Comparison Massey Ferguson or Mahindra?

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey Ya'll,

I might be buying a new tractor soon and I'm kinda having a tough time deciding between Massey Ferguson and Mahindra. I curently own a '98 MF 231 and love it. I owned a '97 Mahindra 485 DI in the past, and miss it.

Both brands are really good quality, from my experience.

Currently looking at the Massey Ferguson 2615 4WD w/ FEL, Mahindra 4530 w/ FEL, or the Mahindra 5035 w/ FEL. Whatever I buy will have the R1 AG tires.

I'm not looking at any other tractor brands.

Thanks for any advice, facts, and opinions ya'll may have for me.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #2  
I don't know about the Massey but I just bought a 4035 and love it. I'm coming from an old standard shift but the Mahindra 35 series is a great machine. The wife and kids went to visit reletives this weekend and I got some quality seat time. Built a motocross jump for the kids. Put on the grapple and cleared some brush, mowed the neighbor ladys field she's been bugging me about, and today, put the winch on and cut some firewood. Not one thing I can complain about so far. This might have been the case with another tractor too but I'm just saying I like the Mahindra 35's.
Dan.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #3  
I have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL. Nice, heavy, simple 2WD tractor with gear tranny (8F/2R), 54 hp engine, 45 hp pto. Does what I need it to do. No problems at all.

Can't help you on MFs--my MF is a 1964 MF135 diesel- a little bit too vintage for your needs.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #4  
Hey Ya'll,

I might be buying a new tractor soon and I'm kinda having a tough time deciding between Massey Ferguson and Mahindra. I curently own a '98 MF 231 and love it. I owned a '97 Mahindra 485 DI in the past, and miss it.

Both brands are really good quality, from my experience.

Currently looking at the Massey Ferguson 2615 4WD w/ FEL, Mahindra 4530 w/ FEL, or the Mahindra 5035 w/ FEL. Whatever I buy will have the R1 AG tires.

I'm not looking at any other tractor brands.

Thanks for any advice, facts, and opinions ya'll may have for me.

It depends on what you want to do with the tractor. The Massey has 4 more HP, but the Mahindra is 900 lbs heavier and has about 800 lbs more 3 PH lift capacity. Asuming you are comparing the Massey optional 8x8 transmission, that is comparable, but the pto engagement is electric over hydraulic clutch, the Mahindra hand clutch would have a more controled engagement, and no possibility of an electrical problem there. The Massey has 3 hydraulic pumps, but I bet the 3 ph pump is encased in the transmission housing, which is a big deal if the pump ever has a problem. I am sure they are both good tractors, but these are a few Mahindra advantages I noticed.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #5  
Unfortunately I cannot make a fair comment about the Massey, :eek: but the 5035 is a very nice tractor, especially with the 3 trans options and would most likely be the one for me. The only thing that I do not care for about the 5035 is that there are only 2 factory rear remotes available and I think that they really need to start offering 3-4 remotes since there are so many implements with hydraulics now days. ;)

Good luck with your decision.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #6  
Normally I would always say Massey. Both of these tractors are made in India, however you have the advantage of a more reputable company behind it with Massey. I'm not a fan of Indian made products nor Indian companies because I've been to India quite a few times. If you've ever been there you'll know what I mean.

/ Massey Ferguson or Mahindra? #7  
I have the Mahindra 4510 and there have been quite a few times where it has been overworked and it never failed to deliver, the time my dozer battery was "borrowed" in the middle of the night and I had 23 loads of frozen fill to move comes to mind, build quality has been good and in 500 hours there have only been 2 hoses that have broke and normal maintenance. The value of extra weight and lifting capacity should never be overlooked.