Price Check Bobcat CT235

/ Bobcat CT235 #1  

pmetal

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Went to the local Bobcat dealer yesterday and got a quote on a CT235.

CT235 - FEL (can't remember the size), 72" box blade, 72" front snow plow

$25,200 out-the-door, with 0% for 72mos.

He said they'd weld three hooks on the bucket for me at no charge. I think they normally charge $125 for that.

Thoughts on the price?

I told him I'd take the CT335 off his hands, since they're phasing it out anyway, for the price of the CT235. He wasn't going for it. :D

Might not be the best deal in the world, but I'm comfortable knowing that he has done business with my friend's family for many, many years.

/ Bobcat CT235 #2  
Price is very high, I think. S/B more like $20K.

/ Bobcat CT235 #3  
CT230, FEL, 7ft BH, filled tires, block heater, quoted $28,800;
so your dealer's quote sounds about in the same ballpark.

I just saw a 2009 CT230 with FEL and 44hrs on it asking $14,000.

Keep in mind that most bank loans are running about 5.5 to 6.8% which for the full amount you were quoted for 6 years (at 6.0%) is about $4800 in interest. If you paid them cash on the barrel head, I'd expect their price to be at least that much lower.

Most folks say that dealers mark up about 15% of their costs; which means they probably started at $21420. The interest on financing at 6% of that amount runs about $4K, so figure $17,500 is how much the company can sell at zero profit.

Me, I'm weird. I figure everyone deserves to make 10% profit. 15% is a bit too much gravy coming out of my pocket. (Don't get me started with retail prices for Microsoft Windows - that's pure predatory.)

/ Bobcat CT235 #4  
CT230, FEL, 7ft BH, filled tires, block heater, quoted $28,800;
so your dealer's quote sounds about in the same ballpark.

I just saw a 2009 CT230 with FEL and 44hrs on it asking $14,000.

Keep in mind that most bank loans are running about 5.5 to 6.8% which for the full amount you were quoted for 6 years (at 6.0%) is about $4800 in interest. If you paid them cash on the barrel head, I'd expect their price to be at least that much lower.

Most folks say that dealers mark up about 15% of their costs; which means they probably started at $21420. The interest on financing at 6% of that amount runs about $4K, so figure $17,500 is how much the company can sell at zero profit.

Me, I'm weird. I figure everyone deserves to make 10% profit. 15% is a bit too much gravy coming out of my pocket. (Don't get me started with retail prices for Microsoft Windows - that's pure predatory.)

In the ball park? Really? A backhoe is a $7000 implement. He's not included one. His quote is at least $3K too high, unless the boxblade and snow plow are top-shelf attachments with hydraulics bells and whistles.

I purchased a CK25 gear TLB, post hole digger with 12" auger, 7' Woods scraper blade, filled tires, welded on hooks, toothbar, and brushguard, all for under $20K.

/ Bobcat CT235 #5  
Says he's from Virginia. My experiences from there are from the D.C. area where cost of living is, well, it sucks. So I was expecting higher prices for him.

/ Bobcat CT235
Looking around the internet, it seems he's essentially giving me the list price on everything.

So, not really getting a deal. I'm gonna see if he can go lower.

Says he's from Virginia. My experiences from there are from the D.C. area where cost of living is, well, it sucks. So I was expecting higher prices for him.

Yep. Part of the deal around here. I could go south a little and look at Kioti. I know at least one member here has had a great experience down there. That may still be an option, haven't decided yet.

/ Bobcat CT235 #7  
Dr. ZING, as a dealer of tractors I wish I made that kind of profit. First of all, the interest paid on a 60 mo. loan has nothing to do w/ dealer cost or selling price. That all goes to the finance company, not the dealer. So get rid of that thought right away. The hopeful margin on a medium. size compact tractor at best is 10-12%. In other words, if a 40HP tractor cost the dealer $20,000 after all bonus', he adds on his frt. and set-up, @ $6-700 so real cost is $20,700. Mark-up or profit,$2-2200 and the price would be 22,7-22,900. That's it. Nothing else. Then you have to deliver it which can cost $100 or so depending on distance. As you can see, not much room. On that deal, if I had to come down $200, that comes off the profit so $1800. That's the max.. I would walk away from the deal after that unless an extreme case,i.e.: interest bearing, very old, etc.. But not on a new termed tractor.

Some dealers stoop to low margins say @5-8%, but if they do that consistently, then they won't be around very long. Then customers complain they don't have a dealer in their area. There is one reason mostly a dealer goes out of business......didn't make enough profit to stay alive. I've seen it happen time and time again. A dealer throws out great deals, beats everyone on price and then.....what?, he's out of business. Wonder why?

Remember, that profit doesn't go in our pocket, it pays for: salaries, insurance which is high, building payment, inventory costs, warranty expence (what isn't covered by warranty- a lot) advertising and other misc. things. All of a sudden, there isn't much left. So that wasn't too much profit after all!

Just a little info. the avg. public doesn't think about. They think we make 50% minimum. WRONG.

/ Bobcat CT235
I expect them to make a profit, or, like you said, they won't be around long.

I may end up paying list price, but so be it. I like the dealer, and based on my interaction with him and his history with my buddy's family, I think he'll take care of me when I need him to. I'm starting to feel that good service down the road is just as, if not more, important than upfront price.

:)