After comparing, bought an F-550

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
After comparing tow rigs for my tractor/bush hog, I decided on an F-550 4x4 crew cab flat bed with high capacity tow package. The choice came down to a '96 F-800 medium duty 4x4 for $18,000 (thought that was a great deal), a very nice '04 IH 4400 crewcab 4x4 for $40,000 and an '08 F-550 for $28,000.
I chose the 550 because it had enough of a GCWR (33,000lbs) to pull the trailer I need, but still fit in my garage and be small enough to park easily at a home depot, and get in and out of tight places. The price was pretty good and Ford financed it for me. Finance options were terrible for the medium duty truck options.
The medium duties were clearly better suited for heavier trailers, but I already have a similar air braked truck and don't want another one.

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #2  
After comparing tow rigs for my tractor/bush hog, I decided on an F-550 4x4 crew cab flat bed with high capacity tow package. The choice came down to a '96 F-800 medium duty 4x4 for $18,000 (thought that was a great deal), a very nice '04 IH 4400 crewcab 4x4 for $40,000 and an '08 F-550 for $28,000.
I chose the 550 because it had enough of a GCWR (33,000lbs) to pull the trailer I need, but still fit in my garage and be small enough to park easily at a home depot, and get in and out of tight places. The price was pretty good and Ford financed it for me. Finance options were terrible for the medium duty truck options.
The medium duties were clearly better suited for heavier trailers, but I already have a similar air braked truck and don't want another one.

Pretty nice lineup of machines there, Builder!

Do you have a trailer yet?

No pics??:cool:

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #3  
Ok DiamondPilot, how did you break into Builders account and post this? :D

On a side note, there's not much selection in the class 5 trucks with a bed. Now get that Powerstroke out of there and put a medium duty engine in that medium duty truck. ;)

For $28k, that sounds like a heck of a deal. How many miles?

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #4  
Sounds like a heck of a price, to me! Don't recall which version of the Powerstroke the '08 - 550 would have in it, though.

Would that be the 6.0 or the 6.4? Thinking the 6.7 came out in 2010, yes?

AKfish

/ After comparing, bought an F-550
Sounds like a heck of a price, to me! Don't recall which version of the Powerstroke the '08 - 550 would have in it, though.

Would that be the 6.0 or the 6.4? Thinking the 6.7 came out in 2010, yes?

AKfish

It's a 6.4L.
Not touching any 6L.

Last edited:
Pretty nice lineup of machines there, Builder!

Do you have a trailer yet?

No pics??:cool:

Thanks, bud. Working on purchasing a trailer right now. Looking for 25K dual-tandem gooseneck. I'll post up some pictures as soon as I get it back from Ford service.

Last edited:
Ok DiamondPilot, how did you break into Builders account and post this? :D

On a side note, there's not much selection in the class 5 trucks with a bed. Now get that Powerstroke out of there and put a medium duty engine in that medium duty truck. ;)

For $28k, that sounds like a heck of a deal. How many miles?

I thought it was a good deal. 43,000 miles.
It's definately not a real medium duty engine (6.7L, DT466, 8.3 Cummins, etc.), but it will need to do medium duty work.

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #9  
you got a real nice truck for a great price.

/ After comparing, bought an F-550 #10  
Builder,
What equipment are you planning to haul with this and what does it weigh?

I used my F550 to haul some ornamental rock with the 14k dump trailer this weekend and it did a great job. First time I had a real load on the trailer to try it out, my total gross weight was around 25,000 lbs and no problems pulling up the mountain roads here.