Buying Advice Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less?

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #1  

MichSnowBlower

Hi!
Thank you all for your many informative posts!

Until now, I have been a lurker and have learned a great deal from your posts. Thank you! :)

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me. :)

I am now ready to buy my first (and only) tractor and need your wisdom and help.

Tasks:
1. 90%: Snowblowing 300 foot blacktop driveway with maxium grade of 7.5% (4.3 degrees). Northern Michigan, lots of very light, powdery snow.
2. 10%: Rare, light FEL work - moving woodchips, a little top soil, a few small logs across front forks
3. No mowing

Decided for Sure:
1. 4wd
2. Front snowblower
3. Hard cab with heater
4. FEL (based on "you won't believe how much you will use it" comments here. Thanks guys!

Discussion:
I have studied your informative posts carefully and have read consistenly that if I am only blowing (which I am) and/or mowing (which I'm not), the John Deere X748/X749 may be the tractor of choice, and I agree with this.

I fully understand that the X748/749 is a premium garden tractor, not a SCUT, but that it is probably the best tractor for my tasks and I was therefore leaning that way.

However, I got a quote from the Kubota dealer for a comparably equipped BX2360 (front blower, FEL, Curtis hard cab) and it is $ 3K less than the X748.

As far as I can tell, some of the cost differential is that the Kubota dealer did not charge for installation of the Curtis hard cab, while the Deere dealer is charging $ 1,350 for installation of the factory cab and setup plus $ 450 for a 40 amp alternator for the heater, as well as the other odds and ends necessary for a front blower and FEL.

While I want the best tractor for the job, and if they were both the same price, I would probably go with the X748, with as much money as this is costing, for $ 3K less, I am thinking that I could be plenty/equally happy, although in a slightly different way with the BX2360 - it wouldn't be as "cushy" but it will be more of a "tractor". I will be blowing snow in a hard, heated cab. What could be bad about that? :)

I was also considering the X728 because I am on the fence between gas and diesel for my tasks, but the X728 is still $ 2K more than the BX2360.

While I understand that a great price on the wrong tractor is no bargain, I can't identify anything specifically on the X728/748 that is really worth $ 2K - $ 3K more over the BX2360.

Questions:

1. For my tasks, is there anything about the X728/748 that is really worth $ 2K - $ 3K more than a comparably equiiped BX2360? If so, what?

2. Which one should I go with and why?

Thank you again for everything I have learned from your past posts and thank you in advance for any help that you can provide on my decision.

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #2  
even if the Kubota was 3K more I'd go that way. The fact that it's les is a no brainer. You'll get a more capable machine that will accept additional attachments. You'll be suprised what needs you'll find ina few years. The SCUT will depreciate much less than a garden tractor. That's my 0.02. Take it for what you paid for it

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #3  
I agree with 75. Getting more tractor for less money is a good thing! And, I'd make a bet right now that once you start using the loader you'll find many more "projects" to do with it.
The X series JD's are good machines, but if you're not mowing I would put them well behind the SCUT for what you're going to be doing.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #4  
I agree with everyone here, the Kubota is the way to go. However, if you want a John Deere tractor, why don't you look at the new John Deere 1026R subcompact? My friend just traded his John Deere X520 for the 1026R w/FEL and really loves that thing. Plus I would go with a diesel engine over a gas engine for longevity and torque.

Last edited:
   / Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #5  
For the difference in money I would go with the Kubota and I have an x749:confused:

A couple of things I checked before posting on this thread, first the difference in msrp price Kubota BX2360 $11,800 and the Deere x748 $12,449. The 40 amp alternator is standard equipment on the x748 not an optional $450. FWIW, last November when I purchased the x749 I received a 15% discount on the mower and addons inculding implements. Sounds like the dealer isn't cutting you any slack, I would visit another dealer or buy the Kubota and show it to the Deere salesman.

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less?
WOW! Thanks guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it! Anyone else, please chime in.

I was having a hard time justifying $ 3K more for the X748 but I was worried that maybe I was missing something. I am guessing that a big part of the equation here is that I don't have any mowing.

