Tractor Sizing What comes into play when choosing HP?

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #11  
If you are concerned about hp being sucked off by the HST, just get the next step up in horse power. You'd likely find that the vast majority of land owners here on TBN far and away prefer the convenience of the HST. I can use both and grew up on gear, but an HST is very, very well-behaved for close in work.

And you did mention your wife.........:D Get the HST.

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #12  
Dustin,
You also have to think about what you will use the tractor for. Being in New Hampshire do you have a long drive to plow or use a snow blower, flat or hills any logging? You can do almost anything with either size but it will take you longer with the lower HP. I have read on TBN many times that nobody ever wished they bought a smaller tractor. :)

A generally accepted truism. That said, a lot of folks downsize. Oh yes, there is such a thing as too big a tractor. Oh yes, indeed.

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #13  
Hmmm... I was going to get an HST so the wife could drive the tractor but now you've all got me thinking I should convince her she should learn to deal with a gear transmission.:confused:

I would buy a hydro transmission for myself in this size and for the considered uses, regardless of the wife operating skills. It will be easier for everyone to operate.

Tractors have a high weight to horsepower ratio by nature so having more power in the same frame size will make everything you do take less time. There are some similarities such as raising the loader bucket from a standstill position where you won't notice the difference but to transport the loaded bucket the higher hp tractor will move it faster. Driving a tractor up an incline is one case where the difference in power is very noticeable, this is true for gear or hydro trannies because the weight of the machine is the big factor.

/ What comes into play when choosing HP?
So much great advice and input from everyone... Can't thank you enough :)

I've decided to move up to a larger HP tractor with the HST. Most folks seem to agree that the benefits are well worth any loss in power, and if I ever need the PTO I'll have that extra HP. And the wife will be happier ;)

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #15  
A generally accepted truism. That said, a lot of folks downsize. Oh yes, there is such a thing as too big a tractor. Oh yes, indeed.

The truth be told! I dropped all the way to a SCUT 18HP 4WD from a CUT 40.

And yes some jobs DO take longer but most of what I do gets done much quicker with the SCUT (landscaping and gardening). I have to get into very tight places, get through small access areas etc. Plus even with AG tires I don't leave ruts everywhere the tractor rolls.

The 3pt will lift 1200lbs which is enough for skidding the occasional fallen tree, or loading implements onto a trailer with a boom pole. Pulls a double row 4ft disc and box blade with 4 rippers all the way down just fine, just a wee bit slower. And much to my surprise runs a 5ft tiller just as well as the 40HP did.

They had the same tractor with HST and I was able to demo both. The HST was sweet.... but it did rob HP when using ground engaging equip so I opted for the manual.

My 40 was HST and never noticed any lack of power even going up moderate inclines. I'm thinking once you get to 30HP or so you're not going to see any noticeable difference in power one way or the other. But if something breaks you're sure gonna see a difference in the bill....LOL

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #16  
I have a Kioti DK45SC gear, which is about the right size tractor for my uses. Probably two-thirds of my seat time is using the loader, though, so I wish I had HST. For the uses you describe, the HST will make your life easier. If you opt for the slightly greater HP, you'll still be OK with future 3PH uses, too (and you WILL think of some, for sure!).
I'd even like HST for snow blowing: I sometimes feel like a one-armed paper-hanger shifting gears (and ranges), forward-reverse, steering, blower lift and chute rotation all at the same time, while twisted around looking backwards! HST would cut out a lot of the confusion and free up my left hand for just steering.
Go for the HST.
BOB

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #17  
I like gear. I've worked gears for decades. Still drive a manual in my truck.

But let's face it. A gear isn't a sure thing to avoid repair expenses down the road. Take care of it, because splitting a tractor to replace a clutch is not always easy or cheap. Have you priced clutches and pressure plates lately? Guys here report prices that make your mind absolutely boggle.

Take care of an HST and you'll get decades of trouble free use out it. It isn't an automatic transmission. It is a pretty tough hydraulic system. Personally, I'd never go back to a gear on a compact utility tractor for general, all-around use. The parasitic draw from an HST is far over-blown on a properly horse-powered unit, imho.

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #18  
Don't forget the PTO rule of thumb...
5HP at the PTO for every linear foot of the attachment

So... for a 5' rotary cutter you'd need at least 25HP at the PTO otherwise it may not operate smoothly

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #19  
So does that mean I can run a 5 or 6 foot diameter post hole digger with my 29HP tractor:D

J/K BTW:laughing:

/ What comes into play when choosing HP? #20  
So does that mean I can run a 5 or 6 foot diameter post hole digger with my 29HP tractor:D

J/K BTW:laughing:
As long as its geared right ... and the tractor is ballasted so it doesnt revolve instead.:D
larry

Last edited: