Buying Advice Getting to Yes

/ Getting to Yes #1  

Dr_Zinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
You know what you want.

You have the first quote from the dealer.

So what did you do next to wiggle him down some, or get something more for the same price?

/ Getting to Yes #2  
Depends. Was it the right price the first time around? Did you talk the salesperson out of a free hat yet?

/ Getting to Yes #3  
You know what you want.

You have the first quote from the dealer.

So what did you do next to wiggle him down some, or get something more for the same price?

Best way to do this is to know what you'd like to pay. Most of these tractors have a 25% mark up give or take from invoice as the retail price. Also the right tractor can last a life time. At some point it becomes a value judgement. If the tractor retails for $25 K and cost the dealer 20K, how much profit are you willing to afford the dealer? That will be your willing to pay price. How does he get you to wiggle up might be a more pertinent question. That's you being in control of the purchase as opposed to the dealer being in control of the sale.

/ Getting to Yes #4  
Best way to do this is to know what you'd like to pay. Most of these tractors have a 25% mark up give or take from invoice as the retail price. Also the right tractor can last a life time. At some point it becomes a value judgement. If the tractor retails for $25 K and cost the dealer 20K, how much profit are you willing to afford the dealer? That will be your willing to pay price. How does he get you to wiggle up might be a more pertinent question. That's you being in control of the purchase as opposed to the dealer being in control of the sale.

What a great quote about your buying perspective! Thanks for that- I aim to keep that in mind from now on.

PH

/ Getting to Yes #5  
Just takes some good old fashion haggling. :thumbsup:

First thing you need to know is what retail cost is, and about what the most off retail you could expect. Depending on the size to the tractor, could be around 15% off. If the price is still higher than you want tell the dealer you've called around other dealers and you know you can get it for $X price. If they aren't willing to come down much on price then you start seeing if they will throw in different options or attachments to make the deal better. If they won't, then I'll walk out, or at least start to. Often this gets their attention and they'll be willing to negotiate more. If not head to another dealer and see what they will do for you.

With that said, when I am looking to purchase a tractor or other large piece of equipment I'll call every dealer within 100mi. I'll first talk to them over the phone to feel them out on their pricing. Say something like: "I'm in the market for xx piece of equipment, probably buying within the next day or two. Do you have any of that model in stock? What's your best price if I showed up with cash in hand tomorrow?" etc. Generally they know I'm pretty serious and will give a good price, if they tell me something close to list price I move on to the next on the list. If several have a good, low price that is similar I'll pick which ever dealer is closest, or which ever I like to work with the most.