Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Default Re: Newbie with a few q\'s

Leadfoot,

If you are a big guy like me, well your close to me then I would seriously think about going a tad bit larger. Look at somewhere in the 21 to 25 horsepower and then elect to option the better seat or purchase one of the aftermarket seats. If someone else is going to help you in the purchase that even makes it better. kubota and John Deere make some pretty nice ones to fit your bill, but check out the new New Holland TC24D. Lots of room on it and with hydro.

murph

Leadfoot,

I think your reasoning process is right on.

I have a kubota B2910...but yesterday during a social stop at my dealers to say hello and shoot the breeze a little, I saw a B7500 sitting in the show room...and could not help but realize that it would be a very fine tractor for a couple acres...like I have! Actually have almost 4 acres...but...and love my B2910.

Like you will read in the archives, it takes a long time to do the big chores with a little tractor. But when you are done you need the little [or should I say little-er] tractor and not the big one anymore, if that is what you start with. So either hiring out the big jobs, or like you are thinking, perhaps having a bigger one for the initial big jobs, that could still be used productively at "grandma's place" afterwards, makes a lot of sense.

I know the bx tractors are fine tractors, and if I could justify a second tractor I would like to have one of those as well. But like many things in life, a little bigger is a little better...if you can afford it. AND as a bigger guy, you do need something that will fit you.

Also, as you know, the color is not the most important part of the decision!

Good luck and have fun in your search... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Welcome to TBN!

Just for fun, check out the Power Trac line of tractors. I really like my PT425. It is small enough to fit in a yard barn or the rear of a standard pickup truck yet big enough to handle most jobs that I care to tackle. The nicest thing is all of the implements are out front where you can see them and you can change implements in as little as 15 seconds without getting off of the tractor. Does a nice job of mowing the lawn, too. If you aren't going to do much agricultural work, such as plowing a field, these types of tractors are fantastic. If you're interested you can read more in the Power Trac forum. Good luck in your tractor hunt. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, John Deere LT150

As you mentioned I think you will find a number of good ideas on this board. I have a JD 4110 that suits my needs. I also like the Kubotas, New Hollands, Kiotis, Bransons, Yanmars. I quess my problem is I haven't met a tractor yet that I didn't like. Guess what I am trying to say is there are plenty of options but you will need to decide what you like the best. I found looking to be a fun process. I feel the dealer is very important also, there needs to be a trust and comfort level there. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well I visited 4 dealerships, JD, a kubota/NH, Longagri & a Case/IH/Mahindra. I wound up at the Long place first as they were closest. I looked at the LT300DTC with a quick disconnect 5140 loader. With discounts the price is 15k even with R4 tires. Really nice people too. They also will finance for 84 mo.s @6.2% apr. Bonus!! Plus it has front AND rear hyd hookups already. Strong contender for me right off the bat,even offered to let me tool it around their yard but I explained that it was still very early in the process & I wanted to narrow the field before I start test driving,which they were very understanding about. Main reason being,if you drive 20 tractors it gets hard to remember which ones you liked best & why(early onset of CRS). [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Next up was the kubota/nh dealer. Again really nice folks. I wound up looking at a B7800 with R4's and a B78 loader. Once again 15k even. They will finance for 60 mo.s @2.99 apr. Hmmmm!! I asked about the NH's & the salesman said point blank he would recommend a the 7800 over the comparable NH's.Just his personal pick for me he said. Told me he wants me to be happy & pushed the kubota for this reason. I asked why & he kind of looked me up & down & told to climb aboard any NH I wanted.I think I got on a tc24. Being big as I am.....it just wasn't working. The ergonomics were way off for me. So NH is off my list. Next dealer!!!! The JD dealer found the quickest way to point me out the door.#1 trash talk the competition. I walked up & started checking out the 4000 series. They had a 4310 with a 430 loader & a 4210 with a 420 loader. The 4210 wound up at just under 17k!!! Ouch!! So the salesman pushed me to a 790 with a 419 loader. Priced at 14k & change. I really don't want a gear tractor with no shuttle for my purposes so that put it out of the running. When I explained this to the salesman he acted like I had just slapped his mother. He invited me inside while he checked all his finance numbers to see what he could come up with.While we were in his office the phone rang. I was the only person in to see him & this was the only time the phone rang while I was there. The person on the other end was an irate customer from what I could gather. So what does Mr.Slick tell the customer? That he has 4 people waiting for him here & the phone is ringing off the hook-he'll have to get back to them. I suddenly remember my house is on fire & excuse myself.This is the only JD shop in my area that actually sells tractors ,the others are all strictly lawnmowers. So JD is out period. Last stop,Case/IH/Mahindra. I looked at a 2810 Mahindra with a 108 loader & R4 tires. Once again,15k even.They'll go 72 mo's @6.9 apr. And yet again,what a great bunch of people.Nice as could be.Even offered to bring the tractor out for a demo at my place for a day whenever we get ready. So it really looks like it's gonna come down to the 2810 & the LT300. I like the bota but the note is kinda high,& as nice as they were,the Mahindra & Long people just made me more willing to come off the $$. So again,any opinions on my choices so far? Thanks so very much for all of y'all's wonderful help.Several of the dealers told me they were impressed by my obvious knowledge of CUTs & figured I was an old hand instead of a green horn.I of course told all the dealers about TBN. Suprisingly to me,none of them knew about this. Now they do!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

"I like the bota but the note is kinda high"

I'm guessing that you should run the numbers again if you think the kubota is the worst deal financially.

I realize that the kubota has a lower payback in total with the lower interest rate,but the shorter term scoots the note out of reach.If they'll bump out to 72 mo I think i can swing it. Wife says about $150 per mo is all I can go unless I get rid of some more "toys" which is not happening. I'm already sacrificing a truck to get a tractor (92 Sonoma GT #245 of 806 built).Plus I haven't even haggled with any of them yet,these are all their first offers. I'm curious how prices in my area compare with other areas.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

Hi,

Not exactly sure why you ruled out the kubota, but I think you should double check the actual cost of ownership. The lower interest rate of the Kubota loan may save you about $2400 in interest charges, assuming you finance $15,000. Of course, the shorter term might cost you up to $50 per month more, but if that's not an excessive financial burden, the Kubota loan is a better deal.

I don't know too much about the other tractors, so I can't comment on those. I can say that your Deere salesman and the one closest to me went to the same school. Real turn off. Too bad, 'cause they do have a nice product line.

Keep us posted as you sort out all the details.

~Rick

Tractor
    Branson 3520

If money is an important object check out Century (I have a Branson but they don't offer financing--you're dealer might but these financing deals tend to be higher). Century is the same as Branson (save the loader, which is heavier duty). Century does offer financing. A 2535 would run you around $15 with a loader and a lot of standard features you normally pay extra for, assuming you can find a dealer willing to deal. Of course, there are fewer dealers, but they are excellent tractors for the $. Don't ask me how I know. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck!

Tractor
    Century 3045

OK, I won't ask. On the loader though, from a picture I saw of a Branson recently on this site [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], the loader is the same as the Century C30/40. The Century has the European C50 loader available which appears to have a stronger attachment to the tractor, but has similar specs. I understand Branson had a $1000 rebate and Century has $700 to $900 depending on model. Century offers low financing in lieu of rebate. My Century guy had a 2028 30 HP with C30 and R4's for $13,600. Heck of a deal if that fits your needs.
    Pacesetter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast