Need advice on new compact

/ Need advice on new compact #1  

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I have 35 acres, 33 is wooded. Mostly uneven and rocky. Currently mow the 2 acres of grass with a JD x300 but it's very hard on the riding mower. I want to convert another acre or two to grass. Most of my tractor work will be in the woods making paths, deer plots, moving downed trees, also maintaining a 1000 ft gravel driveway. I will need to mow the grass as well (not finish mow just keep it down). Definitely need a front loader and a small bush hog, later on possibly a grader box and back hoe.
Would like to stay under 20k for initial purchase.
Kubota or JD? What size? Tire style? Fluid fill? Weights? Have scoured the forums here but want updated opinions since many threads are 5 or more years old.

/ Need advice on new compact #2  
I have 35 acres, 33 is wooded. Mostly uneven and rocky. Currently mow the 2 acres of grass with a JD x300 but it's very hard on the riding mower. I want to convert another acre or two to grass. Most of my tractor work will be in the woods making paths, deer plots, moving downed trees, also maintaining a 1000 ft gravel driveway. I will need to mow the grass as well (not finish mow just keep it down). Definitely need a front loader and a small bush hog, later on possibly a grader box and back hoe.
Kubota or JD? What size? Tire style? Fluid fill? Weights? Have scoured the forums here but want updated opinions since many threads are 5 or more years old.

Depends on the size of implements you wish to run. 30+ HP will get you in to a five foot brush hog size and a 72" RFM. Also a good size for loader work. I wouldn't even consider using a tractor with out the tires filled. Can't go wrong with either John Deere or Kubota. Test drive will determine your choice. Tire style? The debate is endless. I prefer R4's. For extra weight I prefer a ballast box. Weight on when I need it and weight off when I don't.

/ Need advice on new compact #3  
Bill, bigger is sometimes not always better. I have had a number of tractors over the years, an some times two are better than one. I run a 18 hp diesel now, it's narrow width allows me to get through the woods nicely. I mow about 5-6 ac with a 5ft RMF, and it handles a 5 ft BH without a problem. I have skidded 28 inch X 40 ft doug fir logs out with it, but used cable, and blocks to do it. On my property 4wd is a must. It takes a larger tractor than mine to run a backhoe, and I need one so little that I would rather rent one with operator, as they are so much faster than me, and even if I needed one once a year for a day it think it would be cheaper than owning one. I have the lugged tires, and the lawn seems to have no problem with them when mowing. The $1500 cost to replace is something in the future, when my tires are getting thin. As for the Beet juice in the tires, does not cost to much, as my rears only cost about a 100 bucks for the pair. I just wanted it for more traction, as the loader is going on this winter.

Sounds like a used CUT to maintain the lawn area, and a good used something larger for other things. Should be able to get that done for WAY under your the bucks you want to spend.

/ Need advice on new compact #4  
Sounds like a Kubota B series or Deere 2520 to 2720 would work for you. I would make sure you are comfortable with the operator station you choose as all of these are good tractors. I would go with a rear weight box and R4 tires so that you can drop the weight when mowing. On the Deere models I would get the 200CX quicik attach fel.

If you wan't to go used I would look for a good similar sized tractor to the above. IMO since most of the work is in the woods this is a good choice as it is very difficult not to get a few scratches and dents doing this kind of work.

Off topic a little but while you are shopping for a new tractor consider getting a Florian pole saw to trim branches overhead. I keep these handy whenever working on dense lots as they are very helpful in clearing trails through the woods. I use the 6 to 12' telescopic pole and saw not the ratchet cutter. Mini Pole Pruner System 6' -12' - - Florian Tools

/ Need advice on new compact #5  

Find an "off brand" South Korean, Indian or Chinese tractor manufacturer that contract builds for the "Big Two" (3 or 4, I lost count).
Figure which of their 35 or so HP tractors is same/similar enough, get that for 25% or so less than the "emblem engineered for US export" model.
Get it with manual trans if you want to save even more, assuming you can use a clutch "responsibly" (-:
Be sure to get it with Skid Steer compatible loader, DO load the rear tires, DO get R4s for loader work.
Know that parts will be around via the importer/re-badger company,,, for however long they last in their new found non-manufacturing biz.
You will still pay a PREMIUM price for parts via the re-badging company's franchises, but that would have been the case if you had bought their (premium paint & badge) version anyway.
There is always a chance that the same tractor will pop up (yet again) under a new importer's name.

/ Need advice on new compact
Sounds like a Kubota B series or Deere 2520 to 2720 would work for you. ...

If you wan't to go used I would look for a good similar sized tractor to the above. IMO since most of the work is in the woods this is a good choice as it is very difficult not to get a few scratches and dents doing this kind of work.
Good point. I will scratch it up. The thing that worries me about used is that so many people abuse and overwork these little tractors. Search for any model compact on Youtube and you'll find videos of people basically trying to tear them up. Unlike a used car that I could take to my local mechanic for inspection, I don't know how to get one reliably checked out. I've got too many projects already, I definitely don't want to spend my weekends working on a tractor.