Tractor Sizing Tractor size and make up questions

/ Tractor size and make up questions #1  

granierimacpherson

Need some advice on tractor size. Recently bought 33 acres of which about 20 is pasture, some flat some hilly. Remainder is densely wooded Plan to cut fields, perhaps work toward growing hay. Some perimeters overgrown will require bush hog work and perhaps some stump removal Driveway is about 2000 ft and will need periodic regrading and occasional snow removal. Plan also to build some fencing to protect vegetable garden and prefer not to dig post holes manually

Thanks for any recommendations about size, make up and/or optimal implements and other questions I should be asking

/ Tractor size and make up questions #2  
I recommend kubota and 50 hp u can do near anything with this combination. Fel and mfwd are an even better combo.

/ Tractor size and make up questions #3  
You didn't mention a budget :D How much free time you have or are you in a rush to get things done? Open pasture without any low hanging trees? With regards to haying there are a few threads about that... that you should read.

/ Tractor size and make up questions
Thanks. Minimal overhanging trees. I work full-time so much of this farm work will occur on weekends so....want to be as quick as possible. And, like most, am not interested in paying top dollar.

/ Tractor size and make up questions #5  
Thanks. Minimal overhanging trees. I work full-time so much of this farm work will occur on weekends so....want to be as quick as possible. And, like most, am not interested in paying top dollar.

Tractor: speed=hp, so look for something like this:

45-60 hp pto, 4WD, power steering, shuttle shift gear tranny, FEL with 6-ft wide bucket. For example, my tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, gear tranny 8F/2R, triple hydraulic remote couplings) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach option, 3 chain hooks welded on bucket). Cost: about $19K new. Something like this would handle all your jobs with ease.

DSCF0061 (Small).JPGDSCF0062 (Small).JPGDSCF0066 (Small).JPGDSCF0067 (Small).JPGDSCF0110 (Small).JPG

The small tractor in the photos is my 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny) that I traded in as part of the 5525 deal.

Don't make the mistake of buying a tractor without the FEL. It's the single most useful implement on a tractor and generally is less expensive if bought with the tractor as part of the package.

Good luck

/ Tractor size and make up questions #6  
I am also a fan of the 50-60 HP models. I would look at the quick attach bucket system and also a 6 way bucket.

/ Tractor size and make up questions #7  
Need some advice on tractor size. Recently bought 33 acres of which about 20 is pasture, some flat some hilly. Remainder is densely wooded Plan to cut fields, perhaps work toward growing hay. Some perimeters overgrown will require bush hog work and perhaps some stump removal Driveway is about 2000 ft and will need periodic regrading and occasional snow removal. Plan also to build some fencing to protect vegetable garden and prefer not to dig post holes manually.

Thanks for any recommendations about size, make up and/or optimal implements and other questions I should be asking

What type of livestock will be on your pasture? Do you plan on growing hay to bale and feed? If so what type and size of bales?

/ Tractor size and make up questions #8  
We have 35 acres of basically the same type terrain you're talking about. We struggled along with a Ford 1710 4x4 with FEL(23 pto hp) for a few years. Then picked up a 2wd Ford 5600 to mow and post drive (12 foot batwing).

We just upgraded to a Workmaster 55 4wd (47.5 PTO HP) and are quite excited. Plowing, post removal, tree damage clean up, grading etc will be MUCH faster. A small tractor can do most things, but you pay with time.

/ Tractor size and make up questions #9  
Everyone here is right. When you work full time and try to manage acreage, you have to substitute money for time, so bigger is going to be better up to a point of course. I also agree that you are in the 50hp tractor category.

It really comes down to budget and tractors available in your area. For example, the Kioti DK55 is an excellent choice, especially with a cab. So it the DK50 HSE for example. The NH workmaster 55 is a good solid basic tractor.

The Kubota Grand L is a good tractor, so are the Massey 1600's and the Deere 4000's.

These are all compact's and you could easily go with a used full size utility as well. NH TN's are excellent and the list goes on. the Ford 3930 was a nice full size utility tractor that would work as well.

Tell us what you think you have to spend. There are lots of used tractors out there. I tend to favor cabs if you can because you have little time to work and anything to make it nicer can be worth it. For example, late season bushogging when the field is overgrown - the cab is nice because you don't get covered with dust, seed, pollen, or grasshoppers ( yup, gross - I hate the bugs all over me).

Last year I left 10 acres alone all year and bush hogged in september, I hit two hornets nest that were in the tall grass - cab saved my butt and I kept on mowing.

/ Tractor size and make up questions #10  
I highly recommend that you not wear makeup while operating your tractor. That will attract a highly unusual element of society.:)