Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I am somewhat close to pulling the trigger on a Kubota M7040. Given I have a Kubota now, I'm very comfortable with the brand.

I happened upon some posts in the forum on NH 4030s and have decided that it is worth checking them out before I make a final call. The main thing that sent me down this path is realizing that the cab height is only 91.4" on the NH but 101 on the Kubota. I have a pole barn that I clean out once a year which is 100 inches where the Kubota will not fit but the NH will. I can clean it out with my MF 255 but this was just an interesting point.

A number of folks here have a M7040. Not sure how many have a NH 4030. If you have tried both these models or have any suggestions on what I should be comparing between them, please let me know. Particularly interested on thoughts on the NH as I really don't know much about it. I plan on visiting a dealer on Saturday to give it a whirl.

Should I expect equal quality, reliability from both? Where is the NH made?

I would be getting the hydraulic shuttle on either.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #2  
I am somewhat close to pulling the trigger on a Kubota M7040. Given I have a Kubota now, I'm very comfortable with the brand.

I happened upon some posts in the forum on NH 4030s and have decided that it is worth checking them out before I make a final call. The main thing that sent me down this path is realizing that the cab height is only 91.4" on the NH but 101 on the Kubota. I have a pole barn that I clean out once a year which is 100 inches where the Kubota will not fit but the NH will. I can clean it out with my MF 255 but this was just an interesting point.

A number of folks here have a M7040. Not sure how many have a NH 4030. If you have tried both these models or have any suggestions on what I should be comparing between them, please let me know. Particularly interested on thoughts on the NH as I really don't know much about it. I plan on visiting a dealer on Saturday to give it a whirl.

Should I expect equal quality, reliability from both? Where is the NH made?

I would be getting the hydraulic shuttle on either.

I can only speak for the M-7040. Kubota offers excellent financing options. (I actually bought mine used at a Deere dealership). I like the tractors' reliability and ease of service. It's well laid out and gets great traction in the field.
What I don't like is the lights on the cab are easy to tear off in the brush (I suspect that might be true for other brands). The Kubota orange plastic fades in the sun. The loader hydraulics aren't particularly strong, but maybe I'm expecting too much since I own a full size backhoe. 3pt hydraulics seem very strong though. Overall, I'd give it an 8.5 of 10.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #3  
Here's the TractorData page on the T4030:
TractorData.com New Holland T4030 tractor information

The T40xx series is just the updated TNxxA. If you'll compare this TN75A, you'll see that the specs are close.
TractorData.com New Holland TN75A tractor information

You can see a comparison of the Kubota and NH here:
TractorData.com - Tractor Compare

I was at the same point as you, three years ago. I bought the NH. The NH was heavier, had higher lift capacity, and was a better price. Since buying the NH, I've had a chance to work it along side a couple of Kubotas. The operating weight comes into play when using the loader. My open staion TN70A will handle a 5x6' roll of hay. My cousin's M9540 cab tractor has to have water in the rear tires to pick up the same bale of hay.

As far as quality goes, either tractor should be fine. Both are good products.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #4  
If you are considering other than Kubota, then you owe it to yourself to at least look at any and all brands within whatever your comfortable dealer radius may be. (how far are you willing to drive) There are many very good tractors out there that you could own and be very happy with.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030
I'm a little bit afraid to open this can of worms but I won't get to do it for a LONG time once the decision is made.

I got interested in NH because I saw the cab height and I've always liked the look of them aesthetically.

You are right - I really do have to go and try to look at all the brands. Wrt. dealers around here JD, Kubota and NH have dealers around. NH has more than I thought they did as some local guys here pointed out. MF has one good dealer that I am aware of but I am sure there are others as well.

Any particular models you believe I should be comparing?

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #6  
No, models in mind, just that All the manufacturers have pretty good tractors these days. But each machine sets a little different, has different ergonomics and when a person is on a tractor for hours and hours it can make a huge difference with how comfortable you are for all the time spent in the seat. What is great for me or someone else may not be quite so good for you. We all like things just a little different than the next guy. My point being while you are looking, why not look at EVERYTHING that is available. You may like the Kubota, but who other than yourself can say that a different brand would not be better for you.

The only thing that I can say is that if you are the type of person that makes your living with the tractor or depends on the dealer for a big percentage of tractor maintenance then the dealer can be more important than the tractor itself. But other than that I would put my comfort with the tractor among the highest priorities.

Just my :2cents:

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #7  
Here's the TractorData page on the T4030:
TractorData.com New Holland T4030 tractor information

The T40xx series is just the updated TNxxA. If you'll compare this TN75A, you'll see that the specs are close.
TractorData.com New Holland TN75A tractor information

You can see a comparison of the Kubota and NH here:
TractorData.com - Tractor Compare

I was at the same point as you, three years ago. I bought the NH. The NH was heavier, had higher lift capacity, and was a better price. Since buying the NH, I've had a chance to work it along side a couple of Kubotas. The operating weight comes into play when using the loader. My open staion TN70A will handle a 5x6' roll of hay. My cousin's M9540 cab tractor has to have water in the rear tires to pick up the same bale of hay.

As far as quality goes, either tractor should be fine. Both are good products.

Something sounds fishy about your cousin's M9540 needing water to lift a 5x6 bale. I have handled hundreds of 5x5-1/2 and 5x6 bales this summer with a little M5040 open station, empty rear tires and only a light implement on the rear at times. Have loaded and unloaded several semi loads double stacked. Haven't had the first issue with handling or lift capacity.

Maybe your cousin should have his machine checked out?

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #8  
same here as we have used the MX5100 HST to move an load 5 by 6 bales on the hay hauler.only keeping a bale on the rear of the tractor.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #10  
If you're looking at others and need to be under 100" or so, you do get limited as you get to larger tractors. There are "chore" tractors and there are field tractors in this size range. The chore tractors are lower, have smaller diameter tires, usually narrow enough cab you can see the tread of the rear tires and often don't have a flat floor.

In NH, the TN or whatever they call them know and the matching Case /IH version are like this, you have a slight transmission hump in the floor and a low cab position to get in sheds to clean out. NH also sell similar hp series with flat floor and over 100" cab.

Check out the local dealers. I know in MF in my favorite, the 5400 series, you'd have to go with the low profile cab and short tires to get in your shed or get an open station version. You could go 3000 series but I don't know much about them.

JD, not sure, more guys who have barns to clean here buy a 6000 series open station JD and fold the rops down. Even a 5000 series might hit its head.

Landini/Mccormick and Deutz-Fahr both sell low profile models too, dealers fewer an farther between though.