Use Caution when selling tractors online!

/ Use Caution when selling tractors online! #11  
Maybe you should send him a "refund" using a bad cashiers check.

That thought crossed my mind, but that would put me in the same category as him---and being a US citizen--I would get nailed for it. (Our government system doesn't condone criminal activity.)

/ Use Caution when selling tractors online! #13  
I recently took a cashiers check to a branch of the issuing bank. To my surprise, you'd have thought I handed them a rattlesnake. Until then I hadn't known that scam artists were counterfeiting them.

I also found that the branch had difficulty authenticating the check. They called the issuing branch and had a problem determining and locating the employee who signed the check.

This was a check that to outward appearances looked good including watermarks, etc. Looking back, I suspect the fact that I wanted to exchange the cashiers check partly for cash and another cashiers check probably set off their "fraud" alarm.

For those that are asked to receive a wire, simply go to a bank, not your normal bank, open an account with the minimum required and provide that account info to the person sending the wire. Close the account immediately afterwards.

/ Use Caution when selling tractors online! #14  
Hey WB,

Thanks for the offer. However, I think the whole thing is a waste of time.
This person is actually asking for a wire transfer for the "balance". Hmmm, I wonder why a cashier's check was good enough for payment to me, but not good enough to send him his balance?