New Kubota M7040 here!

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I got my new Kubota M7040 hydraulic shuttle / cab delivered on Tuesday and have only had a chance to play with it tonight.

I've attached a few quickly taken photos from the day it was delivered. The LP rotary cutter, hay forks and spear were delivered with it. I'm waiting on the snowblower.

My trusty L3400 HST is loaded up on the delivery truck along with the implements I traded in.

Looking forward to playing with the new tractor tomorrow!

First impressions:

- Coming from the L3400, this thing is BIG!
- It is taking me a bit of time to get used to the Euro / ALO style QA. Literally took me (don't laugh!) 10 minutes to get the forks attached. I think it is a combination of the fact that unlike an HST control of the tractors location isn't quite as precise with the clutch. I also have a hard time seeing where the QA braket is wrt the implement to line it up. What worked well was setting up the bracket on the loader so it was literally parallel to the ground. Since the point the implement hooks to is a cylinder, I can do this. This made it easy to see and I had to concentrate on just lifting the loader to hook up the implement instead of the combination of the lift and curl operation I am used to with the SSQA. Then curl snapped the forks into place. Really cool that I don't have to get off the tractor to push the pins down - it locks on its own!
- I'm sure I would have been immediately much more productive on a L5240 HST as I currently have to think about whether the shuttle lever is in F or R
- Found 1 H to be the best gear for operation doing chores - I was picking up tree limbs that I had chopped down last weekend with a pole saw (to make room for the new tractor) with my forks. It is slow enough so that I can park or get close to something - with some application of the clutch as necessary. Fast enough so that I can drive up the pasture with the limbs to my burn pile.
- I have NO idea how to get the plastic entirely off the seats. Seems to be embedded in the freaking seat in between the cloth cushions and metal frame!
- Hear some rattling behind my seat. Can't believe I am complaining about rattle on a tractor!
- Really cool having a radio! Never thought I would enjoy that.
- Surprised me that it does not have a warning light on when the parking brake is engaged. My L3400 did not either and I found this to be silly. Pretty sure the Grand Ls do.

My 3PT slider is on its way in back from Pats along with slider hooks they made for me. Can't wait to run the rotary cutter although I have no need to at this time of the year.

Overall, I am rather thrilled and can't wait to play tomorrow!

Oh yeah. I think you'd be crazy not to load the tires on this sucker. Even with the cast wheels, it is large and I think I will appreciate doing basic loader work (unless I am lifting something REALLY heavy) without something big hanging off the 3PT... or at least having the option not to.

Pictures attached. I'll take some better ones working soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,582
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,262
   / New Kubota M7040 here! #2  
Nice, congrats and have some fun.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #3  
I got my new Kubota M7040 hydraulic shuttle / cab delivered on Tuesday and have only had a chance to play with it tonight.

I've attached a few quickly taken photos from the day it was delivered. The LP rotary cutter, hay forks and spear were delivered with it. I'm waiting on the snowblower.

My trusty L3400 HST is loaded up on the delivery truck along with the implements I traded in.

Looking forward to playing with the new tractor tomorrow!

First impressions:

- Coming from the L3400, this thing is BIG!
- It is taking me a bit of time to get used to the Euro / ALO style QA. Literally took me (don't laugh!) 10 minutes to get the forks attached. I think it is a combination of the fact that unlike an HST control of the tractors location isn't quite as precise with the clutch. I also have a hard time seeing where the QA braket is wrt the implement to line it up. What worked well was setting up the bracket on the loader so it was literally parallel to the ground. Since the point the implement hooks to is a cylinder, I can do this. This made it easy to see and I had to concentrate on just lifting the loader to hook up the implement instead of the combination of the lift and curl operation I am used to with the SSQA. Then curl snapped the forks into place. Really cool that I don't have to get off the tractor to push the pins down - it locks on its own!

I can't see mine on either tractor. I roll out the QA hitch and come into the forks or bucket, they each have side guide panels to center the QD hitch and then roll back the hitch to attach. My pins are manual and that's fine with me. You only have to be close. The side guide plates will align the implement.

- I'm sure I would have been immediately much more productive on a L5240 HST as I currently have to think about whether the shuttle lever is in F or R
- Found 1 H to be the best gear for operation doing chores - I was picking up tree limbs that I had chopped down last weekend with a pole saw (to make room for the new tractor) with my forks. It is slow enough so that I can park or get close to something - with some application of the clutch as necessary. Fast enough so that I can drive up the pasture with the limbs to my burn pile.

After a few times it will become routine. Just don't ride the clutch pedal, use the shuttle

- I have NO idea how to get the plastic entirely off the seats. Seems to be embedded in the freaking seat in between the cloth cushions and metal frame!

I had the same issue on both of mine. I just took a box cutter and carefully cut the plastic covering. I believe it's under the seat cushion. My wife took an old terrycloth towel and sewed me up a nice, removable seat cover so I can wash it. I spend many hours in both tractors and I like clean seats.

