Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #1  

Anonymous Poster

Ken\'s search for a \'cheaper\' tractor thread

Well... I have been posting all over the place trying to learn as much as I can as I am looking at tractors. So, I will combine to one thread and post all my questions on this one. So as to not jumble up the forum.

To make a long story short. I have a little over 10 acres. 3-4 to finish mow. 3-4 horse pasture. 2-3 woods. 120 foot driveway that will eventually be about 200+ feet. And I am in MI, so it snows.

I dont think a little garden tractor will quite do what I want. But, it is not in the picture to get a new compact tractor.

I went and looked at a Allis Chalmers B with a 60inch mower for $2600. I would have paid $1600 at most. Then I looked at a Farmall H. Oops... too big.

I hope to go look at a bunch tomorrow morning that a collector is selling off.

When I looked at the Farmall H, I found out he also had an International Cub low-boy 154 with a 5ft mower. Everything working, just a little rough around the edges. This is an auction item, so I am not sure what final price will be, but it starts at $1200. So, I am going to keep an eye on this one. There is not 3-point on this as I understand. But there is some kind of belt drive system on the back? Is this useful, or is this just a LARGE riding lawn mower?

Help!!!

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #2  
Re: Ken\'s search for a \'cheaper\' tractor thread

No offense, Ken, but wouldn't it be easier to keep this discussion in one thread?

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread

Umm... that was the whole purpose of this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I had 4 or so others out there. So, I created one to just stick with. Trying not to hog threads. Sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ken H.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No offense, Ken, but wouldn't it be easier to keep this discussion in one thread? )</font>

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #4  

Ken,

How close are you to Archbold, OH? There is an auction place there called Yoder & Frey (419-445-2080). This time of year they have a ton of different used tractors of just about every concievable size and condition. You may want to check there.

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #5  

From what little that I've learned, if you want to use 3pt implements, stick with the 8n-NAA-800series-2000 type fords or the similar Massy Furgeson 30's, 35's , ect. I am not very familiar with Massy's, but most around here prefer them to the Fords, but the number of Ford tractors around is extraordinary...
These units may be a little heavy for mowing depending what kind of yard or groomed "lawn" you want...
The Cubs would be good for mowing.

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #6  

Attachments

• 247488-YANMAR%201500.jpg
    247488-YANMAR%201500.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 93
   / Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #7  

That Yanmar price does not include the loader, btw and the 1500 is a SMALL tractor. Anyhow, I replied to your other post so I will take a different angle. In most areas there are two or three types of tractor dealers. 1) new. forget it. 2) used older farm tractors 3) grey market or odd-brand new tractors.

You want to focus on #2 I think. In my area of upstate NY, there are 2 or 3 '#2' type dealers within a 2hr drive. They work all the farm auctions and resell older tractors from $2500 to $10,000 or so. One in particular always has a good stock of 8n, 9ns and Massey 35, 135, etc. Both are excellent places to start for tractoring on the cheap. I dont recall your price budget, but in the neighborhood of $3500 you start seeing decent usable machines, perhaps with an implement. Anything lower and you are lucky or it is a project. The farmalls are really cheap as are Cub 154s because of the lack of PTO and or 3ph. BTW, the belt rig on the 154 and other lo-boys runs the belly mower. Basically the lo boys are oversize lawn tractors, perhaps outfitted with a front snowblade and tow hitch. not what you want.

Try to find a used dealer who works the auctions and you will be less frustrated. As for other forums, check out jplan.com - a slightly lower-budget forum for compact tractors. Also ytmag.com has alot of info on older farm tractors - nice folks over there. To price check or see pictures, search on agdealer.com or ironweb.com. even if the tractors are on the other side of the planet, you can see a picture and get price tips. Finally, for specs on most tractors, go to tractortips.com

happy hunting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread

Well... I got the 9n from an owner that used it to mow his lawn, and install horse fencing when he first got it. He owned it for 8 years. He is moving back to the city, so he cannt take it with him.

Ford 9n. Motor rebuilt by a local tractor dealer in '98. Runs very nice. Everything works, except lights. They are not wired after it was converted to 12v. Paint is nice. New rear rims, tires and tubes. Comes with a post hole digger(almost new) with 9 inch and 12 inch augers. Rear 6ft blade. 6ft ciltivator. 5ft finish mower. 6ft pasture rake, with two extensions to make it 14 ft if needed. Some huge two disk plow attachment, that I will sell since it is too big for the tractor, he never used it. Another post hole digger that is too big for the tracotr that I will sell off also. and a 5ft brush hog that requires a little attention, some rusty spots. Oh, and he threw in a water trouigh for my horses also. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
$2400.
So, really I need to do is wire up some new lights.

Thats my new toy.

Thanks everyone
Ken H.

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #9  

Sounds like a great deal.......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ken's search for a 'cheaper' tractor thread #10  

What a deal....congrats. In my neighborhood, (N. Ga.), the tractor alone would bring $2500.