Eagle, I did not consider the 1026R because 1. this will be my tractor-for-life so I want a model with a track record 2. There is no cab available yet, which I definitely want, and I didn't want to be worrying about when or even "if".

Steve, thanks for research on this and good save! The dealer quoted me a X728 (which has a 20 amp alternator) and said that the upgrade to the diesel (X748) would be about $ 1K.

Lost in the shuffle, until you caught it, was the fact that the X748 already has the 40 amp alternator, so that should have been backed out of the extras on the X748, bringing the differene down to $ 2,500.

It looks like he gave me about a 10% discount, but I think that a big driver of the price difference was his $1,350 to install the factory cab, where the Kubota dealer did not charge for cab installation, plus adding attachements like the FEL to the X748 quickly gets expensive, as has been pointed out elsewhere, plus he missed the deduct for the 40 amp alternator that is already on the X748.

In any case, I'm thinking that I get to keep a lot of cash in my pocket by not paying for an ultimate mowing machine that I don't need since I don't have any mowing, have an equally good snowblowing rig, and have more of a tractor for other stuff down the road, should I ever need it.

The only thing that I'm wonderig about a little is the maneuverability of the BX2360 versus the X748 -turning radius of 7.5 feet versus 2 feet. But I'm guessing that's not a $ 2,500 thing (after adjusting for the alternator) for blowing a 300 foot driveway, right?

Thanks again for your great input!

This is my tractor-for-life, so any others, please feel free to chime in!

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #7  
I love both units. In many ways, best in class for both. Still, for the money, go BX. As fellow dweller far up the Mitten, I gotta ask. Who are you getting prices from? If you're uncomfortable naming the dealer(s), drop me a private message and we can talk. I found a rather significant price difference in dealing with a few of the Kubota dealers up here.

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #8  
I'm a big fan of the x series deeres. but, if you aren't mowing the BX is the better choice, even for the same money. Get the tires loaded, and add chains and you'll be all set.

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #9  
Mich:

I have a Curtis cab on a Kubota L4310HST. I beats being out in the cold. Ours has hot water off engine. And no problem with branches falling on a steel roof.

But you may be comparing apples & oranges.

Deere factory cab will be quiet with heat and lights already mounted. Probably also includes a comfortable fabric seat.

I mounted 2 front & 1 rear lights and interior fan - it's needed to address fogging. Get the Curtis fues box. Curtis wipe is kinda small.

Before you choose, see a custis cab application, price all accessories, then price Kubota factory cab.

/ Tractor for Front Snowblower: John Deere X748 or Kubota BX2360 for $3K Less? #10  
1*I was having a hard time justifying $ 3K more for the X748 .
2* I was worried that maybe I was missing something.
I did not consider the 1026R because
3* 1. this will be my tractor-for-life so I want a model with a track record
4*Lost in the shuffle, until you caught it, was the fact that the X748 already has the 40 amp alternator, so that should have been backed out of the extras on the X748, bringing the differene down to $ 2,500.
5*FEL for the X748 quickly gets expensive.
In any case, I'm thinking that I get to keep a lot of cash in my pocket by not paying for an
6*ultimate mowing machine that I don't need since I don't have any mowing,
have an equally good snowblowing rig,
7*and have more of a tractor for other stuff down the road, should I ever need it.
8*The only thing that I'm wonderig about a little is the maneuverability of the BX2360 versus the X748 -turning radius of 7.5 feet versus 2 feet.
9*But I'm guessing that's not a $ 2,500 thing right?
10*This is my tractor-for-life, so any others, please feel free to chime in!
1* It's not justified .
In fact IMHO the x748 should be $3000 less than the BX.
2*The only way you would be missing something is if you went with the x748.
3*The BXs have established an excellent track record for many years.
4*Still too much higher.
5*The FEL is much stronger and more capeable on a BX.
6*The BX is still the better deal even if you were mowing.
7*If you get the X748 and want to up grade in the future that's always an expensive move so why not get the BX now save money and be done with it? ? ?
8*I have 3 BXs and I can't see that as an issue .
They are very nimble and Maneuverable .
9*Right
10*Then go with a BX .