- Hear some rattling behind my seat. Can't believe I am complaining about rattle on a tractor!

I have rattles too. My draft controls rattle a bit as does my axillary gearbox shift lever. It's a tractor, not a car so I ignore it. I fixed the draft control lever by slipping a short length of neoprene hose over the lever so it didn't rattle against the metal guide...

- Really cool having a radio! Never thought I would enjoy that.

Can't beat a CD player and weather band but the climate control is my favorite....

- Surprised me that it does not have a warning light on when the parking brake is engaged. My L3400 did not either and I found this to be silly. Pretty sure the Grand Ls do.

My grand L didn't. Neither did my 5030 and neither of my large frame tractors came with one, however, they both do now. I just added a micro switch to the brake pedal lever and a red light on the dash that glows when the brakes are on.

My 3PT slider is on its way in back from Pats along with slider hooks they made for me. Can't wait to run the rotary cutter although I have no need to at this time of the year.

Again, I see nor have any need for that gizmo but it's your money, not mine.

Overall, I am rather thrilled and can't wait to play tomorrow!

Oh yeah. I think you'd be crazy not to load the tires on this sucker. Even with the cast wheels, it is large and I think I will appreciate doing basic loader work (unless I am lifting something REALLY heavy) without something big hanging off the 3PT... or at least having the option not to.

Loading the tires, unless you plan on pulling a plow is not necessary and another added, and needless expense but again, it's your money, not mine. I've never had the need for any more additional weight out back and I do serious farm work with mine all the time.

Pictures attached. I'll take some better ones working soon.

Go take some pictures and get it dirty. You'll want to can the stock wiper blades and get some real Anco's.:)

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #4  
I see your new tractor has a side mount exhaust (like my 105 does).

I neither like or dislike it. I do prefer the hood mounted stack on my M9 because I can see when it's working hard....

No smoke, no fire and no fire, no power.:D

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #5  
Finally, new usually comes with an undesireable side effect, the payment book. I have no payments on either of mine. I did but they are paid off...finally.:)

/ New Kubota M7040 here!
5030 - appreciate the thoughts.

After a few times it will become routine. Just don't ride the clutch pedal, use the shuttle

Silly question but you might have to clarify this for me. Are you suggesting that instead of using the clutch I use the shuttle lever and move it between fwd and neutral till I get the tractor to the right spot - so as to slow the tractor down by moving into neutral a few times?

Any chance at all you could put some pictures up of your micro switch setup?

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #7  

Silly question but you might have to clarify this for me. Are you suggesting that instead of using the clutch I use the shuttle lever and move it between fwd and neutral till I get the tractor to the right spot - so as to slow the tractor down by moving into neutral a few times?

I wouldn't mind seeing that too. My New Holland actually beeps the horn when you leave park brake "on" and try to move forward or reverse.
Kubota should do this.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #8  
There is no need for a parking break light, the shuttle shift won't let you move in park.

The rattle is probably the SMV sign hitting the glass.

Use the shuttle shift to work the gears when ever possible, you'll get used to it.

The best thing I did was put the mower on and get to work. You will get used to it quick. I went from a 245dt to a m8540, took some getting used to ( especially the cab).

Nice rig !

E/S

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #9  

I could but I'm not photogenic. I drilled a hole in the dash and went to Radio Shack and bought a 12 volt lamp some hookup wire and a push microswitch that I mounted behind the brake pedal upper arm (remember they are split brakes) found a keyswitch hot on the fuseblock, added a tap and wired it to come on when the pedal is pushed down. Saves my bacon all the time. I have a habit of setting the brakes and forgetting about it.... and it's something that Kubota needs to address. I've never had a Kubota with a brake on light and I've had 13 of them.

Far as utilizing the shuttle, not to get to the right spot, you throttle back or drop gears for that, for changing direction or moving off. Leave the tractor in gear, put the shuttle in neutral and when you go, with the tractor throttled back, move the shuttle to the direction you want to go. The shuttle has it's own clutch pack and it's modulated, that ir, it engages smoothly.

On a hydraulic shuttle, the main clutch is also hydraulically actuated but there is no need to half clutch the unit. Just use the shuttle.

/ New Kubota M7040 here! #10  
There is no need for a parking break light, the shuttle shift won't let you move in park.

The rattle is probably the SMV sign hitting the glass.

Use the shuttle shift to work the gears when ever possible, you'll get used to it.

The best thing I did was put the mower on and get to work. You will get used to it quick. I went from a 245dt to a m8540, took some getting used to ( especially the cab).

Nice rig !

E/S

I'm missing something here...

One. there is no PARK on a gear drive unit. There is neutral. That's it. Maybe my M9000HDCC3 and my 105SA are black sheep but neither have anything that says or indicates PARK.......:confused:

Park to me is neutral with the brakes applied.