Comparison Branson 00 or Kubota BX?

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #1  

Fermenter

Hi everyone, new member here. Been reading a lot of the excellent threads on this forum and thought I should make an honest man of myself and join up.

I recently bought my first (and probably last) home, on a shared bit of land here in rural Australia. About 6 neighbours all have about 3 acres each, and there is a fair bit of shared land that we all pitch in and take care of. There's a beaten up old tractor there that takes half a day to start, with a rear slasher that does most of the open spaces; a couple of the neighbours also have old ride-ons that are out of service 90% of the time. I currently have to mow my important bits by hand and let the rest of the grass go until someone fires up the slasher.

The terrain is pretty rough - ruts and hoofprints created in wet weather set like concrete in the dry, and sticks and spiky seeds are everywhere. There's not much to cut in the dry years but we're in a wet period now so what the kangaroos don't eat has to be cut before it becomes a fire hazard. I also plan to plant (and obviously water) fruit trees around my block, which will mean more grass to maintain, even if it is a bit rough.

I'm looking to buy something primarily to take care of my own bit as well as help out the neighbours by doing their 'fringes' (the bits near the houses between hand mowing and slashing). I will try to minimise the hand mowing around my own place but I'm pretty sure anything smaller than the above machines will struggle with the terrain and therefore be a waste of money. I also need to consider general landowner tasks like shifting firewood, digging trenches, ponds and post holes etc.

So anyway, with that all said, I'm looking at these two options. The pick of the Bransons would be the 2800h, and I don't save an awful lot by going to the lesser models. I have a contact that can look after me with Branson, but even so they won't be THAT much cheaper than the Kubota when I add all the same options - Branson 2800h with all the trimmings adding up to about 3/4 of the price of the BX25.

The main advantage of the Branson is that I can buy it piecemeal, starting with just the tractor and MMM and adding a FEL and BH later. I have no doubt the Kubota is a better machine but I have to find a whole lot of cash in one hit to get the BX25. The Branson also has taller wheels and better clearance, which is probably a good thing. Most of the other dimensions look similar. I haven't really analysed any other specs as I don't know enough to make meaningful comparisons, but I'm sure that both machines would perform my tasks admirably.

The BX2360, with FEL and MMM added, would cost about the same as the Branson with FEL, MMM and BH, but of course I cannot add a BH to the BXs, and I think a BH would be a really handy thing to have around the place.

I guess I just want to hear some other thoughts on the subject, the merit of passing up a BH to get the Kubota brand instead, am I on the right track if I go with the Branson, have I missed something, that sort of thing. Appreciate any comments.

Also, cheers to the forum admin and past posters that have created a great resource here, I have read A LOT of threads and learnt plenty from them!

Last edited:
   / Branson 00 or Kubota BX?
Sorry to follow up my own post, but I've also just found a used 2005 B3030, 1600 hrs, GC with MMM (not sure what size) for less than the cost of the Branson & MMM combination.

The B3030 can take a BH right? I'm guessing that each step up in size makes the thing less nimble as a mower, but the Branson is a bit larger (well, taller) than the BXs anyway...

I'll do some more research into the model tomorrow when I'm back in the office, just thought I should tack it on as another option...

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #3  
If the B3030 is in good shape I think I would go with it of the choices so far. It would be more capable with a brush mower for sure, have better ground clearance and is still small enough to get in most places in your yard.

A good pushmower and a larger tractor with the mmm has more capabilities in the future than getting a subcompact imo.

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #4  
The terrain is pretty rough - ruts and hoofprints created in wet weather set like concrete in the dry, and sticks and spiky seeds are everywhere. There's not much to cut in the dry years but we're in a wet period now so what the kangaroos don't eat has to be cut before it becomes a fire hazard. I also plan to plant (and obviously water) fruit trees around my block, which will mean more grass to maintain, even if it is a bit rough.
It sounds like the extra ground clearence of the B3030 would be beneficial based on your description of the terrain and the extra PTO power would come in handy if you ever bought a brush mower or rototiller down the line. It will take a BH and ofcourse if it doesn't have the loader currently, you'd have to get that the same time you bought the BH. (unless you want to risk riding wheelies everywhere) :)

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #5  
Your comment about rough terrain raised my eyebrows regarding the BX. It's a great little machine... I have one... but it's really out of its element on rugged ground due to the small tires and low clearance. Don't know about the Branson's, but the B3030 is a very capable machine, probably just the right size for your situation. The 3030 is at the top of the Kubota model sequence for the B series tractors. If this one doesn't work out, you might keep you eye open for other B models.

The factory backhoe for a B3030, in the US at least, is a BH76. There are also other manufacturers of backhoes. US brands include: Bush Hog, Woods, Bradco. Of course you may have other choices in Oz.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

I suspect a BX-sized machine would cope OK, I may have overbaked my description of the terrain. Around the house it's not too bad (although it's no golf course either). Of course the plan is to try and keep it neat and fill any holes etc. Further out the ground is such that you can twist your ankle in the long grass by inadvertently stepping in a hoofprint or a rabbithole or on a fallen branch, but there are no big ridges or ditches to speak of. In any case, out there that should really be the slasher's domain.

