New Kubota M7040 here!

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #11  
On my shuttle shift park locks the gear selector in neutral and locks the transmission, nothing turns.

E/S

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #12  
Nice looking rig!!

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #13  
Congratulations on your new tractor; very nice looking rig. Like L/S I don't need a brake light as you can't put it in gear with the parking brake engaged.

When I shut it down, I automatically put it in neutral and apply the brake.

You can start it with the brake on, but you aren't going anywhere.

I also use my shuttle shift more than my foot brake, but coming from a synchro shuttle, it took me quite a while to get use to not foot clutching for everything.

Precise control is more difficult with a shuttle than HST, but you can adapt well enough in time.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #14  
On my shuttle shift park locks the gear selector in neutral and locks the transmission, nothing turns.

E/S

Congratulations on your new tractor; very nice looking rig. Like L/S I don't need a brake light as you can't put it in gear with the parking brake engaged.

When I shut it down, I automatically put it in neutral and apply the brake.

You can start it with the brake on, but you aren't going anywhere.

I also use my shuttle shift more than my foot brake, but coming from a synchro shuttle, it took me quite a while to get use to not foot clutching for everything.

Precise control is more difficult with a shuttle than HST, but you can adapt well enough in time.

I guess mine are too old to qualify then. Maybe I need to trade up..... on second thought, I'll just keep 'em.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #15  
The m7040 does not have a transmission parking lock. Only comes on m8540 and bigger.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #16  
I've seen nothing cooler for forward to reverse direction change than a hydraulic shuttle. My dozer had it, and it was super cool. No clutching, just a bunch of lever back-and-forthing.

Have fun, what an awesome looking machine.

Joel

/ New Kubota M7040 here!
The m7040 does not have a transmission parking lock. Only comes on m8540 and bigger.

Correct. I thought this was a very nice touch in the 8540 and 9540. Smaller differences I think are the 7040 has a lever operates PTO vs an electrical switch.

Lack of a parking brake indicator is probably the biggest oversight so far in this class of tractor. Everything else seems very nicely in place.

I still don't know if I will get used to not half clutching to move a small distance. I'm never going to be in the perfect gear all the time - particularly if it requires a range change. Engaging the shuttle without the clutch is fine but I'm going to have to get used to it. I find that when I need to come to a stop I naturally hit the clutch and then put the shuttle in neutral.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #18  

Thanks for the correction; thought all of them were set up the same.

Correct. I thought this was a very nice touch in the 8540 and 9540. Smaller differences I think are the 7040 has a lever operates PTO vs an electrical switch.

Lack of a parking brake indicator is probably the biggest oversight so far in this class of tractor. Everything else seems very nicely in place.

I still don't know if I will get used to not half clutching to move a small distance. I'm never going to be in the perfect gear all the time - particularly if it requires a range change. Engaging the shuttle without the clutch is fine but I'm going to have to get used to it. I find that when I need to come to a stop I naturally hit the clutch and then put the shuttle in neutral.

Our M8540 also uses a lever for PTO engagement which I prefer over a button or knob.

I can understand your problem now; sure looks like a significant oversight to me too.

You will get use to using the shuttle; took me quite a while. I use the shuttle shift the same way as the foot clutch to ease up to something.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #19  
That's a nice tractor, you will get used to it with some seat time.:thumbsup:

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #20  
that is 1 sweet looking 7040 you have there.