11*I'm a big fan of the x series deeres. but, if you aren't mowing the BX is the better choice, even for the same money.
12*Get the tires loaded, and add chains and you'll be all set.
11*I'd go one step further and say his best choice would be the BX even if the BX cost more .
I bought these 2 BXs for $15600 .
Well worth 1600 bucks more than just 1 x748 or 1 x749 would have cost me.

12* I don't have chains or loaded tires as in my case they aren't need.

13*-even if the Kubota was 3K more I'd go that way.
The fact that it's les is a no brainer.
14*You'll get a more capable machine that will accept additional attachments.
15*You'll be suprised what needs you'll find in a few years.
16*The SCUT will depreciate much less than a garden tractor. That's my 0.02. Take it for what you paid for it
13*It certainly is a no brainer.
There is nothing for him to think about.
14*Yes indeed.
15*If he finds this out after buying an x748 it's gonna hurt finacially to up grade.
Get off on the right foot with the BX.
16*A garden tractor is a garden tractor no matter how fancy.
17*I am now ready to buy my first (and only) tractor and need your wisdom and help.
18* FEL (based on "you won't believe how much you will use it" comments here.
I fully understand that the X748/749 is a premium garden tractor, not a SCUT,
19*but that it is probably the best tractor for my tasks .
20*However, I got a quote from the Kubota dealer for a comparably equipped BX2360 (front blower, FEL, Curtis hard cab) and it is $ 3K less than the X748.
21*While I want the best tractor for the job, and if they were both the same price, I would probably go with the X748, with as much money as this is costing, for $ 3K less,
22*I am thinking that I could be plenty/equally happy, although in a slightly different way with the BX2360 - it wouldn't be as "cushy"
23*I was also considering the X728 because I am on the fence between gas and diesel for my tasks, but the X728 is still $ 2K more than the BX2360.
24*While I understand that a great price on the wrong tractor is no bargain,
25*I can't identify anything specifically on the X728/748 that is really worth $ 2K - $ 3K more over the BX2360.
26* For my tasks, is there anything about the X728/748 that is really worth $ 2K - $ 3K more than a comparably equiiped BX2360? If so, what?
27* Which one should I go with and why?
17*I made the dumb mistake of buying a garden tractor when I shoulda got a S-compact.
2 years later I bought a BX but I lost $1052 on the sale of the Garden Tractor.
Should have bought bought the BX in the first place.
I would have saved my self $1052 and had the BX to enjoy for an extra 2 years.
18*The Fel on theX748 is a very limited compared to A BX FEL .
19*I don't think so.
20*IF it was me I'd jump on the BX.
21*I think That would be a mistake.
I finally decied after 41 {1966 to 2007}years of owining garden tractors it was way past time to get away from them and get a real tractor.
22*"Cushy" hain't every thing and I hain't so sure an x748 is all that more Cushy.
23*I got away from gasoline tractors in 2007.
All 3 of mine are diesels.
I had to fill the gas tank at least once every time I mowed with the gas tractor .
With the Diesel I can mow 2 to 4 times before refilling the BX.
Gas engines are terribly hard on fuel .
24*That's why i would go with the BX Right tractor right price.
25*Neither can i.
To me they are simply over priced for what they are.
26*No in fact that is my pet peve with tha X 7xx units.
27*I think I have pretty well covered this in my postings.

I agree with 75. Getting more tractor for less money is a good thing!
28*I'd make a bet right now that once you start using the loader you'll find many more "projects" to do with it.
The X series JD's are good machines, but if you're not mowing
29*I would put them well behind the SCUT for what you're going to be doing.
28*Yeah and projects that the x748 couldn't handle.
29*Yep the BX is in a class that is well above a X748.

30*For the difference in money I would go with the Kubota and I have an x749:confused:
30 I agree.