK20

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
I've had a CK20 hydro TLB for six years, and quite enjoyed using it. Had only planned to keep it about three years to do the landscaping, but it's just *so* handy to have around for any job that might come up.

However... I probably have no real need now for a BH, and would prefer a smaller machine both to regain garage space and to work in tighter areas. For example, if I could get something narrower than about 42" (wheels and blade), I'd be able to clear snow off a lot of areas that now require shovel or blower.

So I'm thinking of down-sizing to either a small skid-steer or subcompact tractor. The only skid loader I've seen around that size is the Bobcat S70, which is kind of expensive but very compact. People say not to buy a used one, as they're mainly used for demolition and pretty beat up by the time they're sold. I'd like to be able to lift at least 700~800 pounds in the loader, and push deep snow (bad drifts where I live).

Can anyone suggest some good choices? If I had to lose too much on the deal, I'd just keep the Kioti - at under 300 hrs, it's barely broken in, but probably only worth $12~13k. But something affordable and capable that's shorter, narrower and perhaps lighter would be more useful now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #2  
I've had a CK20 hydro TLB for six years, and quite enjoyed using it. Had only planned to keep it about three years to do the landscaping, but it's just *so* handy to have around for any job that might come up.

However... I probably have no real need now for a BH, and would prefer a smaller machine both to regain garage space and to work in tighter areas. For example, if I could get something narrower than about 42" (wheels and blade), I'd be able to clear snow off a lot of areas that now require shovel or blower.

So I'm thinking of down-sizing to either a small skid-steer or subcompact tractor. The only skid loader I've seen around that size is the Bobcat S70, which is kind of expensive but very compact. People say not to buy a used one, as they're mainly used for demolition and pretty beat up by the time they're sold. I'd like to be able to lift at least 700~800 pounds in the loader, and push deep snow (bad drifts where I live).

Can anyone suggest some good choices? If I had to lose too much on the deal, I'd just keep the Kioti - at under 300 hrs, it's barely broken in, but probably only worth $12~13k. But something affordable and capable that's shorter, narrower and perhaps lighter would be more useful now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Better keep what you have.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #3  
While I cannot comment on the subcut I have to say that i would keep what ya got. We have a S100 where i work that we use for snow removal and sweeping. It shines with a 60" broom on the front but the blade is nearly useless. overall if it was my money I wouldnt buy one. yea its better than a shovel but not worth the price tag IMHO.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #4  
cheydra,
I agree to keep what you have and would suggest a ballast box should be shorter than the backhoe when needed. I would rather add the cost of the ballast box than trade the equipment. That would be a few hundred bucks compared to thousands spent.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #5  
So, it seems you still need/want some kind of tractor but not the backhoe. Perhaps the solution is to sell the backhoe and as suggested by, Jenkinsph, is put a ballast box on the back. You should be able to put a bit of money into your back pocket as well. :)

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20
These are all helpful comments, and I'm much obliged for your thoughts. Keeping the CK20hst is certainly an option. Selling the BH would make sense, too. I just feel like it would be a bit wrong to separate them, where this tractor is so well designed for the BH, sturdy and easy-on/off.

Mainly, a slightly smaller machine would actually be more useful to me going forward. So I'm looking for suggestions for something perhaps in the 15-20HP range, a little lighter and smaller footprint. Since there aren't any dealers close by, and it's not easy to get prices by phone, comparison shopping with green, blue, the other orange or smaller brands has been slow. If people here can suggest a few good candidates, I'll make the trip to those dealers, and see what a new (or well-treated trade-in) tractor or skid-loader might cost vs. what I can get around here for the Kioti.

Thanks again!

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #7  
Have you considered the JD 1026R? Or a JD X748? Or the MF GC series? BX's?

You'll be given up some performance and your wallet will take a hit too. I'd keep the CK20, load the tires, and sell the backhoe. Take the money and get a snowblower for the CK20.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20
Thanks for all these tips, and various suggestions for alternatives. It's odd how some manufacturers make it hard to collect all the data, like length, width, weight, and loader lift capacity.

After a few calls to dealers, I'm convinced that there isn't a simple tractor-loader out there that will do what I want and not cost too much. So I guess I will stick with what I've got for now.

Next step: get some weight on the back. Rather not load the tires to keep total weight low when needed for going over planted areas. Since this

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/133155-cheapncheerful-rear-ballast.html

wasn't quite heavy enough, I'll look for a second-hand ballast box. Still wonder if it wouldn't be easy to hang a truck engine block or a stack of auto flywheels off the TPH...

Thanks again-

Chelydra

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #9  
Since a ballast box is cheap, compact, and has the hitch built in I wouldn't bother with an engine block or other junk on the rear. You can easily get more weight on the rear of the tractor than you need.

/ Downsizing from Kioti CK20 #10