A decent ride-on is probably all I need for my own mowing but the neighbours tend to overburden theirs on the shared land, and decent ride-ons are pricey enough, which is why I feel I should put the money towards something a llittle beefier and more useful - hence the BX. If I go too much bigger I'll end up leaving a lot of push mowing to be done near the house. The little Bransons share the same dimensions as a BX but are a bit higher off the ground. Anything larger than that is probably getting too big.

So I've ruled out the B3030, I've since established that the MMM is 72" and in poor condition anyway. Based on my finest guesswork, I reckon that a 50" mower deck is probably about right for me - I can plan the 'garden' area with walking access between obstacles and get the mower down there, without having to make everything too open. I understand the Branson MMM is 60", so I would probably look for a smaller 3rd party one. Of course, the BX has a 54" MMM available which I'm sure I can live with.

So it does seem to come down to the BX or 00 series. I will keep an eye open for a used BX23/24/25 but the used market here in Aus is tight and good machines rarely come up. For that reason a good deal on a new Branson may be difficult to pass up.

Obviously I'd still appreciate any comments supporting or challenging my ideas, this is very much uncharted territory for me!

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #7  
If you check out something like a B2320, you'll find it's very similar in size to the BX, but with larger wheels and more ground clearance. I think it has the same engine, although a 3 range HST vs. 2 ranges on the BX. Probably a closer match to the Branson you've considered than the BX. Don't know about prices where you are, but in the States, they are close in price to the BX.

Best of luck shopping, regardless of what you choose. Your basic plan seems sound to me.

/ Branson 00 or Kubota BX? #8  
I'll give you a challenge or something to consider.:laughing:

I am in the landscape business and do alot of ground contouring, smoothing and shaping. I have several tractors over a variety of sizes to use so feel I have a good idea of what each size can accomplish. I can call in larger equipment when needed and have had large equipment in the past.

I am curious why you think a B3030 is to large? I think if you need to do any work smoothing or tilling and making general groundwork improvements that it would be the bare minimum size to have. For instance a B3030 can accomplish alot more work with a boxblade than a BX sized machine by a wide margin. A better use for a BX sized machine would be to maintain the grounds after the improvements have been made.

Lawn work can be made easy to do or left alone can be a chore everytime you need to mow. The sooner you can get the place in good shape the less time it will take to maintain it. I see lots of people with small lawns that are very rough causing them to need to use a string trimmer to cut the weeds and what little grass they have. But to the point I am trying to make, you need to have equipment to make the needed improvements to make maintaining the lawn and subsequent field and acreage easier to handle. A good used 30hp tractor could do wonders to make the rough ground into a smooth grass covered lawn or field (pasture). I should also assert that good grass is easier to maintain and a lot less trouble than weeds.

You Americans and your multiple tractors! :laughing:

Seriously, one small tractor is already more than I can afford. What I really need is a good ride-on mower, but machines are hideously expensive here and I'd rather put all that money into something more versatile. I simply can't plan on having more than one machine, so it will need to mow around the house primarily and any additional talents are a bonus.

There are the usual obstacles to deal with - trees, barbecue areas, raised veggie beds, that sort of thing, and I don't intend to pave, so it will all require mowing. Some things can be relocated to enable the machine to get around, but there is obviously a limit. If it can't mow in and around the main part of the garden, then I'm really losing sight of my prime objective.

I don't really want to make a bunch of improvements to the land - I quite like it the way it is, as long as I can keep it tidy. Besides, our soil is poor and the topsoil is thin. Any disturbance means a scar that never heals, unless new topsoil or turf is added (at great expense out here). A thin layer of grass on an uneven block is a pretty good result for the money.

Obviously there will always be tweaks here and there, and jobs like planting trees, laying a pipe, moving firewood around etc will all make sure that any additional capability will be well used, but if I can mow the grass, move a bit of dirt around and dig the odd hole then life will be good.

Hi, just thought I'd post a follow-up and let you know which way I went.

Everybody's comments (particularly Grandad4's) did help to shape my thinking, and I ended up finding a tidy used Kubota B1700 4WD HST. 2000ish model, 700 hrs, 60" MMM and FEL.

Very glad I went for the better clearance over a BX, as it does make the machine far more capable when the ground gets bumpier. I can honestly say that the unmown rings around the trees in the garden would have been no smaller with a BX or even a ride-on mower. I was really surprised. Unless you are removing the lower branches so you can ride under them right up to the trunk, the advantage of being lower and closer is negated by having a narrower deck. There are one or two trees that are a bit too close together and a ride-on might have been able to get between them, but we're talking 10 seconds more of push mowing and otherwise I reckon the B1700 (Bxx20 equivalent) gets everywhere a BX or large ride-on mower would get, plus I can take the mower off and wander into the woods a bit if I want.

I'm thrilled with it. Thanks again everyone.

b1700.jpg

Last edited: