More dumb newbie questions

/ More dumb newbie questions #1  

dustinfox

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
Is there a list of tractor acronyms somewhere? It took me several hours of research to figure out what a "ROP" was. Now I'm trying to figure out what "FEL" means. I think it's something to do with a loader. :ashamed:

/ More dumb newbie questions #2  
Fel front end loader.

/ More dumb newbie questions #3  
Here are some more things, not all just acronyms .. lets see.

MFWD Mechanical Front wheel drive.. IE. 4 wheel drive, all of them on a CUT Compact Utility Tractor are mechanical in nature, but I suppose there could be an Hydraulic one, I think some large articulated tractors may be hydraulic. Also shown as DT or DTC for some models (Dual Traction) So a SCUT would be a Sub CUT, usually less than 20 horsepower, CUTS are usually less than 40 to 45 horsepower but frame size plays into this some too. so something bigger would be a UT or Utility Tractor.
3PT is Three Point Hitch. the part on the back of the tractor that lifts and positions rear implements, it has 3 connection points. Two lower links and and upper link, hence 3pt. It is powered by an internal hydraulic cylinder. speaking of rear hydraulic connections, or "remotes" some tractors have 1 or more rear connection points for hooking up auxiliary hydraulic things. Like TNT.. no not explosive. Top aNd Tilt .. so 2 auxiliary hydraulic cylinders to adjust angles and tilt of things like rear blades and lots of other things without getting off of the tractor to do it manualy with the normally provided jackscrew. Now the PTO Power Take Off is a 6 spline 1 3/8 inch shaft that comes out the back of the tractor (there are other sizes and speeds, and there can be a mid PTO also) that normally will turn at 540 RPM when the tractor is in its power band speed on the engine, Usually a mark on the Tachometer to let the operator know what engine speed to make 540 Rotations Per Minute on the PTO. There are about 4 or 5 different PTO engagement schemes/clutches and this would take several pages to describe all the differences, some very subtle. Now to the front end. You already know the loader.. now the bucket is either pinned on with pins or has a propriatary attachment scheme or is SSQA Skid Steer Quick Attach compatible. An attachment standard that was popularized for Skid Steer loaders, but rapidly becomeing the attachment standard on CUTS on up for tractors.. some acronyms for implements. BH.. could be Back Hoe, or sometimes seen Brush Hog, and brand name for a rotary cutter. Rotary cutters have dull swinging heavy blades, that if they hit something solid, they will swing back to clear the obstacle. Finish mowers have fixed sharp lighter blades and if you hit a rock or other solid thing will "wad up", smoke the drive belt, and make a heck of a racket, an expensive sound. Finish mowers make pretty cuts, rotary cutters, make not so pretty cuts, but survive brush, roots rocks etc. Keep in mind the names people call implements are regional, in nature. Keep reading, and by all means keep asking questions. hope this helped a little.

James K0UA

/ More dumb newbie questions
Awesome... Thank You!

/ More dumb newbie questions #5  
And don't forget rotary mowers get called bush hogs, brush hogs, shredders, and a bunch of assorted cuss words. :confused2:

/ More dumb newbie questions #8  
Here are some more things, not all just acronyms .. lets see.

Keep in mind the names people call implements are regional, in nature. Keep reading, and by all means keep asking questions. hope this helped a little.

James K0UA

James,

EXCELLENT post!

I learned a couple things here too! But then, I'm still a noob...

Dustin,

I believe al Kioti's have SSQA or "BobTach" (the version Bobcat invented). There should be a single black lever behind your FEL bucket.

Remember, we are all in this together. Some are just further along the path...

David

Last edited:
   / More dumb newbie questions
James,

EXCELLENT post!

I learned a couple things here too! But then, I'm still a noob...

Dustin,

I believe al Kioti's have SSQA or "BobTach" (the version Bobcat invented). There should be a single black lever behind your FEL bucket.

Remember, we are all in this together. Some are just further along the path...

David

OK I will. :D I posted this in the attachments section but I will ask here while I'm thinking of it. I need a tooth bar and I see there are flat ones and "regular" ones. Seems like flat would be best. When would you NOT want a flat tooth bar?

OK... I called Iowa Farm equipment and the girl I spoke with was very helpful. She explained how the flat TB mounts differently and also that they sometimes fail especially when they are over 60". I ordered a regular toothbar and she said I would have it by Thursday! Just 2 days! I hope their product is as awesome as the sales staff!

Last edited:
   / More dumb newbie questions #10  
OK I will. :D I posted this in the attachments section but I will ask here while I'm thinking of it. I need a tooth bar and I see there are flat ones and "regular" ones. Seems like flat would be best. When would you NOT want a flat tooth bar?

OK... I called Iowa Farm equipment and the girl I spoke with was very helpful. She explained how the flat TB mounts differently and also that they sometimes fail especially when they are over 60". I ordered a regular toothbar and she said I would have it by Thursday! Just 2 days! I hope their product is as awesome as the sales staff!

Ok I guess you got the lowdown on the toothbars (teethbars?) but what I have seen of some of the flat tooth-bars missing teeth, the close up photo's show lousy welding with a too small MIG welder. The teeth are a big chunk of metal and deep penetration is needed and some of the welds look like there was no penetration just weld metal piled up. I think I could do better with my stick rig. Or some one that has the proper size of MIG rig and knows how to operate it. What I am getting at here is that I don't think the inherent design is bad on the flat toothbars, just the execution of some of them.

James K0UA